PDA

View Full Version : arrangements with tree trimmers

Patrick Taylor
06-25-2007, 1:53 PM
I'm thinking of contacting some local trimmers to get free wood, possibly delivered, and I'm wondering what type of arrangements you guys have made with your tree guys.

Do they deliver the wood to your house? Do you pay them ever? If so, how much? How do you keep from getting too much or unusable sizes?

Thanks,
Pat

Christopher K. Hartley
06-25-2007, 2:00 PM
I'm thinking of contacting some local trimmers to get free wood, possibly delivered, and I'm wondering what type of arrangements you guys have made with your tree guys.

Do they deliver the wood to your house? Do you pay them ever? If so, how much? How do you keep from getting too much or unusable sizes?

Thanks,
PatI have some tree crews that know me quite well but having stuff delivered is not even something I would ask them. After a day in the Houston sun and humidity even under the trees is way much , so I wouldn't impose on them for that. They will sometimes invite you to their dump site or if you can catch them cutting, they may even load it for you when they have their log lift in action, I've had them want to do that for me. If you use the same crew then They appreciate a bowl as well.:)

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 3:02 PM
I call one every week to see what he has new in his pile. Another I just drop by and search through his pile (with permission of course, open invitation from the owner). Another I just call when I need something I know he has a huge pile of (hickory).

As for payment the ones I have gotten stuff from didn't want payment for the small piles I was taking. If you plan on truckloading they might, (some sell the stuff for firewood) but a bowl or other item turned is alway appreciated and will get you a call when they have something special.

I have that last arrangment with my main supplier. He had some cottonwood buls from a historic grove. I turned a bowl out of one of them just for him. I now have about 10 burls sitting in my garage. He also has taken a couple of pieces and sold them for me to his friends (3 for $100 each). So not only do I get all the free wood I can use, he finds good stuff and calls me to pick it up, and he sells stuff for me at great prices for me.

Be nice to them, always ask permission first, clean up after yourself, offer to help them if they need something special, bring them a FREE bowl, and then roll over and let them pet your belly after that.:D

Dale Bright
06-25-2007, 3:06 PM
Patrick, PM or email me, I know where you can find some large peices of Oak and Maple about 35 mins. drive from your place.

Paul Andrews
06-25-2007, 5:12 PM
Home delivery is pushing it. I let the guy I use know what type of wood I am looking for and he lets me know when he will be cutting that type and where. They are so quick that I seldom have to wait at the job site long, and his crew loads the truck with as much as I want. I occasionally send him a finished bowl, and he is happy.

Terry Quiram
06-25-2007, 5:41 PM
The young man I deal with has a dump yard. He says I am welcome to anything, anytime I want. He keeps 2 piles. Hardwood for firewood processing and everything goes on a burn pile. He doesn't want anything but I have given him a killer curly maple pen and a couple of bowls. He also gave me a good deal on a Husky 394 with a 32" bar for $300. He figured there was 1/3 usefull life left in it. That will last me until I am too old and feable to use it.:D

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2007, 6:47 PM
I have a arrangement with 3 local tree trimmers. I have given each at least 2 pens, at least 2 bowls and a couple of lidded boxes. One has ordered 3 lidded boxes for Christmas. I am on my own for cutting and loading but free wood I can handle that.

William Bachtel
06-25-2007, 7:48 PM
These are all nice replies, and I am glad people are getting good wood for free, or little work. Always thank them and give them some of your work.

Patrick Taylor
06-26-2007, 12:57 AM
I see a pattern here! Thanks everyone for sharing. Now I know what to expect. :)

Frank Kobilsek
06-26-2007, 8:38 AM
Patrick

I live in a town of 8000 and the City street department guys trim trees in the winter. They have delivered, they have called when there was a burl or two on a tree, they have loaded my truck in the parking lot where I work, .... I deliver Donuts to thier shop a few times during the winter. Everybody Happy!

Frank

TYLER WOOD
06-26-2007, 9:41 AM
Frank are you sure those arn't cops fronting as tree trimmers. You mentioned donuts, that makes me thin the city is double working their employees!:eek:

By the way no offense to cops. I love the job they do, except when they stop me:D I would never want to do the job they do. Thanks for all your had work!!