PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Used 5HP Sawstop

Mac Cambra
06-25-2007, 6:57 PM
I thought I would see how many of you Sawstop owners would be willing to sell their saws. I was hoping to grab a bargain based on all of the dissatisfied owners on this website.:D :D

Don Bullock
06-25-2007, 7:39 PM
I'll sell you mine for $7000 plus shipping/handling (buyer responsible for crating, etc.). Then I could buy another one plus the jointer and planer I want.;) :D

Joe Mioux
06-25-2007, 7:58 PM
I thought I would see how many of you Sawstop owners would be willing to sell their saws. I was hoping to grab a bargain based on all of the dissatisfied owners on this website.:D :D

They don't exist. ;)

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 9:14 PM
Am I hearing this correctly? Do I understand there's a machinery product currently manufactured in the US which is of high quality and reasonable value? Stop the madness.

Jim Becker
06-25-2007, 9:16 PM
Am I hearing this correctly? Do I understand there's a machinery product currently manufactured in the US which is of high quality and reasonable value? Stop the madness.

SS is not made in the US.
--------

Mac, you're going to have to hope for an inside track on an estate sale...which in itself, is an unfortunate event.

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 9:27 PM
Well, shoot. Nevermind.

Gee, I'm sure there's a lot of excess manufacturing capacity in the Detroit area these days. Maybe somebody will start making something there. Perhaps we should suggest this to the folks at SawStop. :D

Dave Sabo
06-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Pat - I don't think it's a capacity issue, rather a cost/quality issue.

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
^^ Oh, I know. It's just sad that so many people lost their jobs in Detroit while so much stuff is manufactured overseas and imported. I fully understand all the reasons. It's just too bad. I also know it's really a topic for another thread. I was just under the impression SawStop made their hardware domestically. I should have known better.

And now, back to wanting to buy a used SawStop. :)

Mac Cambra
06-26-2007, 1:54 PM
I expected to see a whole lot more responses like Don's because there is nothing we like talking more about than Sawstops except maybe Festool.........:D

Anyway just trying to amuse myself.

Bill Neely
06-26-2007, 2:28 PM
One on Craig's list in Eugene, Oregon today.

Ronald Seto
06-26-2007, 3:15 PM
What are you saying? Dissatisfied owners of Sawstop or of the other saw that was replaced by Sawstop.:confused:

Homer Faucett
06-26-2007, 3:46 PM
Price of new Sawstop: $2799
Price of 52" Fence: $369
Total: $3168

Asking price for saw on Craig's list in Eugene, Oregon: $3200

Granted, he might have had to pay a shipping cost (maybe not, he is not that far from the Sawstop HQ), and he had to pay tax. Somehow, it doesn't seem like he's dying to get rid of his Sawstop, either.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/360622333.html

Bill Neely
06-26-2007, 4:39 PM
My post wasn't intended as an editorial Homer, just reporting a fact. :rolleyes:

Mike Henderson
06-26-2007, 5:07 PM
Price of new Sawstop: $2799
Price of 52" Fence: $369
Total: $3168

Asking price for saw on Craig's list in Eugene, Oregon: $3200

Granted, he might have had to pay a shipping cost (maybe not, he is not that far from the Sawstop HQ), and he had to pay tax. Somehow, it doesn't seem like he's dying to get rid of his Sawstop, either.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/360622333.html

I don't think Oregon has a sales tax, if that's the kind of tax you were referring to. But I could be wrong - I don't live there.

Mike

Homer Faucett
06-26-2007, 5:36 PM
Why the sarcastic rolling of eyes? I, too, was just "reporting a fact" to give your brief comment some context, and to provide a link to the Craig's List listing. If I'm misinterpreting your rolleyes gremlin, my apologies.

FYI, the saw in Eugene Oregon does not appear to be a 5hp model.

My post wasn't intended as an editorial Homer, just reporting a fact. :rolleyes:

Homer Faucett
06-26-2007, 5:59 PM
Wow, that did not even cross my mind. You are absolutely correct--"All states except Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, collect sales taxes." So this guy is potentially selling his used Sawstop for more than he paid for it? Maybe not, as he may have some other features that he did not list in the ad, but his asking price seems to be very close to retail price. Hence, my statement that he doesn't seem too motivated to sell it.

Does anyone want to buy my Sawstop with Incra TSLS fence and Exaktor sliding table for $5500? :D

I don't think Oregon has a sales tax, if that's the kind of tax you were referring to. But I could be wrong - I don't live there.

Mike

Mac Cambra
06-26-2007, 6:25 PM
My original post was meant as a joke because I knew that there would by some funny responses given the strong feeling about the Sawstop.

I didn't expect the response to turn into a discussion on domestic versus foreign manufacture, etc..

Frankly I am floored that someone is listing one on craiglist, and if I was in Oregon I would buy it assuming it is the 5HP model. The pricing is good if you don't have to ship.

Jim Becker
06-26-2007, 8:22 PM
Be nice, folks... ;)

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jim Becker
06-26-2007, 8:23 PM
So this guy is potentially selling his used Sawstop for more than he paid for it? Maybe not, as he may have some other features that he did not list in the ad, but his asking price seems to be very close to retail price. Hence, my statement that he doesn't seem too motivated to sell it.

Actually, I think he'll probably get what he is asking for the machine. They are hot in the market and "available now" beats "wait awhile" for many folks.

Jeff Miller
06-26-2007, 8:24 PM
I will sell you this SAW STOP:eek:

The way it works is you plug your SAW into it push the green button to START SAW, push off button to stop saw= SAW STOP. I won't charge you for the SAW START. See you get two for the price of one.

Price $444.44

:D:D:D:D Oh dang I'm having fun :D:D:D:D

JEFF

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/IMG_5799.jpg
(http://usera.imagecave.com/wizardefc/IMG_5799.JPG)

Homer Faucett
06-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I understand the desire of having it right now. I bought mine direct from the retailer in Indy. They sold their in stock 5hp model the day before, and I bought the 3hp model they had in stock. There are other dealers that do the same. If the seller gets full or nearly full retail for a used machine, more power to him.

Personally, for a machine that has been on the market for less than 10 years, I want to make sure I have full privity of contract with the manufacturer in case anything goes wrong.

Actually, I think he'll probably get what he is asking for the machine. They are hot in the market and "available now" beats "wait awhile" for many folks.

Mac Cambra
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Don't forget the ~$500 the manufacturer tacks on for shipping as well. I am assuming the seller is a private owner and not a dealer six the saw is 6 months old.

No tax + no shipping = big savings

I think he'll get real close to asking price.

Homer Faucett
06-27-2007, 1:07 PM
I would agree that tax savings and shipping savings might ordinarily play a big part in purchasing a SS, but there is not much savings in this particular instance. I referenced both in my first post, but noted that this guy, or anyone else around him, may not have needed to get shipping since it is close to the Sawstop HQ. Mike then noted that there is no sales tax in Oregon.

So, even assuming that he paid full shipping price with lift gate to his residence (which I did not pay on my Sawstop), the price break you are getting by buying a 6 month old SS is about $300, since anyone buying the saw new in Oregon would not be paying sales tax. (delivery and liftgate to Oregon residents is $325--the price varies depending upon the state you purchase in, with Oregon being one of the cheapest since SS Headquarters is there). Sure, 10% off isn't bad on a saw that never goes on sale, but I'd rather pay the extra to know that I have no problems with warranty transfer on a saw that is designed to save my digits.

Don't forget the ~$500 the manufacturer tacks on for shipping as well. I am assuming the seller is a private owner and not a dealer six the saw is 6 months old.

No tax + no shipping = big savings

I think he'll get real close to asking price.

Michael Weber
06-27-2007, 3:21 PM
Hey, my daughter lives in Eugene. Need to drive up and see her anyway:D
hummmmm. nah. sigh.

Chuck Lenz
06-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Jeff Miller, I have to ask, what piece of machinery is that switch made for ? I see it has a quick disconnect to the motor, or is that a disconnect to the switch ?

Bill Neely
06-28-2007, 3:06 AM
Why the sarcastic rolling of eyes? I, too, was just "reporting a fact" to give your brief comment some context, and to provide a link to the Craig's List listing. If I'm misinterpreting your rolleyes gremlin, my apologies.

FYI, the saw in Eugene Oregon does not appear to be a 5hp model.

Sorry Homer, too much coffee.