PDA

View Full Version : Cradle Construction question

Robert Goodwin
01-13-2004, 12:38 PM
I am building a cradle for a friend of ours for a baby shower gift. The cradle assembly is nearing completion, and the base will be started next. I am looking for different approaches for how to attach the cradle to the base. The base will break down for storage. Initially I was thinking of just a couple of beefy dowel rods that extend from each side of the base unit into the cradle, but the recent FWW readers gallery showed a cradle with a metal swing mechanism that looked nice. I have searched, but apparently do not know the correct string to use for google. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

Roger Fitzsimonds
01-13-2004, 1:03 PM
Hi Robert,

I would expect the glider swing hardware would be adaptable. Lee Valley and Woodcraft have these in their catalogs.

Good Luck
Roger

Randy Gleckler
01-13-2004, 1:12 PM
Robert,

I've just completed the cradle for my son (expected in a month). When looking around the best ones I found were at Lee Valley or Rocklers. They were both for the Glider chairs but looked like they would work. I ultimatley went with the dowell anyway. As another idea there's a shop here locally that had a good idea. They Put a u style opening at the top of the legs with a dowell in the cradle to swing on. The reason the tops of the legs were open is so that after you were done with the cradle they had a seperate piece that slid in and made the base a quilt rack. I thought that looked like it would work great. Hope this helps.

Randy

Robert Goodwin
01-13-2004, 1:19 PM
Robert,

I've just completed the cradle for my son (expected in a month). When looking around the best ones I found were at Lee Valley or Rocklers. They were both for the Glider chairs but looked like they would work. I ultimatley went with the dowell anyway. As another idea there's a shop here locally that had a good idea. They Put a u style opening at the top of the legs with a dowell in the cradle to swing on. The reason the tops of the legs were open is so that after you were done with the cradle they had a seperate piece that slid in and made the base a quilt rack. I thought that looked like it would work great. Hope this helps.

Randy

Great Idea on the quilt rack. Now that I think of it, my base design looks like a quilt rack. HMMM.

Rob

Robert Goodwin
01-13-2004, 1:21 PM
Hi Robert,

I would expect the glider swing hardware would be adaptable. Lee Valley and Woodcraft have these in their catalogs.

Good Luck
Roger

Yup, that was what I had in mind, Thanks

Rob