PDA

View Full Version : Granite/Marble Display

Gregg Vaughn
06-25-2007, 2:51 PM
I'm still very new to laser engraving and have been experimenting mostly with marble and granite. Does anyone have ideas for displaying granite or marble "plaques" other than on a 3-point stand or hanging as a plaque? Is there a source for a frame that a standard 12x12 granite floor tile will fit in to? Has anyone tried drilling mounting holes through the material?

Craig Hogarth
06-25-2007, 6:02 PM
Lasersketch has two tile frames, one for 5x7 and one for 6x8. I bought some for the 6x8, but it leaves a 1/8 inch gap on the long side and a quarter on the short. I cut an acrylic "frame" to put around the tile before putting in the frame and it comes out nicely. Lasersketch also sells a drill bit (a little pricey) supposedly made for marble. I bought one, but it comes in two pieces and the second piece wasn't mailed till last Friday.

I also have some stuff on order from www.dye-sublimation-products.com. Look under tile accessories and tile frames.

It's not due to arrive until this Friday, but I think they'll work fine. I ordered frames for 6 inch squares, 12 inch squares, a 12x24 inch frame, easel backs (glue on picture frame stands) for various sizes and some sticky hangers that allow you hang them from a nail. I'll be playing with them this coming weekend hopefully and will let you know how it turns out.

Frank Corker
06-25-2007, 6:03 PM
Gregg if you search on easels you will have more success on your searches. As for drilling the granite, I had to drill 4 holes into a piece once and I remember thinking, "that's the last time I do that!" It seemed to take forever and the drill bits have to really be up to the challenge

Gregg Vaughn
06-26-2007, 7:46 AM
Thanks everyone ... I appreciate the information and ideas!

Greg

Belinda Barfield
06-26-2007, 8:05 AM
Has anyone tried drilling mounting holes through the material?

For the best result in drilling granite or marble, granite particularly, you need a diamond impregnated bit. At one time Dremel had a line, but they are difficult to find around our area. Check out www.braxtonbragg.com (http://www.braxtonbragg.com). The smallest bit they carry is 0.25". I think the price on that one is around $55.00, not that bad as you should get a lot of use out of it. I believe you will need a grinder, or similar tool, to use with this bit. Cordless drills, etc., don't typically work. The key to drilling stone is to use water. Drilling with water is much faster, and prolongs the life of the bit. If you need more info feel free to PM me or e-mail me.

Good luck!