PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's wood haul

Jerry Ingraham
06-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Here is my first foray into wood salvage/treasure. While showing one of the ladies at work a bowl I'd turned, she said her brother had had a walnut tree taken down and was having trouble getting rid of it:eek: ! I drove over and saw it laying there, 2' x 20'. I rounded up some help and two hours later had this wood pile in my back yard:D . Gotta seal up the ends tonight. I don't know what I'll do with it all, but I'll figure something out:D .

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Nice! I'm envious! Not much walnut here where I'm at and it's one of my favorites to turn.

Jerry Ingraham
06-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Since this is my first time harvesting hardwood, I wonder if the amount of dark heartwood and the amount of light sapwood in these logs are typical? It would appear that I'll really end up with about 8"-10" of dark wood to use. Hey, it's free so what the heck!

Jason Boushard
06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I keep eyeing the huge walnut tree in my front yard, my wife threatened to take the spark plug to my chain saw if I kept eyeballing it lol.......anybody got a spark plug? seriously though nice score I gotta get set up so I can start milling wood for flat work lumberyards are to expensive.

Patrick Taylor
06-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Since this is my first time harvesting hardwood, I wonder if the amount of dark heartwood and the amount of light sapwood in these logs are typical? It would appear that I'll really end up with about 8"-10" of dark wood to use. Hey, it's free so what the heck!

Use both heartwood and sapwood. The contrasting colors will be beautiful. :)

Paul Engle
06-25-2007, 1:01 PM
Jerry, from my experiance , that is typical except the claro may run a little less, i did a back walnut and it ran 60% sap wood,( 35 yr old tree) my guess the older they are the less sap wood(?) but boy the contrast in a bowl is super.I cut some in half and some I capped the outsides and just kept the heart, and a couple smaller logs ( 10 to 11 in dia sq) I will use for ne's. I hate tossing anything out...:D

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2007, 4:34 PM
Don't worry about the black and sap wood. Just turn it into some beautiful contrasting wood bowls, end grain HF or lidded boxes. I had some just like it and those bowls sold before the solid black walnut bowls.

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 4:48 PM
Yup let's see a bowl out of those logs with the contrast. It'll be fantastick!

Curt Fuller
06-25-2007, 8:13 PM
From the looks of the bark, that looks like English Walnut and it usually has more sapwood than Black Walnut. But it should make some great turning wood. I personally like the look of having some contrasting sapwood in a bowl or hollowform.