PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheap source of wood to ruin :)

gnachman
06-25-2007, 1:36 AM
I'm starting to get in to turning bowls and I'd like to find an online source of cheap wood that is good to practice on. However, I don't want to pick some species of wood at random, only to discover that it's got some weird characteristic that makes it a poor choice for learning on. What species do you recommend? Where can I get it online?

Thanks,
George

Jude Kingery
06-25-2007, 3:16 AM
Hi George,
Where are you located? We have Mesquite plentiful here (W. Tx) and it's pretty much free for the taking as people take down dead trees. It's dry turning, but a good wood, or at least I like it. Just a suggestion, you might try your recycling center if they have a wood trimming/mulch section or your city maintenance department and see what woods they trim and then look those woods up on the web and see if it's worth turning (characteristics). Our city trimming guys just give it away if you happen to drive by. Just a thought, best regards, Jude

Paul Andrews
06-25-2007, 7:24 AM
George,

The best wood for practicing is any wood you can obtain that is free. Your city or county recycle center, local tree services and wood turning clubs are good resources. Depending on where you live, once word is out that you will haul away wood you may have to turn down offers!

William Bachtel
06-25-2007, 7:49 AM
I may be able to help you out if I knew your location. I have Cherry, Ash, Poplar, Maple, Sassafras, turning stock, Air Dried, Green, and some KD ed.

joe greiner
06-25-2007, 8:12 AM
You can save shipping fees by using roadside orphans, tree surgeons, fellow turners, etc. Tree surgeons can usually identify their scrap, and around here they have to pay about $35 per ton tipping fee - more than happy to give it away. Members of your woodturning club can also help to identify orphans, and share their excess. Some of our members have contact with DOT folks, get a heads up on clearing projects, then we all have a chainsaw party in the field. One of our members had a three-car shed filled to about 4 feet high, wanted to move his car into it, and fairly begged us to come and get it. I filled up the back of my Tahoe (third seat removed, middle seat folded down), and I have what almost looks like a lifetime supply - good variety too.

Joe

Christopher K. Hartley
06-25-2007, 8:48 AM
Gnachman, I have to agree with those so far suggesting Free wood and the sources they gave. Blanks can run from about $20 to literally hundreds of dollars and unless you live in a desert there should not be any reason to have to pay for good wood much less practice wood. Later, when you start doing some really good turning then you may want to buy some exotic stuff. Until then, just think of all the TOOLS you can get in the mean time.:D

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I live in West Texas as well. Not many trees but what we do have here, we turn. We are not picky and we just take what is free and hard. Most fruit and nut trees are good. Stay away from soft woods until you are experianced. They tend to ward and crack a lot more, plus are harder to finish.

Repeat those above, tree surgeons are the best. I have contact with three and they keep me more than stocked!

Paul Engle
06-25-2007, 1:04 PM
Get a Federal fire wood permit, ha lots of cheap on fed lands and best of all if it is still standing dead it will be pretty dry and not too much checking or splitting. ( till you buck into rounds.)

Mike A. Smith
06-25-2007, 1:42 PM
Speaking as a fellow newbie, all of the responses regarding 'free' wood are correct. With the possible exception that this may be an intermediate rather than a begining step for you. It depends on what your existing skill set / tool set is like. You may not be comfortable cutting your own blanks at this point or going through any of the multitude of 'drying' options. That being said, I know if you google Craft Supply you can find maple and walnut blanks as low as $3.00 (depends on what you call cheap). While using a few of these for 'practice'. You can start building up your wood pile with the free stuff.

Also you can always cut off some untreated 2x6 pine and mount it up just to try out some new techniques. It won't be pretty and it will be tougher to get a smooth cut without tear out, but you can get used to the feel of the tools if you haven't already.

Frank Kobilsek
06-25-2007, 2:46 PM
George

Look in your Yellow pages for a custom stair shop. Scrap stair treads make great plates and little dishes. Look for maple and cherry but avoid pine. They probably let you rumage thru the dumpester.

Crafts Supply has a 30 pound box of bowl blanks that they discount because the sizes don't match the catalog. I had good luck with a box like this.

Join a club. Our club there is always somebody sharing the wealth of thier last wood haul.

You didn't say if you own a chain saw. If no, I understand your question. If yes, grab a Boy Scout to identify the leaves and go for a drive. If you have some handicap that would prevent you from preforming the hard work of preparing blanks I suspect a fellow club member would help you out.

Good luck you'll find your source.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
06-25-2007, 3:09 PM
Frank,
No chainsaw needed, only a good friend who has one. Buy them a new chain every once in a while for trade! Works like a champ for me.

I'm too cheap to buy a tool I would only use everyday.:cool: Nahhh, he's a turner too, an we split the blanks 75-25. He has his own woodpile larger than mine has grown. Which right now LOML says needs to be downsized or moved out of view. But honey it's only 4 feet tall, 15 feet long. There's not THAT much wood. It's pretty!!!! (dog house for me)

Frank Kobilsek
06-25-2007, 3:18 PM
Tyler

You just gave me an idea, expect a PM

Frank

gnachman
06-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try Craft Supplies bulk box. I probably should've given some more information...I've done a lot of pens, so I'm specifically looking to practice bowls. Also, I live in Sunnyvale, CA. I'll also see about joining the local woodturning club, maybe someone there will take pity on me and give me their scrap :)

Thanks,
George