PDA

View Full Version : a couple bowls for granny

Cory Martin
06-25-2007, 11:07 PM
A couple more pecan survived. I had alot of tear-out in both, but I think I know what I was doing wrong. I also had trouble cutting the rings on the outside of the bowl. The tool wanted to skate down to the bottom of the bowl. Any suggestions? Antique oil and paste wax finish.

Thanks for looking
Cory

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2007, 12:08 AM
The bowl is a beauty Cory. I like the wood and finish. Nice job.

Tom Sherman
06-26-2007, 3:44 PM
Nice bowl Cory

Keith Burns
06-26-2007, 3:53 PM
Cory, this is a great bowl. Excellent form and the finish looks great. Keep doin' what your doin', it's working.:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2007, 4:22 PM
Very nice looking bowl Cory!

I like the way you softened the lip. Good looking wood and finish. As far as tear-out - general rule is to use sharp tools and light passes. As far the detail rings - what were you using as a tool? Sounds like you were trying to rub a bevel and it kept getting away from you. Just curious.

Nice bowl. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Cory Martin
06-26-2007, 6:04 PM
Thanks Guys. Steve, I started out using the tip of a 1/2 skew to just mark the line, and it would chase towards the bottom or at least thats the best way I can desrcibe it. I then used a parting tool and it did the same thing. I tried again today starting with the parting tool. I raised the tool rest and made two cuts on each ring coming in at a 45 degree angle and that seemed to work better. But it still felt ....odd.