PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth $130 to you?

Alex Elias
06-26-2007, 5:55 AM
First of all I like to introduce my self to the group, this is my first post and hopefully there are more to come. So far I'm pretty impressed by the groups. The forum looks very well laid out and people very helpful.
I live in Palmdale CA, and I started with this hobby about 11 years ago. My real job is at Galpin for (car dealer) working at the finance dept.
Now to the question. I needed a lumber rack and without a whole lot of tought I went to Lowes and $130 later I came back with this. I like how it looks and it seems sturdy but not rock solid. I like to know what is the feedback of you guys. Does any of you use this method? Does it seems strong enough for you or are you using a more affordable way to store the wood. I have more wood that still does not fit there but I don't feel comfortable loading more weight to that. I'm kind of worry as it is and also I can't go any lower since I'm going to put a work bench against the wall.
The racks are 6' from side to side and 16" deep there are 3 vertical memberswhich 2 are secured to studs the 3rd one isn't. On top there is a cross member doing most of the work and is attached with 9 #12 x 2" screws only 2 fall in studs and the other 7 have anchors.
Thanks for your oppinions and suggestions.
I would appreciate if someone can share pictures of their wood racks I'm not 100% sold on this system yet.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Wood-Rack-04.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Wood-Rack-03.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Wood-Rack-01.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Wood-Rack-02.jpg

Matt Meiser
06-26-2007, 7:31 AM
Holding up that much wood with 9 screws, even if all 9 screws were in solid wood, would scare me. Since only two of them are, I wouldn't feel safe at all. I'm not sure if it is just this way in the photos or not, but it looks like it is already sagging. My lumber rack is made from 2x6 and 3/4" steel pipe so that doesn't really meet your criteria for easy.

I think Lowes sells a heavier-duty shelving system that others have used. I would use the heaviest stuff you can, and mount the tracks right to the studs, not hang them from the top rail. That's fine for a typical household load, but wood is too heavy. If you mount the tracks right to the studs, you'll have several screws per track all in solid ground. Woodcraft also sells an very heavy duty track system.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I think you are asking a lot from this system--especially with one of the verticals not firmly attached to a stud. I would move that support to a stud even it it causes it to look off balance. Keep a close eye on this system. I like to look of it, but I question its utility.

glenn bradley
06-26-2007, 1:23 PM
I'm glad you posted as I'm considering a similar system. I plan to run verticals on 16" centers ALL screwed to studs. The verticals allow for 1/4" screws and with good reason I assume. I will also skip the mesh shelves and use 11" arms to avoid overloading.

I prefer more arms with less vertical space to prevent overstacking and to make it easier to get at what I'm after without having to remove a lot of other material.

Now, for what you spent, you could have gotten two Triton racks but I'm trying to verify if the verticals can be cut in half as I want to have about 20-odd inches of storage just below the ceiling line.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4793

P.s. I did some more digging and got this .pdf that gives a good view of the construction:

http://www.triton.com.au/documents/download.php?id=66

It appears that the verticals could be modified to meet my needs but I'll have to spec out my original idea to check the cost.

Alex Elias
06-26-2007, 2:39 PM
Thanks for the answers. I think it is ove loaded I'll return the rack and make something of my own.
I might go the 2x4 or 2x6 with 3/4" pipe. How do you securely attach the 2x6 to the wall?
Thanks four the imput.

Matt Meiser
06-26-2007, 3:19 PM
Alex, what I did won't work for you since my shop is a pole barn. But what I did was drill slightly angled holes into the edge of a 2x6 about 4" deep that accept the 3/4" pipes. The 2x6 verticals were attached to a top and bottom plate (think of the way a stud wall is built.) Then the whole assembly was inserted between two of the poles and another 2x6 was bolted top and bottom to the pole and the rack. It also sits on some blocks on the floor to help support the weight. Here is a picture: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4640&d=1075689725

You could probably use large screws or lag bolts to lag the the 2x4's into the existing wall studs. If you can, run them all the way to the floor which will support most of the weight, then the wall just keeps it from tipping over.

Rick Gibson
06-26-2007, 4:16 PM
Alex what I did was buy the shelf brackets and screw them to a 2x4 heavy duty ones on the bottom where the heavy stuff is stored. It's pretty empty in this picture but you can see the type of brackets used. Right now the rack is full and you can't see the wall behind it so it is sturdy and has held for 5 years now.

Rick Gooden
06-26-2007, 4:35 PM
Alex,

I have s wall system from Woodcraft for around $60 that is very solid, however I have just built a rack that allows me to stack my lumber vertically. I alloted 6' x 2' of space and can stack an incredible amount of wood in it while freeing up a lot of room. Right now I have about 300 bf stored with room to spare. I had been thinking along these lines for a long time and am glad I finally did it. Just a thought. Rummaging through to find the right board is lots easier too.

Rick

Alex Elias
06-26-2007, 5:25 PM
Alex,

I have s wall system from Woodcraft for around $60 that is very solid, however I have just built a rack that allows me to stack my lumber vertically. I alloted 6' x 2' of space and can stack an incredible amount of wood in it while freeing up a lot of room. Right now I have about 300 bf stored with room to spare. I had been thinking along these lines for a long time and am glad I finally did it. Just a thought. Rummaging through to find the right board is lots easier too.

Rick

Do you have a picture of that rack you've build? 2'x6' on the floor it's about the same space I used on the wall with this rack.
I will bring mine down and make something of my own but I'm open for ideas.
Thanks you all for your imput so far.
Alex

Al Willits
06-26-2007, 5:29 PM
Having a tendency to overbuild everything, I made mine out of 1/2" heavy wall sq metal tubing, I have them spaced about 24" apart and mounted to 2x4's that are lag screwed to the studs.
I noticed some shelfs had a bit of sagging when the supports were to far apart and 24" seems to work fine.

But I do agree, yours seems a bit flimsy to be used for a lot of wood.

Al

Jeff Raymond
06-26-2007, 5:29 PM
I'm feeling a bit nervous about that weight on the wall.

Had a 'big idea' a number of years ago and built a huge rack on an outside wall (2x6 construction) which eventually bent the outside wall.

So I'm back to keeping wood on the floor, sticked up where needed. I don't like the idea of heavy wood over my head if I can help it.

Rick Gooden
06-26-2007, 6:00 PM
Alex,

This is the first time I have attached pictures so I hope it comes out ok. Ran out and took some pix with old camera. I built the unit with a backward slant of 4 degrees to allow the wood to sit securely.

Rick

Bill Wyko
06-26-2007, 7:25 PM
I just bought a wood rack at woodcraft today. 49 bucks on sale. I'm going to put it up this weekend. I'll let you know how it works ASAP

Alex Elias
06-26-2007, 7:41 PM
Rick I like the way you solved your storage needs. The only issue with me is that I'm running out of floor and walls for that sake. I kind of need the space under the rack. I guess I'll have to buy wood as I need it and have a modest rack with some at hand. So far I'm inclined to the 2x4 and metal pipe method fast easy inexpensive and sturdy. (It meets most of my specs)
Thanks again

Scot wolf
06-26-2007, 8:43 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/495899.JPGHere's mine. I grabbed some 5/4 white oak out of the barn. So the wood was free (more or less). Added 3 sticks of 3/4" EMT and a couple of dozen #14x3" screws that were less than $20. I also bought a drill bit that was $7 because I didn't have the right size. I bored the holes at 3 degrees and after screwing the cleats to the wall I continued drilling thru the sheetrock and into the wall studs a 1/2" to 3/4". It's rock solid.

Mike Langford
06-26-2007, 9:24 PM
I always overbuild too......my rack is 6' wide but only 12" deep. The only reason I built using so many wall rails(5) is I bought the three 6'x12" wire shelves,five 48" slotted wall rails,and (only) four 12" shelf brackets for $10 at a yard sale......I then bought ten more shelf brackets at Lowes for about $50!
The wall rails are mounted on the studs using 3" drywall screws at all the screw hole locations!!!
For what little "scrap wood" I've got.......that rack ain't goin' nowhere!:eek:

CPeter James
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Here is mine. Some angle iron and a few minutes welding and it works great. Lagged to the studs.

CPeter

Alan Tolchinsky
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Alex,

Rick

Hi Rick, That sounds like a great storage solution. Have a pic?

RickT Harding
06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
...snip...
Here's mine. I grabbed some 5/4 white oak out of the barn. So the wood was free (more or less). Added 3 sticks of 3/4" EMT and a couple of dozen #14x3" screws that were less than $20. I also bought a drill bit that was $7 because I didn't have the right size. I bored the holes at 3 degrees and after screwing the cleats to the wall I continued drilling thru the sheetrock and into the wall studs a 1/2" to 3/4". It's rock solid.

That's awesome. I love how you can adjust the "shelf" heights in that.

Rick Gooden
06-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Alan,

I posted a couple pix earlier in the thread.

Rick

Alan Tolchinsky
06-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Oops, I missed them. Thanks.