PDA

View Full Version : Any painters out there?

David Klug
01-13-2004, 11:14 AM
I have several partial cans of paint that are various shades of white. They are different brands of acrylic latex and I would like to mix them together so I have enough to paint two bathrooms and hallway. Are there any problems mixing different brands of paint together? TIA.

DK

Mike Evertsen
01-14-2004, 1:01 AM
no problem mixing paint until if you need to match it,,,,
my dad took 15 or more gallons of paint (different colors flat gloss semi gloss)mixed it up in the a big drum came out this green yellow ish color to paint his machine shop,,,,,

John Miliunas
01-14-2004, 9:11 AM
Have at it, Dave! LOML does that *all* the time. She's constantly decorating/re-decorating and will often buy wrong color-matched gallons at the Big Box or similar and then add in some of her own left-over white (or whatever) to come up with enough to do a room. Works fine from what we can tell. Good way to save a few bucks, 'cuz that paint is expensive! :cool:

Phil Phelps
01-15-2004, 5:30 PM
...One brand is not the same as another. Same products, maybe, but there are big differences in quality from one brand to the other. Sheens matter, too.

Chris Padilla
01-15-2004, 8:11 PM
Interesting...seems to be the economical thing to do. I suppose as long as you are happy with the final color, what the heck. You might paint a scrap piece of drywall first to make sure it turns out all right but I would think, more or less, that all latex paint is bascially the same.

My father takes old paint and mixes it all up and uses it to paint the end grain of wood he dries in the back yard.