PDA

View Full Version : Accent Table Progress Pics

Scott Coffelt
01-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I have started and I am about a little over 1/2 way completed with a table. Also known as a couch table, but I will actually have it displayed by itself. The Base is Oak, which I will spray with black lacquer. The table supports are Purple Heart and the top will be Birdseye Maple. I am thinking about also inlaying some Birdseye in the bottom shelf.

It is currently just dry fitted. I have some more finishe sanding and touch-ups to do and milling the top.

Robert Goodwin
01-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Good-looking table. I like how the tabletop will appear to be floating above the leg assembly. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

Rob

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Scott
Very nice design.
It will be beautiful
Daniel

Rick Haigh
01-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Scott,
Your table is beautiful. Can you explain how you decided on the design? It always amazes me how creative woodworkers are. I can follow most plans, but when I try to do my own thing, it just never seems to hit the mark.

Thanks,
Rick

Keith Starosta
01-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Scott,
I have a design question for you. Will those be through tenons on the top? I'm not sure how the purple heart will look matched with the birds eye (only because I've never seen the two together), but that would be interesting...

Keith

Scott Coffelt
01-13-2004, 2:22 PM
Design:

At times I have trouble with designs, but every once in awhile they come to me. Often, it triggered by seeing something else that has been done. This design was just something that came from a idea drawing session, I am sure sub-consciously it was something that I saw somewhere. I just grab a pad of paper and start drawing ideas down, most don't make it others get produced.

Purple Heart and Birdseye:

I have seen it several times, since the Purple Heart really has no special fgure to it, the only thing you get is the purple/brown color against the white color of the Maple. It looks pretty nice. I was surprised how well the Oak and Purple Heart look together. I also plan to add Ebony wedges through the Purple Heart tendons. It will tie all the colors together. In this case everything is breaking new ground for me as I have not built any prototypes.

I hope it all works out in the end...

Keith Starosta
01-13-2004, 2:35 PM
Well, if the rest of the project continues the way it has so far (from my perspective), you should be just fine. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Keith

Jim Becker
01-13-2004, 4:14 PM
Now, that's a sharp design, Scott! I really like the floating top and the sweep of the legs...this is going to stand out as a work of art, besides its obvious function.

James Carpenter
01-13-2004, 5:29 PM
That is very sharp - I'm like Rick, give me a plan any day but ask me to make the design and you'll end up with squash.

Don Abele
01-13-2004, 5:44 PM
Scott, even unfinished that looks beautiful. I love the flowing, graceful lines. You guys are becoming very artistic in your work. Me? I'll just copy your ideas and plans. Like others have said, I work great from plans, but my own designs are not close to what you guys have been doing. Thanks for sharing.

Be well,

Doc

Dick Parr
01-13-2004, 7:47 PM
Very Nice Scott. Can't wait to see the finished table.

Mark Bachler
01-13-2004, 7:54 PM
I think the contrast in woods on the top with the space between the legs and the top will be awesome.

Eric Naessens
01-14-2004, 4:09 PM
Great looking piece, Scott. As you said, the purpleheart and oak go quite well together, and I'm sure that the maple top will look stunning. I'm in the planning stages of a coffee table/end tables project for my wife, and may have to think long and hard about an oak/purpleheart design. Thanks for posting the pics, and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Chris Padilla
01-14-2004, 4:41 PM
I love it! Very inspirational!

The shape of the Purpleheart supports is very cool...highly geometircal. I keep thinking about bridges for some reason. :)

The sweep of the legs gives me the feeling of the top looking like it is being pushed up so that it almost floats on the supports. Neat effect!

I look forward to the top design. What design do you have for the top save the birdseye maple figure? Any details? How thick?

Personally, I'd try and blend the bottom shelf a bit with the legs. Your eye really wants to be drawn up the legs to the supports and "floating" top. My two cents.

Scott Coffelt
01-14-2004, 6:07 PM
"Personally, I'd try and blend the bottom shelf a bit with the legs. Your eye really wants to be drawn up the legs to the supports and "floating" top. My two cents."

I am not following you, I would be more interested in what you are thinking. At first I was planning on not having a lower shelf, but then decided it would keep the legs from any warping down the road.

I chiseled in angled dados for the shelf, so I am pretty much stuck with that, but I am still open to any ideas. I think once the toip gets on and the base is painted black, the legs and shelf may drift into the back and the nice clear (natural) top will pop out. I was also thinking last night that I may want to cut some Maple keys for the Purple Heart tendons on the side to draw attention to that detail. I do have some concerns that the Purple will blend with the black, but then again I am also looking for some subtle things that require a studying eye to pick up. Kind of the artsey thing.

The top is currently planned to be slightly oval in nature. More so a bigger top than has the ends and sides with slight curves towards the corners, and opposite of the shelf. It will be about 6" longer than the base and about 4" wider. I was planning on using 3/4" thick Birdseye Maple. I have found some nice pieces that I think will mill up to where the seams are almost invisible. I spent about an hour in the store just grabbing pieces and checking for a match and of course being straight. What's hard to see is the shelf curves mirror the cross supports. Then I was thinking of bevelling the underside of the top about 2-3 inches down to about 1/2" thick I think will also add to the look. Again, I am kind of using this as a developmental piece while I go along. i am not one to build a prototype out of cheap wood. So sometimes I hit a home run and other times, well not.

I did make paterns for evey piece so far, so if I have aneed down the road to reproduce or even make a change, the patterns will allow for ease of doing it. I am thinking of building a consignment piece for a realtor and my interior designer. the designer is due to visit in about 2 weeks so I need to get this wrapped up.

I was thinking this piece would look awesome with the base out of Wenge and not sure of the top or support yet.

Chris Padilla
01-14-2004, 8:40 PM
"Personally, I'd try and blend the bottom shelf a bit with the legs. Your eye really wants to be drawn up the legs to the supports and "floating" top. My two cents."

I am not following you, I would be more interested in what you are thinking. At first I was planning on not having a lower shelf, but then decided it would keep the legs from any warping down the road....

To my eyes, your piece "celebrates" a definite upward movement. One starts at the almost sultry (curvy) legs and, perhaps being a guy, one's eyes start to naturally drift upwards. I find the center shelf or bottom shelf to somewhat disrupt that flow but not too badly. That is why I was thinking that if you are putting black lacquer on the base...the legs, that you should also black lacquer the shelf so it blends a bit more and doesn't distract.

Frankly, I don't think I'd put such a dark color on the base...it time, the purpleheart will darken and tend to blend. I love the natural color of the oak with the darker Purpleheart and the use of the even lighter/whiter maple top will be awesome!

Since all 3 levels (legs, support, top) have their own personalities or characteristics, you don't want to blend them away, I think.

For the bottom board, I am not sure what to tell you. Perhaps it should be made from some clearer wood? Maybe some Poplar stained to flow with the oak? Ash might be a good choice, too, or some really white maple. Or, go the opposite way and make it out of something wild like mesquite or bloodwood. I don't know why, but I see something orangish/redish there if you wish to make it look really different so as not to mess with the 3 levels you have now. Perhaps some mahagony?? Perhaps dump it???? :D

Scott Coffelt
01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the input, I will mull on it. My wife really likes the Oak and Purple Heart together. Once I get the top finished, I will shoot another pic before I do any finishing. i glued up the pieces tonight. I'll begin laying out a pattern tomorrow if I can get shop time or it will get pushed to Friday night.

I was trying to match up with the color scheme of the room, but adding another reddish color is possible. I had thoughts of a Bubinga top originally, but not sure I wanted it in the room and went the Black and Maple route.

As far as if I go the black route, I has planned on the shelf being black as well. There was a thought of a Maple inlay, but I have since abondoned that idea.

Thanks again for the input.

Bob Lasley
01-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Scott,

That is going to be one beautiful table. I too, like the look of the purpleheard and oak together, but by all means, go with what you and the Mrs. likes. I really like the looks of your joinery on this piece. Looking forward to more pics.

Bob

Rob Bourgeois
01-15-2004, 3:12 PM
Hey scott...

Like you said somewhere in you mind you saw something like your design. I think I might have found it.

http://r-gjones.laof.home.att.net/halltable4-large.html

Looks like your but different. I actually think I like your better with purple heart through tenons.

Nice table. A hall table is on my To do List.

Chris Padilla
01-15-2004, 3:31 PM
Hey scott...

Like you said somewhere in you mind you saw something like your design. I think I might have found it.

http://r-gjones.laof.home.att.net/halltable4-large.html

Looks like your but different. I actually think I like your better with purple heart through tenons.

Nice table. A hall table is on my To do List.
Rob,

Good catch! I agree with you. That table, while gorgeous, looks very fragile to my eyes. Scott's design has more beef yet, somehow, appears more graceful to me.

Scott Coffelt
01-15-2004, 4:13 PM
great minds think alike. I like that table. Has neat lines. Thanks for sharing.

Scott Coffelt
01-15-2004, 4:14 PM
I do like the double keys on the side.

Thomas Walker
01-16-2004, 1:45 AM
Beautiful!

The curves on the top sound like a great match since everything else is curved, and an interesting contrast to the lower shelf that curves inward.

It's interesting that you mentioned prototyping. I read an article written by one of the great masters (maloof??) where he said that he would only sketch out a basic design and then start building prototypes, first with cardboard, and then with pine. It sounded like a lot of work, but it's how he created museum quality work.

Adan Madrid
01-16-2004, 2:20 AM
I have started and I am about a little over 1/2 way completed with a table. Also known as a couch table, but I will actually have it displayed by itself. The Base is Oak, which I will spray with black lacquer. The table supports are Purple Heart and the top will be Birdseye Maple. I am thinking about also inlaying some Birdseye in the bottom shelf.

It is currently just dry fitted. I have some more finishe sanding and touch-ups to do and milling the top.

Scott,

Nice Table! Can't wait to see the finish product.

Jeff Skory
02-08-2004, 1:47 AM
Scott,

Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the top on and then with whatever finish you select. Keep those original ideas and projects flowing.

Jeff