PDA

View Full Version : bench top drill press - clean it?

Robert Trotter
06-24-2007, 9:52 AM
I am a neandre...New to tailed toys except for a cordless drill (and that has no tail by the way:D ) and a new mitre saw for building my shed. I just got a new bench top drill press and I was wondering if I should clean all the factory grease and protective gunk off or just leave it on the upright pole (for want of the correct term)?

If I clean it all off, should I regrease it and the teeth for the gears to raise and lower the table or should I use something like boeshield?

Also when I seat the chuck on the spindle should the two mating surfaces be thoughly clean and dry or have some protective coating on them (intuitions says to clean them up and have clean, oil free surfaces, but I thought I'd ask just in case)

Anything else to check for or do before setting it up and using it?

Thanks for any help.
Robert

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 9:55 AM
Clean it off, Robert...the Cosmoline is sticky stuff and you don't want to get it on your projects nor have it collect extra dust. If you choose to relubricate the column and rack, use a dry lube so you also don't attract dust.

The taper (both the male and female) should be absolutely clean. No coatings. No moisture. No dirt. They stay together by their precise fit.