PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Angers Another Customer

fRED mCnEILL
06-25-2007, 12:17 AM
My son bought me a Rigid circular saw for Fathers Day. Unfortunately I already have a good saw and didn't feel an extra one was necessary so he gave me the receipt so I could return it. He had paid for it by debit card. So when I returned it HD wanted to credit his debit card but of course, I didn't have it. They would only issue an in store creidt which was unsatisfactory for me as I wanted to buy a tool they didn't carry. I argued with the manager that they had received their money so why should there be a problem giving me a refund .No reason except its policy.

Well, my new policy, which I have explained to my wife and kids is don't buy me anything at HD.

Just for fun, when I was at Costco I asked them their reuturn policy on debit card purchases. They said they would refund the cash if I wanted.

Seems to me I read a letter from the HD president on the creek a while ago explaining why their service had gone to hell. I can see why. I quite like shopping at HD despite their associates being totally clueless. but this goes to far.

Fred Mc.

Mike Heidrick
06-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Sorry you had a rough deal here. This is not a CS issue though - it is a clearly stated policy that many stores alo have. Do not take this reply negatively though. It gives you some info you may not have known.

First off, Give the saw back to your son, let him return it, and let him buy you the tool you really wanted. Communicate ahead of time what you really want and you should not have any issue in the future. That or buy yourself (your money) the tool you want and use the home depot credit on purchases you would make their normally - all works out in the end if you normally shop there.

Home Depot paid a 3% fee for your son to buy the saw on his debit card. It gets credited back when they return the money back to Visa/Card Issurer. Home Depot looses money if they give you cash back. That is why they do not do this type of transaction. Costco does do this, why?, you paid them an extra $30 to walk into their store and they want $30 more next year, and next year, etc.

Many stores have the policy you are unhappy about. It is not a HD only policy so maybe you should check out the store policies at the stores you do like.

Happy belated fathers day though.

fRED mCnEILL
06-25-2007, 1:19 AM
"Costco does do this, why?, you paid them an extra $30 to walk into their store and they want $30 more next year, and next year, etc."

Actually, I pay $150 per year to walk into their store but in return I generally get merchandise cheaper than anywhere else and last year got a $1000 rebate on top of that based on my purchases.As matter of fact when I was asking today about their debit card policy I was in the store using a $500 rebate cheque.

As far as HD paying a 3% fee that seems quite high. In a past life I owned a small businness that was party of a medium size buying group and we paid less than 2%. With HD volumes I would be surprised if they paid anyewhere near 3%.

Chuck Lenz
06-25-2007, 9:15 AM
I think Menards is the same way.

Gary Keedwell
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I have been a Costco member for over 17 years and my little membership has been paid for many times over. A few weeks ago I purchased a LCD wide screen TV for $300-400 cheaper then everyone else's. Well, A couple weeks after I bought it, there was another$300 (another$@300) rebate. I went back there and they credited my Visa Card the $300. When we bring something home and for some reason were not happy....we bring it back..no questions asked.
You picked the wrong store to compare to Home Crapo!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Gary K.

Byron Trantham
06-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been a Costco member for over 17 years and my little membership has been paid for many times over. A few weeks ago I purchased a LCD wide screen TV for $300-400 cheaper then everyone else's. Well, A couple weeks after I bought it, there was another$300 (another$@300) rebate. I went back there and they credited my Visa Card the $300. When we bring something home and for some reason were not happy....we bring it back..no questions asked.
You picked the wrong store to compare to Home Crapo!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Gary K.

Yea Costco!! I had the same experience. I bought a plasma from them, then 5 weeks later my son bought the same one for $100 less!:mad: I took my receipt in and they said I was one week over the limit but they gave me the credit anyway with NO hassle! About a year ago a chair we bought from them broke (chinese cast aluminum base). We had the chair for over nine months. I called on the phone and they said no problem just bring it back. Now here is the hitch, we bought two of them for our partner's desk and would like to buy the same chair so they would match. That part number was no longer in stock. Are you ready for this? They took BOTH chairs back and gave us a full refund! Turns out they DID have the chairs just under another part number. Of course we bought them. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Dave Falkenstein
06-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with a store having a policy for giving in-store credit for returns. Lots of stores have that policy, and it is understandable, IMHO.

Matt Meiser
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
As much as I hate Home Depot, I can't fault them for this. Virtually everyone handles returns exactly as you describe. I'm suprised that Costco doesn't.

BTW, how much do you have to spend at Costco to get a $1000 rebate? :D We are getting Costco in Toledo this summer. Can't wait to check them out. We used to buy a lot of stuff at Sam's, especially diapers, when my daughter was younger, but stopped going because it is on the other side of town. From what I hear Costco is much better and they are building it much closer to me than Sam's.

Jerry Ingraham
06-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I just returned some items to HD last week which I had purchased with my debit card and they refunded me in cash. I even asked that they just credit it back to my debit card and they said that cash was the policy:rolleyes: . I really wonder if the issue here is that it was you, not your son with his debit card in hand that caused them to handle it the way they did.

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
In my experience, most stores will give in-store credit if you have no receipt, but can prove you bought it there. In this example, since the saw was a Ridgid, it obviously came from Home Depot. If I have a receipt and I'm returning an item, which I did not damage, in a reasonable time, I expect a cash refund. Period.

There's absolutely no reason to offer only in store credit if the customer has a receipt and used a debit card. I consider the debit card fee the cost of doing business. If HD doesn't want to give customers cash refunds for debit card purchases, why shop there and not at Amazon.com? If retailers insist on eliminating the few benefits of shopping brick-and-mortar, it will encourage even more people to buy online.

I've also had good exeperiences with Sam's club. I bought a home theater speaker system there. A couple of weeks later, the price had dropped by $100. I politely explained the situation to the manager. He gave me a cash refund for the difference, no questions asked, right then and there. That's the kind of service that brings me back to a store again and again.

Gary Keedwell
06-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I still remember the 1st year of our membership. My 1st major purchase was a chipper-shredder. I was so exicited that I saved enough money to pay for about 6 years membership. I asked the guy at Costco how they sold it so inexpensive ( I had shopped that model all over the place and this was before on-line shopping) and he said that there is a certain percentage of "mark-up" that they won't go over. ( or something like that).
There is a certain over the counter medication that more then pays for my membership. Costco's isn't for everybody....but I really enjoy shopping there.
Gary K.

PS. There's a reason why Home Depot's profit and stock value is going down-hill fast!!!

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure what's going on with Home Depot. Whatever it is, it's not good. I was there this past Saturday to buy a dual pole circuit breaker. The place was a mess. There was stuff clogging the aisles. There were very few customers. I found the breaker I needed.

Two Lowe's stores I visited that morning had been out of stock on that breaker. Being out of stock isn't good, but I think it has more to do with a lot more people shopping at Lowe's. The aisles there were full of people instead of loose merchandise.

I have a friend who is retiring from the Army. He's an O-4, prior enlisted, Iraq combat vet. He has an undergrad in CIS and recently completed an MBA. He looked into a management program at Home Depot. All over the web Home Depot gloats about this program and they encourage people to apply. My friend tried to apply again and again. He never heard anything. He left messages, but nobody would call him back. He sent email and nobody replied. He sent resumes and didn't get so much as an acknowledgment let alone a rejection letter. He ended up getting a much better job elsewhere. Yet another loss for Home Depot.

A coworker told me just last week she heard HD fully expects to go belly-up soon and is planning to cash in on selling the prime commercial real estate they own. Maybe there's something to that. :confused:

Jim Becker
06-25-2007, 11:10 AM
The key here is "Debit Card". Many stores have different policies for returns when a Debit Card was used to make the purchase.
-------

On a moderation note, let's keep this conversation clean and civil...I've already had to make one edit for language.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Matt Meiser
06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
A coworker told me just last week she heard HD fully expects to go belly-up soon and is planning to cash in on selling the prime commercial real estate they own. Maybe there's something to that. :confused:

Since their stock is trading towards the upper end of the 52 week range this morning, I find that unlikely--unless your co-worker has knowledge that the financial world doesn't. None the less, I'd attend the firesale at the local store just to snicker at the local managers who enjoy the distinction of being the vast majority of the reason I shop there as little as possible.

Matt Meiser
06-25-2007, 11:18 AM
The key here is "Debit Card".

Perhaps a difference as to whether you tell them your debit card is a credit card or a debit card too. I always use my debit card as a credit card instead of as a debit card where I would need to enter my PIN.

Gary Keedwell
06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
A couple of footnotes.....

I see alot of the same employees at Costco that were there when it opened near me 17 years ago. They have one of the best employee benefit packages in the retail business.
A couple years ago, I applied for a job at our local Home Depot. I told them (HR & store manager) of my vast experience and they offered me $8.00 an hour. I asked what they pay someone out of high school with no experience and they said the same thing, $8.00 an hour!!!!:confused: Go figure.
I also applied at my local Lowe's and they offered me $12.00 an hour. Needless to say, I worked there for a few months, and I can tell you for a fact that the turn-over rate there for employees is alot lower than HD. There is also alot of older people there ( more knowledgeable) then at HD, who seem to hire alot of teenagers.
Just a few thoughts......
Gary K.

Lloyd McKinlay
06-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I doubt the Home Depot receipt designates between a debit or credit card purchase. Bank don't allow cash refunds on credit card purchases (at least they didn't a few years ago) since it would be the same as a cash advance, which usually carries a higher interest rate and extra fees. Can you imagine any bank giving up extra income?

I'm not a fan of Home Depot but I think they were justified in this case.

Chuck Lenz
06-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I had the same experience over a year ago Pat. Home Depot had just built a new store and so did Lowes. I applied at both places, I never heard a word back from Home Depot, but I did get a interview at Lowes and a card in the mail telling me I wasn't selected for the job. Home Depot started off to a bad start here, they opened without a fully stocked store, and a few months after they opened there was rumour that they were haveing management problems and couldn't keep employees or customers. The parking lot is usually so empty you wonder if they are even open half the time. It's really a shame, alot of their products are of better quality compared to Menards, and Menards is kickin everybody's butt in town. Lowes is somewhere in the middle as far as volume of customers from what I can tell by looking at the parking lots.

Al Willits
06-25-2007, 1:03 PM
I've never had any problem returning stuff to either menards or HD, we use a card and they generally just credit the card, not sure why you'd expect cash back, I see the chance of CC fraud if they gave cash back.
Not you, others...btw
And that costs all of us money.

Ya usually get what ya pay for in these types of stores, complaining about the quailty of $30 plywood when you compare it to the $150 a sheet furniture grade stuff is just foolish inho, yet I see it happen repeatily.

If I have this right...
They offered to credit it back to the card that was used to buy it, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Unfortnate that the kid didn't go with though, that would have made life eaiser than you driving over there, and having this problem.

Al.....who thinks if ya paint a target, people will shoot it

Dave Sabo
06-25-2007, 1:19 PM
Fred & Mike - another reason HD's policy is like this is to combat fraud. Costco has all your vital info on file when you join. They or the authorities can track you down if there is any funny business. Depot doesn't have this info as a matter of record for all customers.

Matt - the # is about $50,000

Pat - Rigid's tools are available online from at least one non HD vendor. It's not their entire line but it is available. Also, HD is not anywhere near going out of business. You or you friend are grossly mis-informed or are trying to float a rumor. HD is flush with cash, trying to buy back large chunks of outstanding shares, and are working at unloading their multi-billion dollar wholesale division at a 100% proifit. Does their service stink? You bet. Are some stores dirty, unstocked, and empty? Absolutly. Same can be said for some Lowes and Menards stores.

Lloyd- The reciept you get at HD or Lowes for that matter has a bar code on it that tells everything one would ever want to know about that particular transaction, date,time, payment method, item(s), cc or debit card info, ect...

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 3:15 PM
FYI, I just want to be clear I'm not "anti-Home Depot". I think they have some good products with very good prices. I came close to buying a Ridgid drill press recently. I went with a Delta only because it was on sale at Lowe's and I thought it had a nicer table.

I think the general sentiment people are expressing here is disappointment. We would love to see HD succeed in a competitive market. This is best for HD and consumers. Some people may revel in seeing HD go belly-up, but that would just hurt a lot of good employees as well as lousy managers and executives. I see HD as a home improvement/general contractor store. Therefore, I don't expect them to carry high-quality hardwood or plywood and certainly wouldn't criticize them for not doing so.

As for customer service, I strongly believe companie should be able to adapt to their customers' needs and can do so without succumbing to fraud. If a customer is returning an item which was a gift, and has a receipt, it makes sense to provide a cash refund in that case. The fact HD could not accommodate the original poster here shows a lack of true customer service. I would say the same about any retailer in that situation and not just HD.

Robert Mayer
06-25-2007, 3:41 PM
No receipt? You get store credit. Period.

As much as I hate home depot, this isnt their fault.

Tyler Howell
06-25-2007, 4:02 PM
They've had to tighten up do to fraud.
I can't believe the crap people try to return.
Years old, no receipt, broken, stolen, from another borg:eek: .
What gall.
I'm surprised more haven't gone belly up.
Plane and simple you don't get service at a borg.
Just cheaper stuff!!!
We're pay for all the junk some crooks slide past their gate keeper.
Hope they stay tough.

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 4:06 PM
No receipt? You get store credit. Period.

As much as I hate home depot, this isnt their fault.

The OP clearly said he did have the receipt.

Bruce

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 4:34 PM
They've had to tighten up do to fraud.
I can't believe the crap people try to return.
Years old, no receipt, broken, stolen, from another borg:eek: .
What gall.
I'm surprised more haven't gone belly up.
Plane and simple you don't get service at a borg.
Just cheaper stuff!!!
We're pay for all the junk some crooks slide past their gate keeper.
Hope they stay tough.

I have frequently received good service from Home Depot. Especially in their paint department. I'm sometimes a professional painter so I'm in there far more than the average person. Sometimes they are understaffed so while the service is slow, it is eventually thorough. But usually it's fast enough and very helpful. They even give me excellent advice when I need it. The prices are good and I prefer their paint over the paint-only stores in town.

A few weeks ago I was looking for some specific electrical switch covers. I didn't see it in the usual isle it should be so I decided to just leave and look at a different store. As I turned around the young HD employee asked if I needed help. I told him the problem and he walked me several isles over directly to what I needed. I asked him why it wasn't with the rest and he said he didn't know. But at least he did know where it was and he went as far as I could possibly expect anyone to go to make sure I got it. He even asked if he could help me with the rest of my list, which was rather long. I thanked him and said I knew where everything else was.

You say you don't get service, just cheaper stuff? I say you're wrong about that. The service isn't always very good there but then again, neither is the service I get at Lowes, Costco (when I need help with an item), or any of the other big box stores. There aren't many small store choices left in my town for much of what HD offers. When I do go to them I don't always get top notch service or top notch quality either but I nearly always pay more for it.

I work at a small, (15 store) lumber yard/home center chain. While there are two stores in my area neither are conveniently located. My store is only about 6 months old and it's the cleanest most well organized store of it's kind I've ever seen. The building and yard are brand new. Most of the employees are experienced, having come from another branch that closed before this one opened. We try really hard to give good service and many of our prices, (but certainly not all) are competitive with HD. Our problem is that business is soooo sloooow right now that we can't afford to have more than just a skeleton crew. That's adequate most of the time but when we get busy for an hour or two the customers sometimes have to wait. The other store on the other side of town has been there for years. They are much busier than we are but the employees tend to have a bad attitude. Before I was hired by the company, that other store as well as the one that closed were places I swore I'd never set foot into again. The service there has sucked for me, way worse than HD has ever been. The new store has a different manager and therefore, he as given a different attitude to the employees.

Much of the business we get is from building contractors. I gotta say that probably 40% of them tend to be arrogant jerks who are in too big of a hurry to be polite or thankful. I've seen them come in with a completely obnoxious attitude but we have to take it with a smile and just suck it up. I know that many of the customers at HD and Lowes are the same way. I don't blame some of the attitude on the employees all of the time. They take more abuse than anyone should have to sometimes. I don't know if I'm going to continue to be able to take it myself if I have to be in direct contact with the customers for the rest of my days. My plan is to more into the business area of it and less of the service area. We'll see...

Bruce

James Carmichael
06-25-2007, 5:01 PM
I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and give a refund if the original receipt was presented.

Is this one of those instances where a "gift receipt" is needed?

LOML buys everything on a debit card, and I've never had a problem returning anything with receipt.

Robert Mayer
06-25-2007, 5:17 PM
The OP clearly said he did have the receipt.

Bruce

I see that now. I need to read slower.

Gary Keedwell
06-25-2007, 5:37 PM
I have frequently received good service from Home Depot. Especially in their paint department. I'm sometimes a professional painter so I'm in there far more than the average person. Sometimes they are understaffed so while the service is slow, it is eventually thorough. But usually it's fast enough and very helpful. They even give me excellent advice when I need it. The prices are good and I prefer their paint over the paint-only stores in town.

A few weeks ago I was looking for some specific electrical switch covers. I didn't see it in the usual isle it should be so I decided to just leave and look at a different store. As I turned around the young HD employee asked if I needed help. I told him the problem and he walked me several isles over directly to what I needed. I asked him why it wasn't with the rest and he said he didn't know. But at least he did know where it was and he went as far as I could possibly expect anyone to go to make sure I got it. He even asked if he could help me with the rest of my list, which was rather long. I thanked him and said I knew where everything else was.

You say you don't get service, just cheaper stuff? I say you're wrong about that. The service isn't always very good there but then again, neither is the service I get at Lowes, Costco (when I need help with an item), or any of the other big box stores. There aren't many small store choices left in my town for much of what HD offers. When I do go to them I don't always get top notch service or top notch quality either but I nearly always pay more for it.

I work at a small, (15 store) lumber yard/home center chain. While there are two stores in my area neither are conveniently located. My store is only about 6 months old and it's the cleanest most well organized store of it's kind I've ever seen. The building and yard are brand new. Most of the employees are experienced, having come from another branch that closed before this one opened. We try really hard to give good service and many of our prices, (but certainly not all) are competitive with HD. Our problem is that business is soooo sloooow right now that we can't afford to have more than just a skeleton crew. That's adequate most of the time but when we get busy for an hour or two the customers sometimes have to wait. The other store on the other side of town has been there for years. They are much busier than we are but the employees tend to have a bad attitude. Before I was hired by the company, that other store as well as the one that closed were places I swore I'd never set foot into again. The service there has sucked for me, way worse than HD has ever been. The new store has a different manager and therefore, he as given a different attitude to the employees.

Much of the business we get is from building contractors. I gotta say that probably 40% of them tend to be arrogant jerks who are in too big of a hurry to be polite or thankful. I've seen them come in with a completely obnoxious attitude but we have to take it with a smile and just suck it up. I know that many of the customers at HD and Lowes are the same way. I don't blame some of the attitude on the employees all of the time. They take more abuse than anyone should have to sometimes. I don't know if I'm going to continue to be able to take it myself if I have to be in direct contact with the customers for the rest of my days. My plan is to more into the business area of it and less of the service area. We'll see...

Bruce
Yea , working in retail is a trying endeavor, to say the least. I worked in a Lowe's for a few months that was very customer oriented. Most of them were OK. Every time I got a jerk I would think of all the good people I helped before he came there and all the good people I would help when he left. I worked in building materials and I found it easier to be aggressive. I would start talking and carry the conversation to set the tone. I find that the timid and quiet types have a harder time with it. The customer sees that as a form of apathy. Worked for me.
Gary K.

Glenn Clabo
06-25-2007, 5:47 PM
Things that make me go HHHhhhhmmmm?

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 5:58 PM
Yea , working in retail is a trying endeavor, to say the least. I worked in a Lowe's for a few months that was very customer oriented. Most of them were OK. Every time I got a jerk I would think of all the good people I helped before he came there and all the good people I would help when he left. I worked in building materials and I found it easier to be aggressive. I would start talking and carry the conversation to set the tone. I find that the timid and quiet types have a harder time with it. The customer sees that as a form of apathy. Worked for me.
Gary K.

I have it easier than most where I work. I usually work in the yard, primarily at the gate shack. I am somewhat of a gimp due to a bad motorcycle accident a few years back so standing on my feet all day isn't an option. I gotta say that this place has holds the tightest reigns on inventory control of any place I've ever worked in or shopped in. I count every single item, (Pulled from the yard) that goes into or out of the yard. And this has already been paid for inside the store. I don't have a cash register or even a computer in the shack. I think they're afraid I'll hurt myself.;) I know sometimes the customers accidentally take too much but it's surprising how many people are clearly just thieves. "Oops! I accidentally took two 4x4s instead of just the one I paid for". Yeah, right. "Thank you sir! I'll unload that one for you. Glad we could help! :rolleyes: I also help people with product selection and it's amazing how many people have the unfortunate combination of ignorance and pride. "I may not know what I need but I sure as hell ain't gonna be learned by an idjit at a gate shack!" Okey dokey! Good luck!:) ...:mad: And then they come back complaining that they can't find what they need and I should help them.:rolleyes: :D I sure do wish I could tell them that the only reason I'm working there is because my legs are too messed up to work more than part time as a tradesman anymore. But, why should I care I guess.:cool:

Bruce

Gary Keedwell
06-25-2007, 5:59 PM
Things that make me go HHHhhhhmmmm?
You again......What are you trying to say?:confused:
Gary K.

Steven Triggs
06-25-2007, 6:07 PM
Fred,
Just wondering, is it possible that Costco was referring to how they do a refund if you use your PIN with the debit card (which makes it an ATM transaction) and perhaps your son signed for it instead of using a PIN (which makes it a Visa/Mastercard transaction)? For some stores, this makes a difference. Wal-Mart will refund it to the card if you signed for it, and will issue a cash refund if you used your PIN.

Anyway, not saying you're right or wrong, just curious if this might have something to do with it.

Steven

Per Swenson
06-25-2007, 6:27 PM
OK.

No Home Creepo lover here....but.

7 years ago you could return everything and

any thing there, sans reciept.

During this time the Junkie, crack head, scam artist element was fully

appreciative of the Creepos good nature.

Why 5 years ago a couple was busted in the local lumber lot,

with a laptop, printer, scanner, and codes for everything in the store.

Took advantage, like hunting fish with grenades.

The people in the long run who pay for this shrinkage is you and me.

So I can reasonably accept their return policy and the

hassle it entails.

Now if they would just take some of the monies saved against shrinkage

and invest it a knowledgeable sales staff......:o

Per

Jeff Raymond
06-25-2007, 6:29 PM
Coupla notes here:

1. I had originally thought that HD had the lower prices, but find that local hardware stores have much lower prices on certain items. Kind of like Wal-Mart. On the specials, they may be great, but be careful as you may be paying for convenience.

2. Two weeks ago, I bought 11 sticks of 1 x 4 x 8. It wasn't bad stuff, but I needed it in a hurry to finish something. The price was $8.35 for the clear, so went to check out to pay, expecting 11 x $8.35 for the wood, in addition to some other stuff. The clerk beeped the wood and the total bill was $62.35. I told her it wasn't right, because I was buying 11 pieces, not one. She got haughty with me, telling me that it was her aisle, etc.

I insisted, trying to be a truthful guy and not wanting to steal the wood. She said that my job was to sign the CC for the wood and leave the premises or she would notify store security.

So, for the last time, I said that the wood itself was worth more than the total bill and she grimaced, worked her machine, I signed the slip and left.

No thank you or anything.

It would seem that a store can't go on for very long with that level of staff. I don't feel guilty after trying to pay much more for my order THREE times.

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 6:39 PM
Going directly to the store manager after checkout would've accomplished two things: It would've got an A'hole fired and it would've kept you honest. You may have tried to pay more 3 times but you didn't try to do it with someone competent. You could've felt better both ways! :) Just a thought...

Bruce

Eugene A. Manzo III
06-25-2007, 6:43 PM
I like all stores in America - we are all trying to make a living and I think the service I have recieved in Maine is very very good. I also do not think
they were wrong in your return situation. I also have a lowes nearby and
shop there as well.

Michael Schwartz
06-25-2007, 7:02 PM
Every time I go to home depot there is something that gets in the way of me giving them my hard earned cash. The most ridiculous of them so far,

It was about 8:00 in the evening, I was buying 25 1x3x8's and when I went to pay the contractor regestier was closed, there was a half hour long line at the tool crib, and so I went to the only other open register, the self checkout, of which there was no line or anything. I proceded to ask the guy to scan the lumber and he refused to ring me up, saying that it would hold up other customers. :eek:

I wouldn't take that for an awnser so I pointed out the line at the tool crib and asked him if those people were holding up the people trying to pay for tools. (I have had this happen to me a million times) and pointed out that the contractor register was closed.

He went on to say that the contractor register closes at 7:00 and I told him I get off work at 7:00, and I am a contractor.

Before I asked if I could speek to his boss he finaly gave in and it took him 30 seconds to scan the 25 items.

I would have just walked out and taken my money a local lumberyard if I hadn't needed the stuff the next day.

The last time I was there there was a Cop giving them a real hard time, screaming and yelling at them, reading them the riot act, ordering them to help him etc... I know if I pulled this stuff on them they would have the cops out to arrest me for trespassing and disorderly conduct etc...

There is one particular home depot in my area that has imrpoved and has goten signifigantly bettter (College Park Maryland), probably because there is a good example of a Lowes 10 minuets away.

If you are ever in Burlington Vermont the Home depot there is amazing. Well Stocked, spotless, great selection of merchandise.

But every other one I have been in is a bad joke.

The only people who are of any help and speak any english are selling windows, cabinets, and doors.

Robert Mayer
06-25-2007, 7:13 PM
My biggest problems with home depot is the fact they their store are always insanely dirty and unorganized. I have been to about 5 home depots and their all the same. If you live in Tulsa go check out the garden department on the one at 41st and sheridan. Theres dead trees everywhere, broken pavers, paper merchadise sitting outside water logged, a lawn mower that probably fell off a forklift, etc etc.

Service at lowes is usually a bit better, but they have much cleaner and organized stores.

Glenn Clabo
06-25-2007, 7:17 PM
All I'm saying is..."I found it easier to be aggressive. I would start talking and carry the conversation to set the tone. I find that the timid and quiet types have a harder time with it." makes me wonder how people would react. I would be pretty upset.

Gary Keedwell
06-25-2007, 7:54 PM
All I'm saying is..."I found it easier to be aggressive. I would start talking and carry the conversation to set the tone. I find that the timid and quiet types have a harder time with it." makes me wonder how people would react. I would be pretty upset.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my haste to post before my scheduled appointment. What I meant was after awhile you can "read" people and their moods. By being "aggressive I meant to smile and ask " How ya doing today?" "Can I help you find something?" Try to make the customer at ease by being friendly. If a customer is irritated or angry and you use a timid approach, he might think you are avoiding him or he might think that you do not care, therefore escalating the situation.
Making eye contact with the customer , it makes him feel that you know or care that he is there. Have you ever been to a store where they run and hide when they see customers or pretend that you not there?
That's what I ,maybe, mistakenly referred to as "aggressive"
Gary K.;)

David Eisan
06-25-2007, 8:09 PM
My son bought me a Rigid circular saw for Fathers Day. Unfortunately I already have a good saw and didn't feel an extra one was necessary so he gave me the receipt so I could return it. He had paid for it by debit card. So when I returned it HD wanted to credit his debit card but of course, I didn't have it. They would only issue an in store creidt which was unsatisfactory for me as I wanted to buy a tool they didn't carry. I argued with the manager that they had received their money so why should there be a problem giving me a refund .No reason except its policy.Fred Mc.

I work retail every day and have for almost 8 years. Our Interac (bank) machine tracks all the purchases and assigns them a code. It knows what card paid what amount. It is impossible to credit a card that the machine does not recognise as having made a purchase in the last 30 days. Trust me I have tried, spent 20 minutes on the phone with the bank people, it cannot be done.

Live and learn, next time be sure the purchaser is actually there with their card.

Thanks,

David.

Jeff Raymond
06-25-2007, 8:34 PM
Going directly to the store manager after checkout would've accomplished two things: It would've got an A'hole fired and it would've kept you honest. You may have tried to pay more 3 times but you didn't try to do it with someone competent. You could've felt better both ways! :) Just a thought...

Bruce

You're right. I didn't even think about that considering how rudely I was treated.

I think I will go back to the store, check with the manager and explain what happened.

Thanks for the angelic thought.

Chuck Lenz
06-25-2007, 8:49 PM
LOL, that will solve alot. Put one flunky out of a job and they will just hire another flunky. Why get pissed about it ? You came out ahead. It's not your problem, It's the stores problem for paying low wages and ending up with those kind of employees while the CEO's take home rediculous amounts of money doing it. If you got over charged that would be a different story and I could understand going back.

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 9:04 PM
^^ Dollars to doughnuts the manager would have been "out" or "unavailable", which explains a lot. It's likely the manager is dogged with completing revenue spreadsheets, submitting reports, scheduling shifts, approving timecards, attending diversity training, sensitivity training, anti-fraud training and using the latest crappy inventory software training. There's no time for store managers to actually manage anything these days.

I find the only places where there's a manager almost always on duty and available are restaurants. And, you better believe if I have a serious problem at a restaurant, I ask to speak to the manager. I've also asked to speak to restaurant managers to point out what great service I received at their restaurant and they always appreciate it. :)

The numerous replies in this thread suggest there's an obvious problem with retail these days and it's not just with Home Depot. Many places have absolutely awful service. Most places have inconsistent service. Far too few places have consistently good customer service. All too often it almost impossible for employees to give good service. How many times have you been at a cash register and had to wait for a "supervisor" to do something? Man, there's nothing I hate more than, "The computer won't let me do it".

Mike Heidrick
06-25-2007, 9:30 PM
The last two times I was in Home Depot I had great customer service. Our store is pretty new - within the last year. The guy working in the cut-to-length section came over, asked teh project I was working on, and pointed me to some wood he had just clearenced out telling which buys were the best. He was very very nice and said I should check back with him latter in the week and he might have more of a selection. T

he time beofre that was during the half off Dewalt 7.2 screwdriver deal online. The store in Peoria ordered me out one and sold it to me for the half price. They were great.

I do not shop there much though Prices are too high. They are the only place here locally that sells the CabinetMaster clamps though.

I think our local stores have a generally good staff that is very knowledgeable of their store. I have never worked retail so I do not put down the folks that do work there. I am thankful they do so when I do need someone I at least have someone to ask. Lowes has always been quick to offer to order me out whatever I needed if they did not have one.

Rob Wright
06-25-2007, 9:48 PM
Menards/Home Depot - What's the difference? Same stuff (junk sometimes), different prices each week.
When HD opened in town - what a noticeable difference the Menards staff had in attitude. I go back and forth between the two. If I need MDF, I will go to HD because I have them cut it on the panel saw to fit in my VW Golf without having to get my truck from work. Good plywood and wood is bought almost exclusively at a supplier. I try to buy construction lumber at the local building supply. Delivery is cheap.

So the real HD story- Saturday I go to HD 8:00 am. I manage to move all of the lumber carts out of the way to get to the sheet goods- they of course had them lined up both sides of the aisle so I was unable to easily load any lumber. Multiple wrokers walk by as I am man handling 3/4" thick pieces of mdf onto the cart. I finally get enough of the damaged ones off of the top of the pile to get 3 decent ones. Manage to get them onto the cart and proceed to the panel saw in the back. (near the break room) I have no less than another 6 people walk by without evening making eye contact - they actually looked away - hey hey can you help me cut these - sorry I work in electrical. I leave the cart by the saw and try to find someone to help cut the 3 sheets. 5 minutes later I find a guy in the lumber section and I ask nicely -"hey can find someone to cut a few panels for me - when you get a chance?" " Sure - 1 min. I will be there.

Well I wait and have more employees avoid me for at least 5min more. I get angry enough, walk right to the manager and give a piece of my mind that if I operated my business this way I would be out of business. He does not even offer to have someone cut the three pieces and I tell him that no more - the only way that I am going back to his store is to get the 10% back when I find a local retailer with a lower advertised price.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!:mad:

David DeCristoforo
06-25-2007, 9:51 PM
Maybe it's just because I'm and old fart but I have to ask, "What did you expect?" Home Depot is just like all the other "big box" stores. Their primary goal is to get your money, not to provide you with "service" regardless of what their ads say. And the result of their "never have to travel more than 10 miles to find one" approach has done more to destroy service oriented small businesses than anything else I can think of.

Here in the Woodland/Davis CA area, we used to have a great hardware store called Cranston Bros. And when I lived in Nevada, it was Myers Hardware in Carson City or Commercial Hardware in Reno. They have all disappeared, pushed out of business by H.D. et al. These stores were in these really old buildings with creaky wood plank floors, 14' ceilings with shelves going all the way up and those rolling library type ladders.

At Cranston Bros., there was this guy named Homer who was older than Jesus and had been working in that store since he was 16. Homer could find anything. He knew everything there was to know about hardware and many was the time I went in to that store and said "Hey Homer, I'm looking for one of those dealybobs that has the rubber thing on the bottom and a little widget sticking out the side, you know?". And Homer would say "Yeah you need a double dynanable bolster...what size you lookin' fer?" and he would wander off into the dark recesses of the store and come back with exactly what I needed. So it was with all of the other stores. In Meyers hardware, I bought rim locks that exactly matched the ones in the 1928 era house I lived in, brand new, still in the original box. I found vacuum coffee makers on the shelf. You name it.

Then along comes HD. The old hardware store closes after a hundred and fifty years in business along with the local lumber yard. So I go into HD one day looking for some pine bead board for a small project my son is doing. I am accosted by a pimply faced kid in an orange vest who assures me that this stuff was never made in boards duhhh....it comes in sheets man. "No", I assure him, "I don't want that embossed pressboard crap, I'm looking for pine beadboard..." and pretty soon I'm confronting no fewer than five pimply faced kids in orange vests, one with a badge that says "Manager" on it and they are all telling me that I must be from the moon or something because everyone knows that there's only embossed sheets.....

Now, in addition to being a grouchy old fart, I'm also an Italian and I tend to heat up under the collar a bit when confronted with even a small amount of frustration. I really do try to keep a civil tone but this scene just popped my cork and I started to give the group of orange vested know-it-alls a bit of Italian style advice about where they could put their embossed pressboard sheets when the futility of it all hit me. I mean come on, they work at a store that sells screws in little plastic envelopes that have three screws in them.

At that point I simply decided never to shop there again or at any of these stores that have become known as BORGS. I have "visited" several and they all have the same stuff on the shelves and the same pimply faced kids in orange vests, eagerly offering to "help" me. Pleeeease! I don't care if I have to spend more dough to shop elsewhere. I only hope that we still have an elsewhere to shop at. Thank God for the internet because I hate shopping anyway.....

Greg Cuetara
06-25-2007, 9:58 PM
I think one thing here is a difference in generation...most older folks still pay for everything with cash or checks...the younger generation doesn't carry around as much cash if any at all and pays for everything with their card.
I do think that if that is the HD policy at the store you went to then you just have to suck it up. Most stores now have a very clear policy written at the front of the store stating what their return policy is with CC, DC, cash within such a timeframe etc. I have only been able to get money back if I paid cash for a transaction...I actually saw a policy at a store the other day which said if you bring something back they will mail you a check within 10 business days.
If you really want to complain about a policy, Best Buy, had a policy in which if you return something you had to pay a 15% restocking fee.
Take the Credit and buy something else....or save it for another bigger tool purchase...
good luck

Matt Meiser
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
If you really want to complain about a policy, Best Buy, had a policy in which if you return something you had to pay a 15% restocking fee.

I think that was to go with their policy of charging an extra 15% on their internal web site. :mad:

My problem with Home Depot is the time-wasting issue brought up in an MSN article several weeks ago. When I bought my windows, they tried to charge me something like $200 extra per window for a size they stocked because I needed 10 and they only had a spot on the shelf for 4, and therefore mine must be a "special order". Then they gave me a hard time about returning one that had very obvious damage. Then they didn't deliver the replacement on the promised date so I had to drive down and take care of it myself since the contractor was coming the next day. Then they gave me attitude because I refused another damaged one after the guy brought it down from the upper level of racking and he had to go back up and get another one. Then they wouldn't give me screens from screens that another store had in stock but were backordered at this store because of "store politics." And on and on until I had written 2 different letters to Robert Nardelli. They bought me off with a $50 gift card--then the store manager and some of his cronies followed my wife and I around the store when we went in to spend it, hanging out at the end of each aisle we went down, then turning away and acting busy when we headed their way. I've probably been in there 3-4 times since --almost a year and a half and only as a last resort. I've walked out empty handed as much as I've bought something too.

Now on my local stores--most of them are open only to early evening, sometimes Saturday until noon. It is a PITA to get to most of them. This is nothing new--its is the way they've always done it. The lumberyard closest to my house is open until 5 on weekdays and not at all on weekends. Never been there because that almost never works for me. Second closest is a little better, open until 5:30 and on Saturday morning, but at least they'll deliver to me for free--if I have the time to plan far enough in advance. The hardware stores are OK, open until about 8--unfortunately by the time we eat dinner and I get started on my project of the evening, it is getting close to 8 before I realize what I need. When we went to buy tile, only the borgs were open the evening we went looking. The "good" local place had closed at 7, which meant we were barely done with dinner. Whether or not it is right, this leaves me with the impression that these places are more interested in dealing with contractors.

In our county, the old time lumberyards and hardware stores closed long before Lowes and Home Depot ever arrived. They closed when the old time owners retired or died off. There are still a few good local stores and as far as I can tell they still do OK, but they aren't the old time stores David talks about. Some of them I shop at because I know the owners, but I frequently leave without something I wanted because they don't have it. Usually I end up at Lowes to buy it. When Lowes came to Monroe, MI, the only place I really saw them put out of business was a Wickes Lumber. And in my opinion that was Wickes own doing because they treated people like crap (on purpose, not because they didn't know what they were doing.) Personally I'd stopped going to Wickes long before that.

Todd Jensen
06-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Not to stir the turd in the bowl, as I've gone back and forth in my boycotts of Lowes, Home Depot, etc., and have now settled into a comfortable hate/love relationship with all of them. However, I've gotta say, many of the bigger companies have policies very similar to this. I think its just shocking to 'joe consumer' who doesn't deal with larger business orders - no offense to the starter of this thread - and these big 'box stores' fall somewhere in the middle of Nordstrom's/Costco and a large contractor supply house. No doubt that most of the time their service sucks, but truly that is the norm and not the exception these days. If anything it makes me really, really appreciate good service. Ok, back to topic - what I try and understand is that these policies are in place to protect themselves and the consumer. They don't always seem to jive with the whole 'customer is always right' theme, but they've got to write policies that account for $10 purchases to $50,000 purchases - I'm sure not an easy task.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree - the huge stores really really have terrible personalities. However, they happen to be the 'friend' that stocks more than my 'friend' that has a great personality and service. What can you do? I have ordered tools through Amazon, etc. and sometimes thats a great deal - I saved a couple of hundred dollars on 60 clamps. However, the online retailers, as great as they may be, are still a pain to return stuff to, you can't see or feel what they're selling, and they definitely don't help when you need the tool that day. JMO, hope tomorrow treats you better.:)

Chuck Lenz
06-25-2007, 10:40 PM
I think the problem in todays world is eveybody wants dirt cheap at all costs and feed off the arogance that they can have someone fired if they don't get their way immediately. If customers pulled half the crap they do now in a lumber yard years ago they'd either get laughed out of the store or escorted out.

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear in my haste to post before my scheduled appointment. What I meant was after awhile you can "read" people and their moods. By being "aggressive I meant to smile and ask " How ya doing today?" "Can I help you find something?" Try to make the customer at ease by being friendly. If a customer is irritated or angry and you use a timid approach, he might think you are avoiding him or he might think that you do not care, therefore escalating the situation.
Making eye contact with the customer , it makes him feel that you know or care that he is there. Have you ever been to a store where they run and hide when they see customers or pretend that you not there?
That's what I ,maybe, mistakenly referred to as "aggressive"
Gary K.;)

I agree with this approach. When I approach a customer, or when they drive up to where I am I greet them and give the impression that I'm there to help them but it's my store. I'll help them any way I can but I won't let them take over the situation. My situation is different than those who work at HD or Lowes because it's a real lumber yard. Yes, people are allowed to browse inside the store and look around in the yard but for the most part, they aren't allowed to pick through the neatly stacked lumber and trash it or cut bands or tear open new pallets of concrete. They also aren't allowed to use the saws and we have had people try. We keep an eye on them, basically. They generally get great service. When they come back out to the gate, (if I'm working the gate) I count every item, make sure it's the proper item, and make sure they get what they pay for and only what they pay for. It's amazing how many times I get people saying that they don't care if they got the wrong item. Well, I care and so does the man in charge of our inventory. I actually care if the customer is treated right and gets their money's worth. HD and Lowes would do well to hire more people with experience in the products and the right attitude like me. They just can't afford people like me. Or at least they won't pay what it takes.

Bruce

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I think the problem in todays world is eveybody wants dirt cheap at all costs and feed off the arogance that they can have someone fired if they don't get their way immediately. If customers pulled half the crap they do now in a lumber yard years ago they'd either get laughed out of the store or escorted out.

When was the last time you worked in a real lumber yard? I haven't seen this to be the case in any that I've been to as a customer and it's certainly not the case where I work. Yes, there are some nasty customers, (almost all of them contractors with company accounts) but not most of them and we don't really let them get away with more than anyone else gets away with. None of us are under the threat that we will be fired. Don't confuse Lowes and HD with real lumber yards.

Bruce

Bruce Benjamin
06-25-2007, 11:21 PM
LOL, that will solve alot. Put one flunky out of a job and they will just hire another flunky. Why get pissed about it ? You came out ahead. It's not your problem, It's the stores problem for paying low wages and ending up with those kind of employees while the CEO's take home rediculous amounts of money doing it. If you got over charged that would be a different story and I could understand going back.

This is exactly the attitude that teaches dishonesty in our society. "Hey, it ain't my problem. I put in a minimal effort so I'll just steal from them." I sure don't teach my kids to think this way. My parents didn't teach my brothers or me to think this way. And if you happen to be religious, your religion doesn't teach you to think that way. Why would you being overcharged be any different? What if you left your wallet on the counter? If you walked back in and the cashier had emptied it, well, that's your fault, right? If you hadn't been so forgetful you wouldn't have lost your money. If you had paid closer attention to the transaction you would've caught the overcharge. I don't see much difference between being undercharged by an employee or being overcharged or forgetting your wallet. At least not if I use your standards of honesty.

However, complaining to the manager isn't being dishonest and no manager wants you to walk out paying less for an item than you are supposed to. They may or may not fire that person but you can bet they won't just give them a pat on the back. If they hire another one just like them and they keep getting complaints, then complain higher up the ladder. Stealing has just never seemed right to me no matter how you justify it.

Bruce

Michael Schwartz
06-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Nobody I know has anything good to say about Home Depot.

To me it is a necessary evil :mad:

A few months ago I was buying 2x4's for a framing project, about half a skid worth. The stack was down to about 3 remaining, and so I told an employee and he said that he would arrange for the forklift to come get another stack down. 10 minites later I asked again, and after asking 10 different employees over an hour, the forklift operater finaly comes over and drops another bundle down.

Another day at another location.....

I was buying a framing nailer and I asked one employee if he could get it down, and he says I don't do that, go ask her and points to the tool department manager. I go ask her, and she is busy and tells me to wait, and a guy in the line asks me which model and points me to a box on the floor. I got more help from a customer than an employee, and manager. ;)

Whenever I go into homedepot I have customers come up to me because I am a contractor and they ask me where stuff is, what they need for stuff, etc... because they can't get any help from staff.

Roger Bell
06-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Interesting observations here....let's hope most remain on the Board for us all to enjoy...despite some of the (I must say) descriptively accurate terms used.....David DeC....yours is especially insightful.

In the end...if you don't like what you get, patronize those businesses who do provide you with what you want the way you feel you deserve it....and exhibit some integrity of conviction and pay perhaps a bit more more for it in fair return. Price should not be the only consideration........or is it? And how is it that HD and others got where now are without public support?

Gary Breckenridge
06-25-2007, 11:56 PM
:cool: All store have a return policy based on theft, shrinkage and people returning equipment that they have used for that one time job. Saves some people on a rental charge. Years ago I was in Sears and every spray gun and air compressor had been used not cleaned. The salesman assured me that they were all brand new. Both Home Depot and Lowes are profit driven or obsessed. My advice: Lighten up.:cool:

Dave MacArthur
06-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Interesting thread.
I have received excellent service in both Lowe's and Home Depot in Phoenix. Of course sometimes you run into saleshelp that doesn't know boo, but my experience has been that by and large the folks working there are very friendly and helpful.

Two weeks ago, I took about 2 full shopping carts of crap acquired over a 2 year period from Lowe's, HD, and other stores, into HD. I told the customer service rep, "I bought a lot of this stuff from HD, but I have no idea what, and surely a ton is from Lowe's. It's all left over from renovating a house. I have no receipts besides these 5, what can we do?".
She didn't blink an eye! She just scanned everything, stuff that "beeped" she accepted, stuff that "booped" she stuck in a pile for me to take back to Lowe's. Some of the stuff was LITERALLY bought over 5 years ago in an entirely different state! She gave me an in-store credit of $464. I believe there were over 100 items, nicknacks like electrical switches and covers, bulbs, etc..

Lowe's did the same thing 30 min later.
My DIY/woodworking life has VASTLY improved since HD and Lowe's hit the scene. I hate to say it, but the "local store" just didn't even provide the barest basis of customer service I required, before the competition--they were not even open after 5pm, my prime buying hours!

Besides... how can you complain about having such a marvelous tool and hardware filled edifice always there to wander around in? ;)

John Gornall
06-26-2007, 1:03 AM
I know my way around lumber yards and hardware stores - my first job at 15 was in a hardware store and I worked my way through college in a lumberyard. Hardware, lumber and tools are my thing. When I'm in Home Depot I often help people by explaining to them what they need for a job and showing them where to find it in the store. I'm thinking about charging for my service. I watch all the frustrated faces waiting around trying to get someone in the store to help them and I'm sure they would give me a couple of bucks so they could get on with their lives. I suspect I could make 500 bucks on Sunday morning and be home for lunch. I wonder what Home Depot would think about a guy in a bright blue shirt reading "Hardware Store Advise - 5 dollars" - I'd actually be doing them a favour.

Of course if Home Depot had business sense they'd all ready have blue shirts in the store.

Dewayne Reding
06-26-2007, 7:07 AM
I made a purchase at HD just a while back. Like an idiot I left half my purchase somewhere near the register. Clerk did not secure my merchandise it and I did not realize it for a day or so. (Subsequent shopper likely got a bonus bag of router bits. When I finally called, they told me to come on in and tell them what was missing. Made it completely right. Probaby a local store policy, but I'll remember it.

Rob Bodenschatz
06-26-2007, 9:12 AM
I made a purchase at HD just a while back. Like an idiot I left half my purchase somewhere near the register. Clerk did not secure my merchandise it and I did not realize it for a day or so. (Subsequent shopper likely got a bonus bag of router bits. When I finally called, they told me to come on in and tell them what was missing. Made it completely right. Probaby a local store policy, but I'll remember it.

Doubt it is a store policy. Sounds like they went above & beyond. Good for them (& you).

Grant Wilkinson
06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
The thread about Home Depot in the US, and the recent declaration by the new US president is fascinating.
We have 4 or 5 HD in my city. Most of the staff are retired tradesman. So, in plumbing, you get a 60 or so year old plumber, etc. I've yet to have a BAD experience at any of them. Sure, there have been times when I thought that I waited too long for the panel cutter guy to arrive, but when he did, he helped unload and load my cart, and was friendly enough.
We don't have Lowes here, but I've been to the one in Ogdensburg NY and it is great. (Too bad that we can't get those prices in Canada.)
I agree with the many posters who have pointed out that it is us, the customers, who at least contributed to the issues under discussion. We want everything now and we want it cheap. With labour costs being what they are, at least in Canada, we cannot reasonably expect personal service and the prices we want. It's too bad, but that's life.
On the post that said that HD pushed a local hardware store out of business, I would simply reply, with respect, that HD cannot push anyone out of business. We do. We stop going to the local hardware store because he doesn't have 18 colours of whatever on the shelves, and the colours that he does have are more expensive than those at HD. Sure, he offers personal service and his kid plays hockey with your kid, but when all is said and done, we want INEXPENSIVE. We'll scream at HD when we don't get inexpensive and good service, but we won't pay more for the service and keep local guy in business.
I guess, sadly, in the final analysis, we get what we'll pay for.

Bruce Benjamin
06-26-2007, 11:32 AM

I had a similar experience. I was in HD with a friend of mine and we paid at the self-checkout stand. He paid for it, I picked up the merchandise and we left. He had forgot to get his change of about $3 from the machine. He didn't think of it until later that day but it wasn't a big deal for such a small amount. We were in there again 3 or 4 days later. He recognized the lady at the counter watching the self-checkout stands and mentioned it to her. She left and came back a couple of minutes later with his money wrapped in a note explaining what happened. THIS is just one reason why I don't think that letting a cashier undercharge you is a decent thing to do. Do unto others...Plus, if I did take advantage of a forgetful, stupid, or ignorant cashier, every time I looked at what I bought I'd feel like I stole it...Because I did! I'm glad you were treated right. It shows that there are still plenty of good people out there, even at HD.

Bruce

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2007, 11:45 AM
"I would simply reply, with respect, that HD cannot push anyone out of business. We do. We stop going to the local hardware store..."

Well I didn't. I went to HD once and then, only after the local went under. The same thing happened to the local office supply store after Staples moved into town. And to the local pharmacy after Longs, Rite-Aid and Wallgreen all moved into town along with their "line of baby ducks" of satellite chain stores that had the same effect on many other small local businesses...book stores, coffee shops, etc. Don't kid yourself. These guys are out for blood. And the ones who "scream at HD when we don't get inexpensive and good service, but...won't pay more for the service and keep local guy in business" are fools. Every time this happens, our diversity and our options are reduced. After that, why should a store like HD or WalMart give a hoot if you are "happy". You either buy their cheap crap or do without. They know damn well you got no where else to go.

Chuck Lenz
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Well lets see. I worked IN a hardware store for a year recently, I actually had to wait on customers and figure out what it was they exactly were looking for, sometimes with little information from the customer, stock shelves, do price checks, unload semi's, run a fork lift, cut chain, rope, cable, foam, fabric, rubber matting, keep the warehouse and back yard picked up and organized, run the till, mop the floor, clean the bathrooms, etc . I've been to a lumber yard to buy lumber and other materials plenty of times, I've been a woodworker for over 30 years.

David Cramer
06-26-2007, 1:23 PM
I ain't (is ain't a word?) argueing with you Chuck, but my friend currently makes over $18 per hour (the last time I talked to him) at Home Depot after 6 years of service. Yes, $18/hour, believe it or not. He works on the floor too, and he's not a manager.

I am not claiming that it is a lot or a little, but that's what he makes. It depends on the region, size of the store, timing (are they hard up to hire), etc.........the list goes on and on. It's not set in stone and yes, being competent in certain areas helps.

That doesn't mean they should have to take crap from people, regardless of what they make. I did the same thing at Builder's Square years ago and almost came to blows with one guy (a customer) in 2 and 1/2 years of working there. I don't try to throw my weight around, but after awhile you get awful tired of the arrogant, rude, blankholes that you have to deal with.
Why? Because I wasn't fast enough and was literally running from electrical to hardware/power tools and back on the phone trying to get a fan for a lady all at the same time. I am competent (not a genius) in both areas that I work, but you can never satisfy everyone and that one customer actually said "come on, throw one" to me. People never cease to amaze me. I was only part-time working 5-9pm 4 days a week and every Sunday 8 hours. It was my son's 3rd birthday that day and I was in a good mood. Translation: He was lucky I didn't take him up on his request/offer to meet him in the parking lot after work. My manager gave him the boot and told him if he saw him in the parking lot, he was going to call the police. The guy was looking for a lawsuit in my opinion.

I realize that this is not the original poster's question and I apologize to him for going off base, but I thought I'd respond to a poster or two.

Dave (very easy going fun loving Dave who does not look for problems)

p.s. There is always (almost always) another side to the coin.

Chuck Lenz
06-26-2007, 2:40 PM
David, I know EXACTLY where you are comeing from. It's one of the reasons I'm there no longer. The job and the customers burned me out and certainly wasn't worth what they were paying. I have had some tough jobs in my life, like being a meat cutter for 17 years, over half of those years were in packing houses. I would of never guessed retail hardware would be that stressfull. When I started I thought it would be a fun job to help people with what I knew. WRONG ! I don't remember as many customers being that rude in the early 90's when I worked in a meat market for 7 years as they are now. $18 an hour seems a little hard to beleive in retail not being any kind of management, but I guess it depends on what area of the country he is in, and he may be geting a commission or bonuses. In California or New York you may need that wage just to barely stay afloat, or he's fibbin ya. Hard to say. All I know is I hope I never have to go back to retail.

Ronald Seto
06-26-2007, 2:44 PM
I have been a Costco member for over 17 years
Gary K.
I am a charter member of Costco ever since it opened around 1960? outside of Boston. There is no Costco near me. If I come across one in my travels, I wonder if they will honor my card. It was supposed to be good forever. BTW, the worst thing about HD is their self service checkout machines. Everyone I speak to say the same thing. It's a shame because they carry some pretty good products that Lowes doesn't.

Zahid Naqvi
06-26-2007, 4:41 PM
Guys, let's keep any personal attacks and references out of this thread or we may have to lock it down. If you find a post objectionable please bring it to the attention of the moderators and let us take care of it. Engaging in confrontation makes you equally responsible.

Bob Feeser
06-26-2007, 6:55 PM
Locally, in Southeastern PA, Home Depot opened with the shelves stocked, friendly courteous "knowledgable" people eager to wait on you. No matter what the project was, their was a skilled tradesman in every department, who knew their stuff and was ready to help you.
The prices blew me away. I went into a building supply in a local town, and was pricing, a large bag of tile cement, and it was 9 plus dollars, then I went into HD, and the same exact bag of cement, manufacturer and all was only 5 bucks. I don't know about you, but that adds up after a while.
Then they got big, and the stock holders demanded more profits, and it started to decay. Locally, on top of profit concerns, they also took the skilled guys, and everyone, and demanded that they go on split shifts, so they could be open 24 hours per day. The pay was good, the store was clean, but seasoned pro's would rather work an 8 to 5, rather than having to work the next night on the midnight shift to 8 am. So they left. What replaced them were for the most part were "lesser" skilled people.
As far as their return policy, I am still amazed that I can go back in the store with something I purchased 2 years ago, in resaleable condition, without a receipt, and get a store credit.
Some of their sale items, are loosely categorized, and because of that, I got a bunch of Bessey clamps for a very good price. The sale sign for hand tools was parked right on the Bessey's so they honored the discount, even though they were not part of the sale. I want you to understand something, I am not one of those guys who beats people up, and then tries to take advantage of them. I spoke very nicely to one of the managers, and he gave me the discount. Another time, I got a Milwaukee saw that they had advertised a large manufacturers rebate on in one of their flyers, with the rebate banner sitting right on the saw, and when Milwaukee refused my rebate, they gave my credit card a credit for the difference. All told I wound up paying 105 bucks for a $180+ reciprocator.
So here are some of my feelings about the current state of Home Depot.
It takes a while to get help, sometimes you can stand their for a long time waiting for someone. (That reminds me: One time I wanted to get a piece of lumber cut in half for transport, and I knew the code to the big Delta Radial saw, cause I go in there so much, and I said to the guy next to me, I know the code, what should I do after waiting what seemed like a half hour to get it cut, and he replied, "What are they going to do, throw you in jail? :D I waited anyhow, and finally dug someone out. )
Eh, I will continue to use them for their prices, and convenience. They opened up a new one so close to where I live, I can just about walk there. I just wish it was the same way it was when it first opened. On the other hand, going back to a time when life was a bit less hectic, and the corner hardware store had people in it that were as much a friend of yours as a knowledgable person to get you what you need is something worth paying a little more for. I feel bad for the loss of any store that the big conglomerates put out of business. So Dave D. I understand what you are saying.

paul ashman
06-26-2007, 9:10 PM
I was in my local HD today, they must have been having a corporate visit, because thare were more employees in the store than I have ever seen before, along with some obvious executive types walking around in a pack. When I passed buy one of then asked if I was having a nice day and if I found everything that I needed, "no" I replied, they did not have the sized poplar I wanted. They shifted into high gear, 4 HD bigwigs leading me to the lumber that I knew was not there. When they finally agreed that it was not there I said, "no problem, I'll go across the street to Lowes. I turned on my heels and left them slack-jawed and went to Lowes, and found what I wanted, but had to wait for a cashier.

Bruce Benjamin
06-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I've seen people complain in these HD type of threads that the Borg type of stores, (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Etc.) put the little guys out of business. The lumber yard/home center I work in has about 15 stores in the west, mostly in California. I think they still have the original store back east somewhere too. They've grown slowly but steadily and there are currently 2 of them in my town. There's no doubt that they have hurt some of the small local hardware stores right along with Home Depot and Lowes. When the store I work in opened about 6 months ago we hurt the business of another smaller local chain a few miles away. They are now laying off about a dozen employees. We are hiring a few of them and expanding our hours. We certainly aren't really putting the squeeze on HD or Lowes but we have hurt the business of Ace and True Value stores and a couple of others.

So, because we keep growing, shouldn't a store of this size be demonized along with the Borgs? Should we have our growth limited so we don't hurt any of the other smaller stores? Should the customers who used to shop here when the company was smaller stop shopping with us? Didn't the Borgs start small too? I'll bet that the guy who owns our company would love to have 500 or 1000 stores some day. He just may have that someday too. If you started small and were successful wouldn't you want to keep growing? Mr. ---- has a bundle of money now and he's earned it. What's wrong with that? It's called capitalism. He doesn't steal from people. He doesn't cheat people. He works hard and runs a good business and it payed off. What's wrong with that? Where should the limit be? Would you Borg haters be happier if they closed most of their stores so that they wouldn't run the smaller, less successful businesses out? I really don't understand this way of thinking.

How many of you have bought cars from a company with only a few employees and one small address? You bought them from huge corporations. But there used to be many smaller companies. Those smaller companies would've loved to have grown into huge companies but they just didn't have the talent. I believe that hating and complaining about Borg style stores' domination of the market is anti-capitalism.

I understand that there are other reasons to dislike Borg stores, such as the poor service that some provide or the low wages some provide. But that's a different story than hating them for putting less successful stores out of business.

Bruce

Bob Feeser
06-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Locally, even though we are inundated with Homes Depots and Lowes, we have a supply store that gets the things that the big stores don't. Namely wood in thicknesses, and types that they don't carry. (I buy everything directly from sawyers now) It doesn't do me much good to go in and pick out a piece of oak, that is already 3/4" of an inch thick at Home Depot, that has sit on the shelf, gained a twist or two, and at 3/4" leaves me no room to joint, or plane it out. Additionally, wood freshly planed, reveals subtle colors, that are beautifully brought up with clear finishes, whereas boards sitting open to the air, lose their beauty. It takes some serious sanding to go deep enough to get through that.
This local specialty store, also carries window grades that are not the special built extra cheap varieties of the big stores.
I was recently speaking to a neighbor who for years has a window and door store, and he says, that he is forever changing windows in new or recently built homes, with Home Depot grade windows, and we are talking about the 2 big names, that the hardware inevitably fails on, and they are forced to replace the entire window. Imagine buying a hgh end home, only to have to replace your windows in the first 3 to 5 years. (PS: The major consumer reporting agency rated Marvin the best, which as far as I know is not carried by the larger stores mentioned here)
These are just a few examples. I think each has their place, and I don't mind paying a premium price for quality items at the specialty store that I can't get at HD.
Meanwhile, I am hauling a load of material tomorrow for my brother who is doing a bathroom conversion for a customer, and where am I going to get it? Home Depot of course. :eek: Make up your mind. :confused:

steve fleischmann
06-27-2007, 8:47 AM
Was the card a debit card or a credit card. If it's a debit card cash refund is the norm. If it was a credit card they give back a credit. If they give back cash the cc issuer thinks people are trying to get a cash advance, which they charge a higher rate for. Unfortunately this is an example where a bad apple spoils it for the honest/legit consumer.

Steve

Marty Rose
06-27-2007, 9:12 AM
I can not believe the HD would do such a thing. What would all of us NASCAR fans do without that famous ORANGE CAR
TURNING LEFT,TURNING LEFT,TURNING LEFT,TURNING LEFT?http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Richard Niemiec
06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I think the frustration stems more from the fact that we have all bought into and have inbedded into our brains the original marketing rationale of the "big box" retailer, e.g., vast inventory, low prices, one-stop shopping and customer service. I recall that the first HD I went into bowled me over with the breadth of inventory and price points of product, along with the staff who were willing to help and had some specialized knowledge. The smaller yards and Ace/True Value or local mom and pop stores simply could not compete with the promise of the big box, or should I more correctly say, the perceived promise of the marketing rationale.

Now, when consumers like us go into a HD we expect the original rationale to be a compelling reality, and we get angry when we have a project and the stainless steel flurbul with a flared flange in the "normal" 4 3/4" size is out of stock, nobody in the flurbul department is there to help, and when you do find somebody they never heard of a flurbul, much less where you might find one in the morass of product, but they say they can special order it for an additional $7.50 fee. So much for the vast inventory, low price, customer service, and now to boot you have to start thumbing through the yellow pages to find a store that is still open that stocks flurbuls before you can go home and start the project.

HD has simply failed to deliver on their original premise, lost its way, pinches pennies on staff and jerk staff around with the crazy "flex" hours they make you work, which does little for employee retention. I've been through 4 different electrical "managers" in 2 years in my local HD. In my experience, Lowes seems to get it done a bit better than HD, but they still have a way to go as well.

As far as the small retailers, well, the same thing happened in the supermarket business and guess what, the old model of their business did not work anymore and they did not adapt to the market change. What happens, well, how about niche retailers, such as Pantera bread stores, Dunkin Donuts, specialty meat, vegetable, etc. And what do they do, they offer a more limited inventory, higher quality, and better service in the specialty area. As far as hardware stores are concerned, I have a treasure of a small local store, independent, called Hunterdon Mill Supply, which has specialized in hardware, abrasives, welding and a whole lot of other stuff you can't find in the Borg, and while you can find a pest sprayer there, they only have one in stock and its there when somebody really needs it. But if you need any type of nut, bolt, screw, or amazingly, screw-on points for a dial indicator, guess what, they got it. The only thing I can recall I went there for and did not get was a reverse thread, brass, arbor nut for a 50 year old Dewalt RAS, and while they could match the very fine threading on the nut, in brass no less, it was the reverse thread that stumped them. I don't think they are going out of business anytime soon. Bruce's example seems to be of the same ilk, e.g., someone who is a good businessperson, runs his shop efficiently and profitably, and fills gaps in the big box inventory and customer service failures. If you do that, people will come, they will most surely come.

On the other hand, we did lose a local ACE Hardware, which frankly was disorganized, had a lousy physical location, was poorly managed (for example 3 year old cans of Shellac in inventory) and often did not have many of the things I would go there for, and I always tried to stop by first, paying a little extra just to have the convenience of driving only 2 miles versus 7 miles to the Borg. The ACE did have a knowledgable staff, but ultimately did not adapt, continuing the old business model that relied more on "we're the only game in town" which was true for a while, but ultimately the organization was weak, the business model ossified and it failed. That's capitalism, for better or worse. But many have shown over the years that you can beat the big box promise with niche specialties and better customer service.

Sorry for the diatribe, but the bottom line is when HD loses enough market share in a given store, they will wake up and make improvements.

RN

<snip>
So, because we keep growing, shouldn't a store of this size be demonized along with the Borgs? Should we have our growth limited so we don't hurt any of the other smaller stores? Should the customers who used to shop here when the company was smaller stop shopping with us? Didn't the Borgs start small too? I'll bet that the guy who owns our company would love to have 500 or 1000 stores some day. He just may have that someday too. If you started small and were successful wouldn't you want to keep growing? Mr. ---- has a bundle of money now and he's earned it. What's wrong with that? It's called capitalism. He doesn't steal from people. He doesn't cheat people. He works hard and runs a good business and it payed off. What's wrong with that? Where should the limit be? Would you Borg haters be happier if they closed most of their stores so that they wouldn't run the smaller, less successful businesses out? I really don't understand this way of thinking.

>snip>
Bruce