PDA

View Full Version : Help me steal some ideas for a desk.

Phil Phelps
03-01-2003, 9:31 PM
I can only think of a few furniture manufacturers. Thomasville, Hooker, Hibritton, Broyhill...I've gone brain dead. Ok, more brain dead. I need to build a desk for this computer so I can write to you "betterer". I'm going to enclose the hard drive so I can slide it like drawers. All the major manufacturers have a web site and it's easy to gather info and browse. (If you know where) Any help is appreciated. Thanks. ;)

Randy Coggin
03-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Some others are Pennsylvania House, Hickory Chair, Bassett. Some that make office furniture are Hon and Miller Desk.
HTH
Randy Coggin

Jim Izat
03-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey Phil,

Norm made one once. I very often print out the page from the website, blow it up on the xerox machine and get measurements I can use as a starting point. Here's the URL for that particular project:

<a href="http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?1206">http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?1206</a>

I don't know if this is the sort of desk you have in mind, but I think it does incorporate a slide out shelf for the CPU.

Cheers,

Jim Izat

Phil Phelps
03-01-2003, 10:28 PM
I don't know if this is the sort of desk you have in mind, but I think it does incorporate a slide out shelf for the CPU.
Jim Izat

Did I say "enclose the hard drive?" I told you I went brain dead. Probably have dainbrammage, too. Thanks. I'm goin' to bed. :rolleyes:

Randy Schaefer
03-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Looking for something like this?

Write down what you need you desk to do, start getting measurements of the hardware and work up a design of your own. If I can do it anybody can. :)

Randy

Diane Maluso
03-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Stickley

Chris McKimson
03-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Thos. Moser (http://thomasmoser.com/)

He even has a book of measured drawings for many pieces, available at fine bookstores (maybe even not so fine. :) )

Chris

John Kidner
03-02-2003, 10:24 AM
I just finished a desk and I built a drawer for my computer. I have found that the enclosure needs to be well vented or the computer will overheat and shut down, so work that feature into you plans to avoid headaches in the future.

James O'Mara
03-02-2003, 10:37 AM
I have the Lexington Furniture, Bob Timberlake series desk and credenza. the credenza is two pieces. The center drawer is a slide out fold down keypad drawer, on the right hand side are two doors, the bottom one houses a pull out for a printer, the top is for the computer. If I were not in the process of moving out of the house, I would take a picture for you because it is really gorgeous and quite functional. It is made of solid cherry with a somewhat rustic finish. If you can't find a picture on the internet let me know and I will try and get something for you.

Bartee Lamar
03-02-2003, 11:12 AM
I am a little obsessed when it comes to computer desks.

I work at one for 8+ hours a day.

I use a computer workstation desk from global computer. The top is 1 /1/4" thick. It is height adjustable. I have it set 26" high. This may seem low, but the only thing I do is type and look at my two computer screens. ( dual screen setup.) I am 6'2" tall so the low settings are NOT because I am short.

If you remember typing in high school ( always taught by a little old lady with gray hair) you were taught to sit straight up and arms flat. If you have your keyboard on a standard height desk (29") you wrists will always be flexed. This can do damage.

I wear bi-focals so I need to be able to look at my computer screen with my head level. so my screen is lower ( sitting on 26" high desk top ). This is very important. You screen should be at a level so you head is comfortable.

I DO NOT like key board drawers. Yes it puts the keyboard level lower , but it sets you back from the desk by 8 - 10" So if you want to reach anything else on the desk you have to lean forward to get to it. keyboard drawers also tend to move. Not very good for easy typing. also make sure there is room for the computer mouse to be at the same level.

There are NO obstructions under my table top that my legs will hit. Computer drawers have stuff under them some times.

I have a small box at the back of my desk that my feet prop on.

As you can tell I am sorta a nut about my work area. I have made a living typing at a computer since 1967 ( really ).

Now you understand why I want to make saw dust.... I need to do something else beside sit a this computer. Building workbench now, table saw base next. Eventually I hope to build some nice wood boxes. Oh yes, some day I hope the build the next ultimate Computer work area for myself.

Just some stuff to think about.

Phil Phelps
03-02-2003, 4:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randy Schaefer
[B]Looking for something like this?
Great lookin' desk. That's goin' to make someone happy, for sure.

Phil Phelps
03-02-2003, 4:27 PM
If you remember typing in high school ( always taught by a little old lady with gray hair) you were taught to sit straight up and arms flat.

Hey Bartee. I didn't take typing in high school. (Dumb) But the lady that taught a typing class was a first round draft pick. Simply georgous. And three months ago my wife and I saw her in a restaurant. She is still stunning. Oh, she had to quit, our senior year, because she was pregnant. No prgnant teachers allowed in Texas schools. Pregnancy din't happen back then.

John Piwaron
03-02-2003, 4:36 PM
I saw a nice one at officemax a while back. It was made for a corner, and the portion that actually went into the corner had a piece in it that was a place to put the PC, recessed into the otherwise unused volume that is inherent in corner cabinetry. Only the floppy bay/CD tray would be accessible. The monitor was placed over this. This seemed like a good idea at the time.

Like other pieces of furniture, it's best to give careful thought to what you need the furniture to do for you, then take features/methods from other items and blend them together to suit your particular needs. That's why you're into building stuff yourself, right? You get what you need. Not what someone else thinks you need.

Ed Marks
03-02-2003, 6:55 PM
Here is one similar to where I have the computer. It measures 47 x 23. The one shown here has a bank of drawers on it. The one for the computer has a different setup. In my case the computer is a Mac Cube so enclosing it is not too important. (Looks like it belongs on furniture and makes no noise!) I
guess if you have a tower type PC you could put it on the floor underneath.

http://themarks.homeip.net/gallery/deskwithdrawers

Bartee Lamar
03-03-2003, 9:11 AM
Ed, This is EXCELLENT !!

I hope we can a gallery on the creek real soon so we do not lose images like these...

This is they type of work that inspires me to get in the shop and learn some more from all you guys.....