View Full Version : Concrete grinder to cleanup floor?

Mike Cornelsen
06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Shop is a 40yr old garage. Lots of grease and paint stains on the concrete floor. Rented a 3700psi power washer and it cleaned the dirt up very well. Grease and paint stains really show up now.
I'm considering concrete stain if I can ever get it clean enough.
I'm sure someone has cleaned up their floor with a concrete grinder and I'm curious as to their experience.
Thanks!

mark page
06-26-2007, 6:44 AM
I have used a concrete sander and it creates a lot of dust and lots of noise. Ear protection is a must if it is of the same design I used. I might also add that I have never had any luck with concrete stain. It will lift away from the concrete especially on chemical spills and from auto tires if you park your car anywheres on it. I have better luck with epoxy paint.

Russ Filtz
06-26-2007, 7:56 AM
See if you can find someone that does hydrodemolition in your area. This is SUPER high pressure water (15,000+ psi) that will eat away concrete down to the rebar/aggregate and leave it pristine and ready for new concrete or coatings. They should be able to regulate how far down to go. Some do it manually and some use an automatic machine the travels along. Note you need to wear special protective gear while doing this!

Might be more money than you want to spend but it's worth a look. I would assume that oil/grease has penetrated pretty far and might be hard to get up any other way.

Mike Cornelsen
06-26-2007, 8:19 AM
I've never heard of hydrodemolition. The floor is only 26x13 and if I decide to replace the whole floor, that's something to investigate.
Storage shed would be a better description than garage. There hasn't been a vehicle inside of it for 20yrs so hot tires aren't a problem. I considered epoxy but from what I've read in other posts it can be slippery when it has sawdust on it and people who sanded it wished they hadn't because sweeping up was a pain.
Additionally the floor was poured without expansion joints so there are various cracks throughout it. Nothing you can't easily roll equipment over but I'm guessing that if the concrete cracked, eventually epoxy would too.
Also, moisture isn't a problem.
Actually, I can live with it as it is. Grease doesn't come up when you walk on it. If I spill something it's no big deal. Just wipe it up as best I can.
I'm not trying for an ideal shop; just wanting to improve what I have.
If I can get it cleaned up enough, I'm considering H&C concrete stain. Stain may not wear the best or last for a decade but maintenance seems easy enough from what I've read on other posts. If it gets beat up, just clean it up and restain.

Phil Thien
06-26-2007, 9:13 AM
Have you tried any concrete cleaners containing sodium metasilicate?

Whatever you do, don't put any solvents on the stains, the solvents will penetrate and carry the stain deeper.

I'd just attack with cleaners.

Gary Ratajczak
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
If you calculate all the time and expense for stripping, I would guess $$$. I know local big box stores carry a square of stranboard with some shallow egg crate bumps on the back. They interlock. Lay those down for a nice smooth (cushy) floor, or even cover with your choice of plywood, tiles, luan..... no more stains, oil, cracks, uneven, etc.. Just my two cents.

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2007, 2:26 PM
http://www.radonseal.com/cleaners/universal-cleaner.htm

Robert Mayer
06-26-2007, 5:05 PM
It would work pretty well. Just make sure you rent one with a dust collector or you will have a huge mess. Cheap shopvacs will clog very quickly. Home depot rents them.

Jim Nardi
06-26-2007, 7:42 PM
We've had stonehard do alot of different floors in a oily enviroment like compressor rooms. They clean the floor with a industrial floor scrubber and purple pad which is very coarse and some concrete cleaners. Then apply a bonder and epoxy coating. It has held up in some spots for over 10 years.

http://www.stonhard.com/

Mike Cornelsen
06-26-2007, 8:53 PM
Phil: You've taught me a new term, sodium metasilicate? I'll have to research that.
Dave: If I don't find anything locally that appeals to me, I'll gamble on a jug.
Gary: I'm researching various floor coverings but I thought I'd try to clean up the existing floor first. Time and expense don't mean much in this case because it's a hobby. Any shoptime is good time whether working on the shop, in the shop or just sitting in the shop.
Jim: I think I'll get me some sodium metasilicate http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif and try a floor buffer with a coarse pad. Stonhard would be a way to go in a pro shop where customer impressions matter.

I think I'll keep the concrete grinder as a last resort if I don't cover it.
And just as I expected, thoughtful responses from Creeker's. My favorite forum.