PDA

View Full Version : advice on the saw stop?

Jeffrey Larsen
06-25-2007, 1:05 AM
Hello--I am a surgeon and am often tired when I get around to working on wood at 2-3 am. for that reason, I found the sawstop to be very interesting indeed. Can't afford it for awhile, but have just about descided to wait and go that direction when I get the cash. I would be interested to know what words of wisdom everyone here has on the sawstop. Does it have any downside other than the obvious one, price? Does it have limitations compared to other tablesaws? thanks in advance, Jeff

Andrew Williams
06-25-2007, 1:45 AM
For me it was a no-brainer. Any tool that can actually tell the difference between wood and flesh is worth the extra money to me, even if I have to use credit to buy it. I haven't had it for a long time but have been very impressed with it as a machine, notwithstanding the safety feature. I have not used a PM 66 or top-of-the line Unisaw, but I assume it is at least on par with them, and maybe a bit better. There was a recent thread about undesirable heeling in PM2000 saws (I think it may only represent a single saw though). I have measured no more than .001 of heeling on the Sawstop and I think that is just fine. It has many more adjusting screws than the rest of the saws out there however. The trunnion and arbor assemblies are larger and seem to be a bit better designed as well.

I think the Canadian General saws' tables are flatter though, and I'd like to see a redesign of the zero-clearance insert to allow for better dust collection. The table surface is quite prone to scratching. The only "limitations" I am aware of are that you cannot use abrasive blades, or multiple 10" blades (for tenoning), or molding cutters. If for some reason you wanted to use a dado cutter wider than 13/16, it would not be safe to assume that the brake would stop it in time.

James Phillips
06-25-2007, 6:34 AM
I have worked with many saws and safety features aside it is still worth the price. Better than anysaw I have worked with. I do not agree with the limitations above, other than the saw does have a "soft" top that does ding fairly easy, but that is purely cosmetic not function.

It collects all the ust below the table, no saw with out above the table collection with collect the spray from the top. It is very flat (at least mine is).

The customer service is second to none. Mine had a motor problem. They have changed to a better motor since mine was made. I called to see about getting my motor fixed and with in a week I have a brand new motor in the saw.

Chuck Saunders
06-25-2007, 7:54 AM
Hello--I am a surgeon and am often tired when I get around to working on wood

Jeffrey, This is not what the SawStop is for. Get some rest, Let the SawStop be there for when you have taken every precaution and something still goes wrong. Take care and enjoy the SawStop when you are awake and at full awareness.
Chuck

Jim Becker
06-25-2007, 9:41 AM
Jeffrey, This is not what the SawStop is for. Get some rest, Let the SawStop be there for when you have taken every precaution and something still goes wrong. Take care and enjoy the SawStop when you are awake and at full awareness.

Totally agree...working in the real of tools is not something one should do when tired...ever. This is even more important for someone like yourself who's career (and patients' lives) is/are totally dependent on his/her hands.

That said, no downsides to the SawStop from a functionality standpoint that I can see and a lot of nice upsides, such as the riving knife and dust extraction hood around the blade.

Gary Tenney
06-25-2007, 9:50 AM
Mine arrives tommorrow and I hope to give good report as most everyone else who own one have. I put mine in lay-away as the price was high for me also, (I'm not a Surgeon!). Anyhow my discipline for saving money is poor, (Married with Children!) but woodcraft had no problem with saving my payments until it was complete. Good luck and happy woodworking!
Gary

Don Bullock
06-25-2007, 9:56 AM
Hello--I am a surgeon and am often tired when I get around to working on wood ..., Jeff

Chuck

Jeff, I have to agree fully with Chuck on this one. Even if I'm tired in the afternoon I don't go out in my shop and work with power tools. It just isn't safe.

Since you are a surgeon I would think that something like the SawStop would be a must for you. Your fingers are your life. It would certainly be difficult to perform surgeory even with damage to one. It seems to me that if a school teacher like me can afford one that you'd be able to come up with the cash somehow. Yes. it is expensive, but so is insurance and medical costs.

As for the SawStop, it's only limitations are those that Andrew listed, the use abrasive blades, or multiple 10" blades (for tenoning) aren't possible without turning off the safety braking system or may not even be possible then. Since I don't plan to do anything where I will need to use an abrasive blade that doesn't bother me. I think that the multiple blades for tenoning can be done using 8" blades and the dado brake. Again that's not a limitation that would bother me anyway.

The rest of the limitations listed above aren't limitations for me. I love the zero clearance insert. It comes with the saw and can be used on every cut. I don't find that the saw spits out excessive dust at all. The top on my SawStop is extreamly flat. Before I bought it the retailer, Eagle Tools in Los Angelas, checked it out. I saw the inspection sheet before I bought the saw. Yes, the top may not be a scratch resistent as some, but it is as smooth as a baby's bottom. For sawing that transfers to less resistence.

When compared to most table saws the SawStop is very well built and sturdy. The designers tried to incorporate all the features in the saw that woodworkers were looking for in addition to the brake feature.

Just another thought. While they are even more expensive, have you looked at European sliders? They are well built and safe saws to use. For most cuts fingers never come close to the blade.

Don Bullock
06-25-2007, 9:58 AM
Mine arrives tommorrow ...Gary

Gary, congratulations.:D

Wayne Watling
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Hello--I am a surgeon and am often tired when I get around to working on wood at 2-3 am. for that reason, I found the sawstop to be very interesting indeed. Can't afford it for awhile, but have just about descided to wait and go that direction when I get the cash. I would be interested to know what words of wisdom everyone here has on the sawstop. Does it have any downside other than the obvious one, price? Does it have limitations compared to other tablesaws? thanks in advance, Jeff

Jeffrey,

If moneys an issue (or even if its not) then I'd take a look at the EZ rails system by Eurekazone, they have their own forum here on Sawmillcreek. I have a Euro slider and much prefer that over a table saw but I'm also getting the EZ rails and bridge for renos when I'm cutting downstairs where its not possible to get the slider. The EZ systems seems very safe because the blade runs on a rail and faces downwards and you use the stock as your resting surface, its also seems quite easy to cut large sheet goods with. Some of the owner have made their own bench to suit the system which could be the best long term approach to using the system.

Best,
Wayne

Steven Wilson
06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Jeff, there are very, very few woodworking tasks that I would ever consider doing while tired and operating a table saw isn't one of them. Anyhow, the sawstop is a good choice if you're looking for an American style table saw. I had a Powermatic 66 and enjoyed the American style table saw but eventually went with a European combination machine which I feel is safer by design in that your hands don't get close to the blade in the first place.

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 6:06 PM
A recent issue of Consumer Reports included a small blurb about the SawStop. It was part of their report on smaller, benchtop saws.

The people at CU tested the saw and were impressed with the results. The saw never activated the brake in a "false alarm" when they cut wet wood. I recall they tested it with a hot dog, which was meant to simulate a finger, and that tripped the brake every time.

CU mentioned SawStop is licensing their technology and we'll likely see their braking system on other saws in the near future.

Dittos to the comments about woodworking when you're tired. As Schwarzenegger said when he punched the alien in Predator, "Bad idea."

Kermit Hodges
06-27-2007, 9:24 AM
Nothing against the SS. But it is just one tool in the shop. It's not going to protect you from sharp chisels, hand saws, planes, ect.

David Giles
06-27-2007, 9:49 AM
Jeffrey, other than the general consensus that WW may not be the best hobby for a surgeon, the Sawstop is meant for people like you. By that I mean, inexperienced WW that work at less than ideal times, have greater than average disposable income and place a high value on their digits. It's a top of the line machine.

We assume that a surgeon can safely handle other sharp tools of the trade.

Al Willits
06-27-2007, 9:59 AM
Interesting, I asked my local Woodcraft about layaway on both the sawstop and a drum sander and was told it was to much bother.
One of many reasons I do most my shopping at Rocklers now, your store evidently believes a bit more in customer service than mine does...

I'll add to the stay away if your tired, remember a router can do major damage along with the other power tools we use, whether your a surgeon or not, losing body parts is something I'd not look forward to.

Al

Mine arrives tommorrow and I hope to give good report as most everyone else who own one have. I put mine in lay-away as the price was high for me also, (I'm not a Surgeon!). Anyhow my discipline for saving money is poor, (Married with Children!) but woodcraft had no problem with saving my payments until it was complete. Good luck and happy woodworking!
Gary

jason lambert
06-27-2007, 9:59 AM
I do not have room for one but did do allot of research on table saws and that is the one to get. Beside the safety features I think it is one of the best table saws, I love the fence, the quick change guard and riveting knife (making it practical to use a guard when needed, my saw it is such a pain to put on and see through I never use it) and the customer service. Overall I have not heard any bad things about them except from people who don’t own one.

Hopefully the rest of the industry will follow this safety technology since iti s selling.