PDA

View Full Version : Book on Humidor Building

Larry Fox
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book that I can use as a reference to build a humidor? I have read the FWW article by Rick Allyn but given the nature of the box and it's purpose I have to think that there are nuances that a builder should be aware of and which are not discussed in the article.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

BRUCE WILKERSON
06-25-2007, 3:11 PM
Larry,
Woodcraft magazine had an article on a travel humidor that I am in the process of making some friends that smoke those high end cigars. What I have found out is that the inside should be lined with Spanish Cedar. You can get that at Woodcraft. Also I have been told the top should fall and make a soft whisper type sound as it closes thight. I have seen several and they have been made with every kind of wood you can think of as long as it is lined with the cedar.

Mike Wilkins
06-25-2007, 3:12 PM
The article in FWW is a great source of info on building humidors. Once you break it down to it bare essentials, a humidor is nothing but a box, lined on the inside with Spanish Cedar. You do have to make sure that the lid fits snugly to keep the 70% humidity/moisture levels intact. But other than that, it is just a box.
Humidors can fall all over the map as far as decoration is concerned; to the el-cheapo that came with my box purchase to ones costing into the thousands, like those sometimes shown inside Cigar Aficianado magazine.
By the way, go to cigaraficianado.com and look for humidors and you should find some ideas; but no construction details.

Larry Fox
06-25-2007, 4:57 PM
Thanks Bruce and Mike - I appreciate the time.

Mike as you point out it is just a box lined with Spanish Cedar but I just assumed that given it 1) had to precicely control and environment and 2) it came into contact with something that was more-or-less ingested (for lack of a better word) there was more involved. Although you could likely argue that what you are ingesting is worse for you and anything that might happen as a result of a poorly constructed humidor. :)

Thanks again guys.