PDA

View Full Version : Painters - How do you avoid fogging goggles w/ mask???

John Hulett
06-25-2007, 6:41 PM
I had the distinct pleasure of using an airless sprayer this weekend. I donned my long sleeved shirt, jeans, hat, a mask and safety glasses. When I had the mask (3M type) covering my nose, my breath fogged up the glasses and I couldn't see. The second day, I used goggles, and had the same experience. Both days I ended up having the mask cover my mouth, but not nose, and tried to breath exclusively through my mouth. It worked out okay, but I still ended up with major paint-colored boogers at the end of the day.:rolleyes:

What could I do in the future to avoid the fog? What do you do or use?

Thanks,
John

Al Willits
06-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Try your local motor cycle shop, look for anti fog stuff, I have in in a little jar that you coat the lens with on helmet face shields

Al

Jason Roehl
06-26-2007, 7:56 AM
If your breath was fogging up your goggles, then your mask didn't fit properly. I don't wear goggles when I spray, but I do wear glasses, and they do not fog. Part of what helps is that I use the 7500 series 3M mask, which has a softer seal and the exhale flap opens with less force (less likely to have air forced out elsewhere). You might consider using safety glasses with side shields instead of goggles if you're spraying WB products. You'll still get a little in your eyes, but at least for me, it doesn't affect me (my eyes and tears do their job).

Now, based on what your wrote--long sleeves, long pants, etc., and your location (CA), I'm thinking your goggles may be fogging just due to you being all bundled up and hot.

Personally, I just take a shower when I'm done spraying. I don't like to be over-dressed or wear those Tyvek suits---majorly uncomfortable. If you want to keep the overspray off your skin, just rub on a thin coat of petroleum jelly before you start.

Scott Loven
06-26-2007, 8:05 AM
Wear a double strap respirator with an exhalation valve. Better yet wear a cartridge respirator and do a fit check before you start. Hold a hand over each intake, you should get zero air leakage when you breath in. Tighten up if you do.
Scott

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-26-2007, 8:20 AM
You need a better mask. Get one that covers you nose and mouth with a rubber body and has a couple of filter cartridges. I like carbon filters.
Whatever you were wearing is inadequate for that task.

For $30.00 you can protect your respiratory system from a lot of harm.

David G Baker
06-26-2007, 9:33 AM
For some reason I have an excessive amount of moisture in my breath and have had this fogging problem for years. The two strap mask with dual filters has been the best solution so far. The paper masks are almost useless to me due to fogging and are right up there with the face shield I use when using my grinding wheel. You should see the inside of my welding mask after using it for a while. I am going to have to try the anti-fog to see if it helps.

John Shuk
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
One of the simplest things you can do to help is to CLEAN the lenses of the goggles well. Often there are manufacturing residues and or dust particles that are there that should be removed. It may make a big difference. I like to use a dab of dish detergent on my fingertip to clean lenses and the make sure to rinse it well since a soap film will help capture exhaled moisture as well.

Craig Kershaw
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
This works for me when I go scuba diving, a bit gross but it works. In fact when I took the scuba course the instructor suggested it and said if you didn't want to do it she would do it for you. Basically, just spit in the mask and then wash/wipe it out. I don't know why it works but it does.

John Hulett
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Part of what helps is that I use the 7500 series 3M mask.

Is this a good "all purpose" respriator, or is it intendeded for spraying? In other words, will it do a good job for stuff like sanding or the like with general woodworking too? Either way, I think I'll give this a try.

You might consider using safety glasses with side shields.

That's what I ended up using. Still had a little fogging, but not as bad as the goggles.

Now, based on what your wrote--long sleeves, long pants, etc., and your location (CA), I'm thinking your goggles may be fogging just due to you being all bundled up and hot.

This was certainly the case when I got started in the morning, being cooler and more humidity in the air. By 11:00 AM or so, it was hot enough and dry enough that the fogging was greatly diminished.

If you want to keep the overspray off your skin, just rub on a thin coat of petroleum jelly before you start.

Cool tip!

This works for me when I go scuba diving, a bit gross but it works. In fact when I took the scuba course the instructor suggested it and said if you didn't want to do it she would do it for you. Basically, just spit in the mask and then wash/wipe it out. I don't know why it works but it does.

I did a little skin diving in my youth and used this trick back then. I tried it, but it didn't work at all.

Scott Loven
06-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Roehl http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=610108#post610108)
Part of what helps is that I use the 7500 series 3M mask.

Is this a good "all purpose" respriator, or is it intendeded for spraying? In other words, will it do a good job for stuff like sanding or the like with general woodworking too? Either way, I think I'll give this a try.
You can buy solvent cartridges or dust filters that screw onto the mask depending on what you are doing.
Scott

Ed Garrett
06-26-2007, 1:17 PM
John,

Fogging goggles is a serious problem in Florida. I'm not a painter, but I've got a solution that works great for me. In my shop I have a system for breathing fresh air. It consists of a face mask / hood, 4" plastic flexible dryer hose, an in-line muffin fan, and an air intake mounted on an outside wall. I made a post about it with pictures back in February. Not only do you not fog with this system, you only breath clean air. No dust, paint, or chemical fumes get in your eyes or lungs. It's not as hard to rig up as it sounds, and the cost was minimal.