PDA

View Full Version : looking for an inexpensive starter hollowing tool

Patrick Taylor
06-25-2007, 1:57 PM
I need a hollowing tool (hook shaped) but don't need anything fancy, yet. I want to try some HF's and need something simple just to get the feel for it. I think I remember hearing about a guy that makes his own that are pretty inexpensive. Any suggestions? FYI, I won't be going very deep or wide, since I'm currently on a Jet mini.

John Revilla
06-25-2007, 2:31 PM
Hi Patrick,
I'm a newbie too and still gathering the courage to turn my first bowl or HF. I too am enjoying my JET Mini. As for the hollowing tool, in my opinion, investing in a Robert Sorby Multi tip hollowing tool ($75.00) will be cheaper in the long run. Godspeed.

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 2:53 PM
Yup make your own. If you have the ability to tap some screws and can sharpen a tip. I found this article a couple of months ago. Still getting the items together to mak emy own. Only thing lacking now is the time.
(moderator's delete this link if it is not allowed, I don't think it is forum, but article related, but seeing that woodcentral has a forum area??)

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/hollowing_tools.shtml

It is by our own Bill Grumbline, he posts here from time to time. I appreciate his willingness to show his masterey to others.

If the link is deleted wen you view this look on wood central for custom hollowing tools.

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 2:55 PM
ohhh there are other great tool ideas for other turning stuff and other things as well here

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/links.htm

Dale Bright
06-25-2007, 2:56 PM
Patrick, I just ordered this hollowing system.
http://www.sitekreator.com/sherrillwoodworking/deep_hollowing_tool_set.html

The price is right and it came highly recommended by some other turners. I have Lamar's tool rest system as well and it is top notch. I have been looking and really like the Hunter tools but for this price and the offered versatility, I had to give Lamar's system a try. Lamar Sherrill is a member of this forum.

I hope to have it by the weekend and you could take a look at it if you want. I get to the Cabin John area pretty much weekly for work.

keith zimmerman
06-25-2007, 6:05 PM
My first hollowing tool, which may not have been the most inexpensive, was the Sorby Multi-tip Shear Scraper. It works quite well when hollowing rather shallow forms. I wouldn't go much deeper than 2" with it though. I have since invested in the Kelton Mini and 1/2" hollowers, in addition to a Don Pencil Scorpion. I believe I like the Keltons most of all. I believe they are among the best out there. Eventually, I will probably add the 3/4" Keltons to my inventory. I do not own any captured hollowing tools so I can't comment on them.

keith

Pat Salter
06-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I bought a 36" piece of 1/2" steel rod at HD, cut them into two 18" pieces, drilled one straight into the end just big enough for a 1/4"X1/4" piece of HSS. on the other one I drilled the hole at a 45 degree angle. Superglued the HSS pieces in the holes, added handles and voila! done! Cheap and effective.

Patrick Taylor
06-26-2007, 7:31 AM
Anyone tried the small Jordan set? Straight and hook together can be had for $75. Sounds tempting for getting my feet wet.

joe greiner
06-26-2007, 9:41 AM
I made a couple Oland-style tools, similar to Pat Salter's. But I used 1/8 x 1/8 HSS instead, held in place with setscrews - much easier to sharpen in an auxiliary shank. My quick and dirty solution to torque on the angled one is just attach a small vise-grip pliers to the shank. Doesn't reach very deep under the rim. When/if I get familiar with heating steel red hot, I might make a swan's neck shank for deeper reach. A captive frame and laser could be next, unless I learn to avoid making donuts or funnels first.

Joe

Travis Stinson
06-26-2007, 5:27 PM
Patrick, I use the 1/2" Jordan bar in my home-made mini hollowing rig. I love it!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/1234/DSC04024Small.jpg