PDA

View Full Version : Gas/diesel mix

Ronald Seto
06-24-2007, 1:34 PM
I have about 20 gallons of a gas/diesel mix. It was syphoned out of a diesel truck that mistakenly was filled with gasoline. I don't know what to do with it. The local hazardous waste site wants 25$ to dispose of it. Is there any use I can put this mix to other than starting fires? I'm guessing it's a 10:1 mix of gas to diesel. I tried it in my lawn tractor, and it wouldn't run.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-24-2007, 8:44 PM
I tried it in my lawn tractor, and it wouldn't run.

Well, get it out of your lawn tractor.

Who ever made the mistake should have picked up the tab lock stock and barrel. Prolly it's not too late to have 'em do it.

Ian Abraham
06-24-2007, 9:33 PM
You could probably get away with diluting it with more petrol, but thats a pain. And if you clog up a fuel filter or set of spark plugs you are out more than the $25 disposal fee :(

I suggest you burn it... carefully :eek:

Ian

Pat Germain
06-24-2007, 9:44 PM
Boy, talk about the worst of two worlds. I'd say save yourself $25 and burn it, albeit carefully. Remember, gasoline really isn't designed to burn, it's designed to explode and it does this quite readily and quite well. I'm not petroleum engineer, but it's possible the diesel would make the gasoline more volatile.

Jason Roehl
06-24-2007, 9:56 PM
Diesel is much less volatile than gas. I'd guess it would make the gas LESS volatile, not more.

If it's a ~10:1 of gas to diesel, then I'd say just put a gallon or two of it at a time in your vehicle shortly after you fill up. A small amount of diesel in a gasoline engine can actually act like injector or carburetor cleaner and help lubricate some of your fuel system parts. Don't waste it by burning it off--that would take a long time to do safely anyway. I burned about a 1/2 gallon of gas one time by putting it in a paint can and lighting it. It probably burned for a good hour or more--very slowly. I think the lip of the can helped keep the fumes from spreading, thus controlling the flame.

Ronald Seto
06-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Well, get it out of your lawn tractor.

Who ever made the mistake should have picked up the tab lock stock and barrel. Prolly it's not too late to have 'em do it.

Actually it was my son who filled up his diesel truck with gasoline. We syphoned it out of his tank into jerry cans, with the intention of using it in the garden tractor, chain saw, weed eater, etc. It is now out of the tractor and it is working fine now with clean gasoline.

Brian Kent
06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
How much does burn cream and bandages cost in your area. I'd go for the $25.

Besides, I come from a city in Southern California, and I am just trying to picture the size of the fine if I tried to burn 20 gallons of anything.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-25-2007, 1:34 PM
Actually it was my son who filled up his diesel truck with gasoline. .

Ahh well so much for sticking the guy who did it with the problem.

I can't think of a good way to use the stuff. I'd be afraid of adding it to the fuel oil tank too for fear that the gasoline might not bond entirely to the oil & come out of solution as a vapor and make for a very dangerous situation in the tank..

How about selling it on E---BAAAAYYYYY

David Epperson
06-25-2007, 2:06 PM
Diesel is much less volatile than gas. I'd guess it would make the gas LESS volatile, not more.

If it's a ~10:1 of gas to diesel, then I'd say just put a gallon or two of it at a time in your vehicle shortly after you fill up. A small amount of diesel in a gasoline engine can actually act like injector or carburetor cleaner and help lubricate some of your fuel system parts.
I would tend to agree with Jason on this. Since diesel is just slightly unrefined kerosene.

Al Wasser
06-25-2007, 4:04 PM
Since I don't know where you live, this is a long shot...... If you are anywhere near a US Forest Service or BLM office, give them a call. A gasoline/diesel mix is used in drip torches to set prescribed fires and in back firing. They would probably take it

Steve Clardy
06-25-2007, 4:39 PM

If it's a ~10:1 of gas to diesel, then I'd say just put a gallon or two of it at a time in your vehicle shortly after you fill up. A small amount of diesel in a gasoline engine can actually act like injector or carburetor cleaner and help lubricate some of your fuel system parts. Don't waste it by burning it off--that would take a long time to do safely anyway. I burned about a 1/2 gallon of gas one time by putting it in a paint can and lighting it. It probably burned for a good hour or more--very slowly. I think the lip of the can helped keep the fumes from spreading, thus controlling the flame.

Ditto.............