PDA

View Full Version : Chick and Duck

Roger Bell
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
I saw the Chick and Duck Mfg version of the "Longworth Chuck" the other night at my turning club. The person who had it seemed to like it well enough but I didn't actually get to see it in action, nor did I get to talk to the guy. What's more, the manufacturer, while located in Oregon, is not listed as a vendor at the AAW Symposium in PDX this weekend. I was hoping to meet some manufacturer reps there. There was a favorable write-up in More Woodturning...a west-coast turning mag.

go here: http://www.chickandduckmfg.com/index2.html

Any of you guys familiar with this? Worth the money? How about as compared with the Oneway jumbo-jaws (not a Longworth design).

Randy Rhine
06-26-2007, 1:06 AM
A Longworth style chuck comes in handy at times, but you can save yourself a few bucks by making one yourself. They are really easy to make.

randy

joe greiner
06-26-2007, 9:23 AM
Within the past month, I made two Longworths. The large one uses intermediate jaws in expansion mode - needed the four-jaw chuck to get past the lathe motor, and didn't want to dedicate a faceplate. The smaller one accommodates smaller bowls and mounts directly on the spindle. They're not at all hard to make, just need to be careful with the details. Google "longworth chuck" and you'll find adequate instructions. I posted on another forum, but I need to edit out the metrics and resolve links before I post here. Meanwhile, there's a partial detail here under "General Woodworking and Power Tools" - Router Compass.

One technical problem I see with the Portland product is that the arcs cross steeper than the conventional Longworth design. This makes them less resistant to self-rotation, like very very coarse threads on a threaded fastener. They solve this by adding a hub lock, as well as pliers to assist with clamping. Consider their prices versus making your own, and make your own judgment.

I'm not acquainted with the jumbo jaws, but if they're essentially Cole jaws, you need to relocate the buttons for different sizes, whereas the Longworth and Portland styles span their full range in one sweep.

Joe

Jim Underwood
06-26-2007, 9:30 AM
Nice looking chuck.

But nary a peep about the material used. They sure are close with that secret.

Looks like anondized aluminum or phenolic.

Anyone have a clue?

joe greiner
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd guess phenolic, unless they anodize after cutting the slots (see pictures - slots are too dark for bare aluminum, I think). Also, might be hard to meet cost targets by milling aluminum, even with CNC; phenolic can be routed same as wood.

Joe

Jerry Robnett
06-26-2007, 8:15 PM
I saw the Chick and Duck Mfg version of the "Longworth Chuck" the other night at my turning club. The person who had it seemed to like it well enough but I didn't actually get to see it in action, nor did I get to talk to the guy. What's more, the manufacturer, while located in Oregon, is not listed as a vendor at the AAW Symposium in PDX this weekend. I was hoping to meet some manufacturer reps there. There was a favorable write-up in More Woodturning...a west-coast turning mag.

go here: http://www.chickandduckmfg.com/index2.html

Any of you guys familiar with this? Worth the money? How about as compared with the Oneway jumbo-jaws (not a Longworth design).
They just have been added to the vendor list.

Jerry

Don Eddard
06-26-2007, 8:39 PM
They look real nice, but for almost $300 for the 14" model, I can make a whole lot of Longworth chucks out of plywood. Making them is not rocket science, and it can be done with not much more than a router and a drill.