PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Good Morning and it's 25 June 2007

No real woodworking for me as Friday and Saturday were spent primarily at the day job. When I got home I was too tired to even think about woodworking. I played bass at church on Sunday and I was asked by a person at the church to come and play bass for a new song that they've written. So sometime soon, I'm supposed to go and work with them in a recording studio and lay down the bass track for this new song that they've written. The last time I was in a recording studio was when I was 15 years old when I played semi-pro bass for a traveling quartet. So here it is, 33 years later and I'm getting invited again to record in a studio. I'm kind of excited about it.

After church Sunday was spent with the family. We watched a couple of movies, talked, and finished up a puzzle that we've been working on. I'm sure blessed to have the family I have that we can do things together and share our lives together as I know some who can't do this because of conflict in the family. I consider myself blessed.

I get to go to Philly again in July. It will be another Disaster Recovery Exercise but for another customer of ours. I have developed a new disaster recovery process that we will be testing on this trip. It should reduce the amount of time it takes to get "the ball rolling" by about 4 hours.

Today...I get to learn about this new adhesive I got called "HeatLock". Got it from Joe Woodworker and is supposed to be the solution to my veneer dilemma on this oval table I'm working on. Spread the glue on both surfaces, allow to set, then iron on the veneer as the heat from an iron re-activates the glue. I sure hope it works as advertised. I want to get this kitchen table project "done" so I can start the LOML's kitchen pantry.

Well, that's enough rambling for now.

What did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
06-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Saturday we went to the National Thresher's Reunion (http://www.nationalthreshers.com/) which is a antique steam engine and tractor show. Sunday I worked some on stuff related to the bathroom remodel, mostly getting ready for the guy who is coming to tape the drywall for the skylight and archway I built and fix some other wall issues. I didn't start the cabinets because my back is still messed up and I didn't think moving plywood would be a good idea. Hope to start them this week.

Nancy Laird
06-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Since I now have 3-day weekends, I spent Friday working in the laser shop and turned out a couple of orders and a gift. Saturday was errands and grocery shopping, and yesterday we hosted a group for a barbeque at the house:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60390

Now it's back to work for boss' last week before his FIVE-WEEK vacation (bah!!!). Looks to be a pretty intense week with tying up a lot of loose ends.

Have a good week, everyone. Supposed to be 96 in Albuquerque today, but LOW humidity. I can stand it.

Nancy

Jim O'Dell
06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Got home Friday about 6:45, and got the sprinkler system checked out and operational! Yea!!!
Sat am took our 2 oldest dogs out for a belated birthday celebration. Went for a walk at a park, and bought all of us some chicken strips for lunch. They turned 12 on 6/10, and we've been too tied up to do anything special with them.
Sat afternoon I drilled the mounting holes and mounted the 12 levelling feet Bob brought me for the second half of the multistation bench. With the feet, he also brought me 4 long sleeve t-shirts that are perfect for winter shop attire, and a Shark 9000-11 vacuum that copier people use for cleaning up toner, plus an extra filter!! What a surprise!! Thanks again Bob!
Sunday I did dog duty with LOML out most of the day, and then tuned up the table saw, and fixed the bandsaw tracking problem. Got on the roof and blew all the pecan tree droppings off, then got the weed eater started and made sure it was working. Knocked off about 6:00. Very productive weekend Jim.

Jim Becker
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Attended a 50th wedding anniversary party on Saturday and mowed the grass before it got dark. Sunday...I actually got in the shop for 4-5 hours...before we had guests for dinner. I did a little work on the vanities, including figuring out my drawer box sizes.

Jeff Raymond
06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Funny you asked. We watched a fascinating PBS show called, "Okie Noodling." Well, it's one of those things that you just have to see. You can get it here: http://www.okienoodling.com/

Don't be dismayed that the Beauty Queen of this upcoming weekend's contest has a dirty t-shirt on.

For the uninitiated, 'noodling' is going underwater in your skivvies and sticking your hand in the mouth of a 40-lb bass. Now that would be better than a large turtle or poisonous snake (which also happens).

Oh well, check it out, live and learn. :D

Tyler Howell
06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Funny you asked. We watched a fascinating PBS show called, "Okie Noodling." Well, it's one of those things that you just have to see. You can get it here: http://www.okienoodling.com/

Don't be dismayed that the Beauty Queen of this upcoming weekend's contest has a dirty t-shirt on.

For the uninitiated, 'noodling' is going underwater in your skivvies and sticking your hand in the mouth of a 40-lb bass. Now that would be better than a large turtle or poisonous snake (which also happens).

Oh well, check it out, live and learn. :D
I've seen it done in OKC. A real different bunch:eek:

Karl Laustrup
06-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Morning Dennis.

I actually got some shop time in Saturday. Had to remount my CMS and started to figure out how I'm going to run the duct work to it and the RAS. I really need to clean the shop, but I keep hoping Al will make a trip from the cities to help me. ;) :D

Sunday was a quick jaunt to "just outside of Spring Green" and a visit with Spring [aka John M.] and a ride in his "Red" Mustang convertible. It was a great day for a top down ride. Also, got some pointers on how to do a couple of things that have been puzzling me. Spring always seems to have an answer for this rookie.

Got home and watched the race from Sonoma, CA. Good race. Lots of action.

All in all a real good weekend.

Karl

Tyler Howell
06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Very introspective this weekend.
Sifted through the last of my mother's belongings & passed them on to new owners at an estate sale. Lots of memories.
An old friend and WW passed away this weekend too so it's been a real roller coaster ride.
Have a safe week.

Live Like You Mean It.

Don Bullock
06-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I spent all Friday and Saturday at the dog show. On Friday our class dog was the winner so he now has seven points, including both required majors, toward the 15 points he needs for his AKC Championship. Our female Champion was Best of Breed both days, so we stayed for the Hound Group. Sunday morning, before the NASCAR race, I got the major sanding done on my table I'm making in a woodworking class. This morning I finished up the "power" sanding and will do the "hand" sanding later today or tomorrow. The Nextell Cup race was super.

Al Willits
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Thought it was Catfish they went after :confused:

Sat morn was spent looking for brick molding, we've decided to go with wood as we need to modify the molding a bit and wasn't to confident doing it in plastic, we did discover that straight brick molding is something that Menards and HD does not sell, so we're off to check lumber yards next week when we're on vacation, also to try and find a lighter white oak that matches the very light oak plywood we found.
Beasty wants the wood and plywood to match on her new, to be built kitchen cabinets, can't say I don't blame her.

I do now have about 200+ bf of not quite so light white oak I've been whittling away at, the never ending project of the storage cabinet is getting more and more oak piece's as I, to long, to long, ooops, my way to completion.

Anyway, did some required cleaning and can actually see some of the garage floor now, and spent the rest of the weekend playing in the garage.
With the completion of the cabinet base, most of the woodworking is done and it just needs to have the finishing done....thank god...:)

Also had the tension release come undone again on the Delta bandsaw, seems the plunger will drop to far when release and jam up, so with a little block of wood (white oak..hehe) and some 5 minute epoxy, I fixed it.

Also fired up the lathe and make a piece for a friends race car and chatted for a bit.

All in all a great, but hot weekend, got to spent it mostly in the garage playing...er...working hard.

Al

Al Willits
06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
""""""""

I actually got some shop time in Saturday. Had to remount my CMS and started to figure out how I'm going to run the duct work to it and the RAS. I really need to clean the shop, but I keep hoping Al will make a trip from the cities to help me. ;) :D
"""""""""""""

Karl, you make some more of that dynomite salsa and I might be tempted...:D
Just remember I work slow, eat a lot and take frequent naps....:D

Al....who likes to start slow.....then taper off...

Ps...thinking another creeker might have to get to the planning stage ??

Maurice Ungaro
06-25-2007, 1:51 PM
Got the floor of my new shop (..and yes "garage"....which must be shared with SWMBO's car) finished with some nice epoxy paint. Even put the little paint chip sprinkles on it. Looks good, but darn it all, it's a small building compared to my last one.

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 2:41 PM
Well I went fishing! Lake Brownwood. Took 4 whites, threw back 1 very large striper, and 4 medium blacks. Several non keepers, but those like unlanded fish, don't count. Overall a good fish, but better yet got to spend the weekend with a couple of brothers from different mothers!! Just a guy's weekend out. Well almost, boat owner invited his ex-step daughter and her frind for the afternoon Saturday. We still had fun watching the friend turn green from being on the boat (first timer, can you immagine in a bass boat, RIGHT TURN CLYDE!!! WHEEEEEEEE!!!:D :eek: :D )
I need a face with a evil grin and horns on it. That would be better. Ate the fish, and had lots of adult frosty beverages. There is not much better time to be had, unless of course you are doing it with your family.