PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Top Question

Michael Lutz
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
I am starting to design my Router Table. It will sit in the right extension table of my cabinet saw. The fence rails for the table saw need to attach to top in some way. If I construct it similar to my current extension table, I could use a 1" thickness of BB plywood laminated on both sides (I don't like MDF) with a narrowly spaced support frame so I can receive the bolts from the TS rails. The other option would be to make a 2.25" thick top laminated top an bottom and attach the rails into T-nut inserts. What would be easier and what would be stronger.

I was planning to mount the RT fence to the TS Fence.

I have heard conflicting views on whether or not to install a miter track in the table. Should I? How far should the edge be from the center of the plate ? The extension table will be 35" x 28".

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Lutz
06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Since I originally posted this in the wrong forum which didn't have much traffic. It was switched after a day by which time a majority of people had missed it.

Mike

Bruce Wrenn
06-27-2007, 10:23 PM
First, why on the right side? By mounting on left side, you feed stock the same direction as when sawing. How many operations do you do that the fence is more than 3" from the bit? Table doesn't have to be super deep. You can drill and tap some holes in the CI saw top for fence of router table. Oh no, I've done it now, suggest that someone deface the perfect top of their saw by drilling into it. Just wait, the nay sayers will come out in force. If you don't want to drill into saw, get a pair of those cheap feather boards that lock in the miter slots. Use them for fence mounting. Route elongated holes in fence bottom board to allow for adjustment. Instead of a miter slot, you can make a sled that rides along left edge of router table. By being on left side, you can mount router directly to table top, without a plate (ala Pat Warner).

Michael Lutz
06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Bruce,

I have a PM 66 table saw. The left side of my TS is occupied by the motor and cover which eat up all the space under the left cast iron ring.

I also already have the lift and the router. I also would like to be able to switch out my PC OSS mounted to the plate and have a large table for spindle sanding.

Thanks,

Mike