PDA

View Full Version : Cherry table progress

Larry Crim
06-24-2007, 4:19 PM
Here are some Pics of my Table I finally got back to work on it after I lost a little interest and other projects took priority of my time.
I owe a lot of thanks to the Mark Singer, Bill Arnold and all the members that gave me advice especially in regards to making the curved apron. I have not installed the aprons yet in these pics but I have them you can see one in the second pic and I also have a 17 inch insert that is done but still have to install the alignment pins. I am thinking of a BLO finish with rock hard table finish for the clear coat, I was going to tint a few areas to help the color match but I think I am just going to let it age and darken naturally.
Thanks for looking and as usual all criticism is welcome good or bad.
Larry

Charles Jackson III
06-24-2007, 5:38 PM
Very nice work, Larry.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-24-2007, 7:28 PM
Larry...that looks great. Did you make the pedestal base? If so, could you describe how you did it?

I don't think the light sections will darken if they are sapwood (hard to tell from the picture). At least, this is my experience. Over time the heartwood will become darker and more contrasting. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I guess it depends on the look you're after. If it's all just varying shades of heartwood, it will probably blend over time.

Again...that's a handsome table! Well done! And be sure to post pics when you're done.

-Jeff :)

Larry Crim
06-24-2007, 7:52 PM
Thanks Jeff
there is very little sapwood some small slivers, the light areas in the pic are areas that were close to sapwood but not quite all sapwood. I am not a very adept finisher so I might just use a cherry stain on the entire table to even out the color.
I did do the pedestals they were made from 10/4 cherry cut at a angle and then glued up into a octagon, then turned, there is a tenon on the top and bottom that goes into the base and extension slide support with a 1/2" rod of allthread securing the base, pedestal and slide support. The base is almost 2 inches thick and the silde base is 2 pieces of 3/4 BB, the Table top is 66" long and 47.5" wide with the insert it will be about 82" long, it is a lot more stable than I thought it would be.
Thanks
Larry

Pat Germain
06-24-2007, 8:07 PM
Very sharp table, Larry. Personally, I think what many people would call "uneven" color looks great. It sets it very far apart from imitation laminates. Dollars to doughnuts, once you put the varnish on that cherry will glow like the light of early dawn. :cool:

Are you going to shape the table edges? I think it looks fine the way it is, but most people put some kind of pattern on the edge. I was just wondering.

Larry Crim
06-24-2007, 8:45 PM
Yes I have a bit on order for the edge, I had one I was going to use but It's a little dull and I wanted a good clean sharp bit for this since there will be so much endgrain to cut and the one I have is a little more like a raised panel bit so got one coming that has a little more curve to it. I have already contoured the aprons and the bit coming will be a good compliment to the apron.
Larry

Here are some pics of the apron

Very sharp table, Larry. Personally, I think what many people would call "uneven" color looks great. It sets it very far apart from imitation laminates. Dollars to doughnuts, once you put the varnish on that cherry will glow like the light of early dawn. :cool:

Are you going to shape the table edges? I think it looks fine the way it is, but most people put some kind of pattern on the edge. I was just wondering.

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 9:27 PM
That's come along really nicely, Larry!!!

Oh, that that shot of the end profile for the apron is great...very instructive on how you got the profile without breaking through the layers! Nice!

Roy Wall
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Larry,

That table is looking VERY nice.......the aprons and finish will make it a KNOCKOUT for sure.....great work!

Don Bullock
06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Larry, your table is fantastic!! It really looks great. I don't think that you need to add any color by using stain. Differences in the color of the wood are very natural. I agree with Pat...

I think what many people would call "uneven" color looks great.
You sure have built a table that you can be proud of for many years to come. Congratulations on a job well done.