PDA

View Full Version : question about these finials

keith zimmerman
06-25-2007, 2:26 PM
I have been playing with a finial to finish off a catalpa lidded box that is 1 1/2" tall by 5 1/2" in diameter and came up with these two designs. Is one of these the best, or does it need a different design alltogether?

I am still trying to work out what would be an appropriate finial for this box.

Opinions are definitely welcome.

Thanks in advance.

keith

Paul Engle
06-25-2007, 2:37 PM
I think ya got a winner in both , they look great on the box, nice job all the way around Keith.

Jim Becker
06-25-2007, 2:45 PM
I think that the second one (on the right) is a better fit for the form of the box...it "feels" better to me. Both are nice finials, however!

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 2:49 PM
Both nice finals. If I had to choose between the two the second one. But a better choice there may be. I think a thinner final would be better served. I think the height is ok, just seems a little heavy to me. (say the guy who has only on final to his credit, and not a great on at that)

Christopher K. Hartley
06-25-2007, 2:49 PM
Both are great, but personally I like the first one the best with this paticular turning. Great Job!:)

Tom Sherman
06-25-2007, 3:56 PM
Keith they are both nice finials however I prefer the one on the right for this form.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2007, 4:11 PM
Keith both are beauties. I really like the one on the right for the form you have.

Nancy Laird
06-25-2007, 5:19 PM
Keith, I'm not saying this to be contrary with (almost) everyone else, but I really like the one on the left with this form.

Nancy

Brian Myers
06-25-2007, 7:04 PM
I agree with Nancy, the one on the left. The one on the right makes it look too squat. Have you considered one maybe a little taller?

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-25-2007, 10:34 PM
My vote is for the right. The form is flowing and the rounded finial also flows. The left hand one is angular.

Just MHO. Both are Very nice.

Bruce

Alex Elias
06-26-2007, 6:14 AM
I can't say I like one more than the other one on their own. But to me the one on the right complement the box better, altough I would like it a bit more slender still.

Paul Heely
06-26-2007, 6:31 AM
Like everyone else I think you did a great job on both. Personally I prefer the one on the right, it's shape seems to fit better to me.

--
Paul

Jonathon Spafford
06-27-2007, 1:14 AM
I really like the one on the left... has a nice look to it. Almost reminds me of a fancy chess piece! I like both, but I definitely would cast my vote for the left!

Montgomery Scott
06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I really like both of the finials; the intricacy and common geometry from top to bottom with a nice proportionality throughout. I would say lose the box and redesign it to fit the finials. The box is uninspired and ordinary when compared to the finials.

Bill Wyko
06-27-2007, 1:00 PM
IMHO I would like the one on the right if it were a little thinner towards the top and with a little more definition at the peak. They are both very nice though and the piece itself is beautiful.

Brian Brown
06-27-2007, 4:33 PM
Keith,

Remember that opinions are worth what you pay for them (in this case nothing). Both are very nice, but I would like to see the top of the right one a bit more delicate, and on a different piece. The style and angularity of the left one are more in tune with the box shape where the profile changes direction.

Brian