PDA

View Full Version : Why are my new fluorescent lights noisy?

Rob Will
06-25-2007, 12:35 AM
We just finished installing all of the fluorescent lighting in the new wood shop. There are 20 4-bulb T8 fixtures. Unfortunately, the fixtures are noisy. I thought all T8 fixtures were electronic ballast and were supposed to be quiet????

Everything came from the local Lowes store. Are there different quality levels of T8 light fixtures and how can I tell the difference?

Rob

Ken Garlock
06-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Rob, I thought so also. I have 8 T-8 fixtures with Advance brand electronic ballasts in my shop. They also hum.:rolleyes: I looked at the ballasts and they specifically state that they could/will hum.

At this state of electronic ballast technology, I guess we have to live with the hum. Grrrr.:mad:

Jim C Bradley
06-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi Rob,
Since on one else has responded yet I will throw in my obsolete 2 cents worth. In 1950 I took courses at USC on "Electrical Illumination." I belonged to the Illuminating Engeneering Society for many years. BUT that was a hundred years ago. At that time there was a great difference in noise, amount of flickering, etc. between the inexpensive and the more expensive fluorescent luminaires.
I would guess (dang it I just can't type tonight---spending a lot of time correcting typos) that the same holds true today with an even greater disparity because of the newer types of ballasts.
By now I assume that you have read this and don't know any more than when you started. I suggest that you check out and see if you have magnetic or electronic ballasts. If magnetic and your tempretures are cool, you are going to hum. Can you---do you want to exchange them for more expensive units if you do have the magnetic? I hope someone more up-to-date on this responds and gives you better info,
Enjoy,
Jim

Andrew Williams
06-25-2007, 1:15 AM
My guess is that the ballasts have some poor quality components in them. If the ballast were creating true sine-wave output at high frequency then there should be no hum at 120Hz.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-25-2007, 6:49 AM
I believe that if the ballast is rated as 'commercial', they are a little more durable, efficient and louder. If the ballast is rated as residential, it's just the opposite.

-Jeff :)

Scot wolf
06-25-2007, 6:58 AM
Because electronic ballasts do not have the auto transformer that is inherent to an electro-magnetic ballast, the characteristic "hum" of a magnetic ballast is not present in an electronic ballast. The electronic ballast generates a small noise, much less than a magnetic ballast of a similar application. Other factors such as the lighting fixture, and room characteristics affect the noise level.

Rob Will
06-25-2007, 8:57 AM
Because electronic ballasts do not have the auto transformer that is inherent to an electro-magnetic ballast, the characteristic "hum" of a magnetic ballast is not present in an electronic ballast. The electronic ballast generates a small noise, much less than a magnetic ballast of a similar application. Other factors such as the lighting fixture, and room characteristics affect the noise level.

Anything that can be done to make these fixtures quieter?
I think these are as loud as most magnetic ballasts.

Rob

Gary Herrmann
06-25-2007, 9:08 AM
Mine hum. Believe it or not, you will get used to the noise over time, if you're willing to put up with it.

Randy Redding
06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I have magnetic ballasts and found a few quick fixes that reduce the noise. These fixes might work for yours too. The ballasts hum and vibrate and are attached to the thin sheet metal of the fixture. The vibration couples to the sheet metal which makes for a great speaker system. On my lights, I put thin pieces of high temperature silicone sheet between the ballast and the sheet metal. (The magnetic ballasts get hot.) I also found that some sheet metal to sheet metal pieces were vibrating against each other so I put some tape between them. The fixtures still hum but it is much better than it was.

They are much worse when it is cold. I think I need to get some lamps and ballasts that are designed for the cold.

Pete Bradley
06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Fluorescent lamp ballasts are rated for noise, among other things. The big box stores specialize in low prices, so it's likely that you got a lesser quality ballast. More information is available here:

http://www.lightsearch.com/resources/lightguides/ballasts.html

I found that besides buying quiet ballasts, it's also helpful to isolate the lamp from whatever it's attached to using rubber washers, and make sure none of the sheet metal is loose so it can buzz.

Pete

Brad Townsend
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I've even noticed differences between identical fixtures in my shop. All but a couple of them are quiet. Or perhaps my hearing has gotten so bad that I just don't hear the good ones.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-25-2007, 1:19 PM
The cheaper ones make more noise. I prefer the old school heavy ballasts.

Jay Goddard
06-25-2007, 1:21 PM
I've purchased a number of the electronic ballast T8 shop grade fixtures.

All 6 of the 4-bulb T8 fixtures that I purchased from HD (Lithonia brand) are dead quiet. The one 2-bulb T8 fixture I purchased from Lowes (Cooper brand) hums loudly.

Maybe I was just lucky, but when I go back for more I'll go for the Lithonia.

glenn bradley
06-25-2007, 3:15 PM
My Lithonias are quiet as well but it was by accident. I have quite a few noisy magnetic ones so I had to turn them off to check the T-8's. The fixture was about $25. I generally wear hearing protection, play the stereo and run tools and such so I don't often mind the hum.

My buddy's $50, 4 tube fixtures are dead-silent and he's got a bunch in a pretty small area. He does not run loud tools, has had cheap fixtures before and therefor had the sense to check about this. He mentioned there is some sort of 'class' rating but was as unfamiliar with it as I am.

Gary Curtis
06-25-2007, 6:18 PM
I had the same problem with High Intensity Discharge lighting I bought, and in anticipation of noisy ballasts I asked the dealer about it before the purchase. He sold me some stick-on noise dampening stuff which resembles wetsuit material. It's impervious to heat and really deadens the noise.

You just stick patch of it on the ballast. The stuff is designed for this application.

I believe Grainger and McMaster-Carr sell it. The dealer I bought from is Griot's Garage. Very knowledgeable about lighting for workplace needs. Do a Google search with keywords: lighting ballast noise reduction.

Gary Curtis

Jim O'Dell
06-25-2007, 6:49 PM
I have the HD units too. some are 4' 2 bulb, others are 8' 4 bulb (4-4' bulbs) I have one or two out of 9 that make some noise, and that's not even heard with the stereo. But what bothers me more, is that somewhere in the east bank of 2 four footers and 2 eight footers, one or more interfere with my radio. None of the other 5 units do this. I generally don't use those lights, but when I do need them, it is very anoying. One of these days, I will take each one down one at a time and see which one is the culprit. Jim.

Jerry O'Brien
06-25-2007, 8:08 PM
You can open up the ballast cover and on the ballast there will be a noise rating: A, B or C. A is the best. B is is more noisy. C is not too good. There is also usually a statement somewhere on the ballast that talks about power factor. The electrical poeple took a lesson from McDonalds. If you go to one of our local McDonalds and order a burger and fries, they will ask if you want regular fries. I took one of my grand children there and we ordered. The young person asked if we wanted "REGULAR" fries. I said: "Yes." and my grand daughter said: "No grandpa, we only get the small size, we never get regular.

Back to the ballasts. Ballasts are rated HPF (high power factor, the best @ about 90% efficient) and low power factor (the worst) except instead of saying low they use the word: "NORMAL". That means it is about 50% ineffieient instead of 10% inefficient. A high power factor ballast will run quieter and draw less amperage, because it is much more efficient, thereby reducing the noise. You generally get what you pay for.

Open the cover, look at the ballast and see what you have. The main reason the older magnetics made noise was because the laminated metal around the windings would give a sypathetic bunch of noise as they became looser and looser.

Almost all of the ballasts today are manufactured in China, Mexico or Malasia(sp). Some are pretty good and some are unique. Unique is a special word that covers a lot of ground. If it is good or bad you can describe it as unique.

Good luck

Jerry O'Brien

Mark Rios
06-26-2007, 1:21 AM
Go to Costco and get the BIG roll of aluminum foil.

Bring it back to your shop.

Fasten yourself a helmet out of many, many layers of the foil. The helmet should touch your shoulders and only have holes for your eyes.

Wear it whenever you are in your shop. This will prevent you from hearing the hum. It will also prevent you from being abducted.

HTH

Bob Herpolsheimer
06-26-2007, 9:16 AM
Hi Rob,
The company I work for is an Advance ballast distributor. If you have Advance ballasts the part # will start REL4P32…. For a commercial rated and REB4P32…. for a residential. The noise either makes should be about the same. The residential is shielded so you will not have interference on your TV or radio. You may have magnetic ballasts but I doubt it. Magnetic ballast can no longer be put into new fixtures for commercial use. The big box stores get away with this as they say that the ultimate user is residential so it is still possible to have magnetic ballast. If you have the Lithonia brand the part # will end with GEB which means it’s an electronic ballast. Lithonia brands will typically use Advance or Sylvania ballasts. (We are also a Lithonia distributor) Neither should produce a lot of noise but they will not be completely quiet. Bottom line is the connection between the ballast and the fixture. This is what produces and/or amplifies the noise. Any loose connection can contribute to noise. Make sure the ballast is tight and all the pieces fit tight and that should decrease your noise. Be careful if you put anything on the ballast to mask the vibration, make sure not to cover the ballast that heat will not be able to escape. Heat is the #1 killer of a ballast. This may be too much information but I hope it helps.

Rob Will
06-26-2007, 9:51 AM
As it turns out, the light fixtures from Lowes have a class A sound rating and a high power factor (over 90%). I did find one particular ballast that was making a lot more noise than all the others. Should I try some different brands while I have this one ballast out? What is best?

As suggested above, my lights are indeed mounted directly to a metal ceiling. Could that be amplifying the sound?

Thanks for the words

Rob

Jerry O'Brien
06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Rob
Take it back and exchange it. They (advance ) have a policy for that. I would take it to any advance dealer and exchange it. Where do you live? If you PM me I can tell you where to contact the advance rep for your area.

They really want you happy.

Jerry O'Brien

Ken Garlock
06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Rob, it just occurred to me that while a single fixture may have an acceptable noise level, when you put 20 of them working together you have 20 times as much noise. Your/my problem may be nothing more than gross number of fixtures working in unison.

Corn is better people food than car food. :)

Jim O'Dell
06-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi Rob,
The company I work for is an Advance ballast distributor. If you have Advance ballasts the part # will start REL4P32…. For a commercial rated and REB4P32…. for a residential. The noise either makes should be about the same. The residential is shielded so you will not have interference on your TV or radio. SNIP

Bob, I'll check to see if one or more of mine might have gotten the wrong ballasts by mistake. They are the Lithonia units from HD. Thanks for the information. Jim.

Bob Herpolsheimer
06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
That is not a Advance ballast, it's a Sylvania.

Rob Will
06-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Go to Costco and get the BIG roll of aluminum foil.

Bring it back to your shop.

Fasten yourself a helmet out of many, many layers of the foil. The helmet should touch your shoulders and only have holes for your eyes.

Wear it whenever you are in your shop. This will prevent you from hearing the hum. It will also prevent you from being abducted.

HTH

Mark,
Up until now, the advice I have received here at SMC has been accurate and most helpful. I don't know where you get your information but you should check your facts.

I can now say with a high degree of certainty that a foil helmet has absolutely no effect on the perceived noise level from fluorescent ballasts nor does it offer any protection from alien abduction. In fact, I think it attracted them. You set me up dude.:mad:

Rob

Noah Katz
06-27-2007, 5:58 PM
"If the ballast were creating true sine-wave output at high frequency then there should be no hum at 120Hz."

? Alternating currents create alternating magnetic fields and forces, so vibration is lawyas a possibility with AC.

Mark Rios
06-28-2007, 4:12 PM
Mark,
Up until now, the advice I have received here at SMC has been accurate and most helpful. I don't know where you get your information but you should check your facts.

I can now say with a high degree of certainty that a foil helmet has absolutely no effect on the perceived noise level from fluorescent ballasts nor does it offer any protection from alien abduction. In fact, I think it attracted them. You set me up dude.:mad:

Rob

Well Rob, I'm sorry if it hasn't worked for you but it certainly has worked for me. I haven't been abducted since I've been wearing my aluminum helmet. In fact, I haven't had a single visitor to my mobile home for over two years since I've been wearing mine.

One caveat that I forgot to mention though. When I heat up my TV dinner in the microwave every night my head gets a little hot if I stand to close. So if you have to use the microwave you might want to wait in the next room.

As far as the noise, if you can still hear it, you need to use more foil.

hth

Rob Will
06-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Well Rob, I'm sorry if it hasn't worked for you but it certainly has worked for me. I haven't been abducted since I've been wearing my aluminum helmet. In fact, I haven't had a single visitor to my mobile home for over two years since I've been wearing mine.

One caveat that I forgot to mention though. When I heat up my TV dinner in the microwave every night my head gets a little hot if I stand to close. So if you have to use the microwave you might want to wait in the next room.

hth

Thanks Mark,
The extra foil did the trick.
Rob

Dave Lewis
06-29-2007, 9:56 PM
I also have Lithonia brand fixtures in a basement shop that do NOT hum. However, when the lights are on (6 fixtures x 4 x 4' bulbs - not all bulbs installed) they create static for the TV and stereo.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2007, 10:32 PM

hth

Thanks Mark,
The extra foil did the trick.
Rob

:D :D :D :D