PDA

View Full Version : Apricot tree help needed

Rick Potter
06-24-2007, 1:11 AM
Boy, is this off topic. I moved in a year and a half ago, and have an apricot, a pear, a peach, and an almond tree. Last year, just when the fruit on the trees was getting ripe, the birds wiped them out, eating a little of this one, and a little of that one.

This year I would like to eat some of it myself. Back when my parents lived in the house Dad woud put a net over the tree, but now it is too large for that. My question is: Can you pick the apricots, pears, and peaches before they are ripe, and somehow let them ripen in the house?? If so, when do you pick the fruit, and how do you store it to ripen??

Thank you,

Rick Potter

Joe Mioux
06-24-2007, 1:17 AM
Fruit always tastes sweeter when left to ripen on the vine.

Try hanging aluminum pie plates or an inflatable Owl in the trees.

Joe Pelonio
06-24-2007, 3:16 AM
My experience is that pears can be picked when the stem breaks if they are lifted. They can then ripen the rest of the way inside and taste OK. All of the others do have to become fully ripe on the tree or will lose flavor.

As for the birds, don't ask me, I'm still trying to keep squirrels from getting my fruit.

Rick Potter
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
OK, I did it. I went out to Lowes and spent $13 each for two "Worryfree organic gardening SENTRY OWLS". I will assign them to their posts (sic) this morning and see if I can save $26 worth of apricots.

I will be watching carefully, taking notes, and getting written reports from the birds about whether the owls are really a deterrant.

Report to follow.

Rick Potter

David Epperson
06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
You could pick out the best bearing limbs and put net enclosures around the fruit locations. Not as all inclusive as netting the whole tree, but should do the job.

But if you got Owls that can WRITE reports, and for only $13 each...Such a deal:D

Bonnie Campbell
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Fruit obviously tastes better if it can ripen ON the tree. I know peaches can be picked a bit under ripe and stored in a dark , cool place to ripen the rest of the way. I've done the same with pears or we'd get none since the deer will pick them off the tree. Sorry I don't know anything about apricots.

Wes Bischel
06-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow Rick, your post brought back memories. My Great Grandmother lived with us and used to pick apricots in the back yard and made jam from them. One of my few early memories is sitting at the table in her kitchen on a sunny summer day having a piece of toast with her jam on it.:)

Wes

Lee Schierer
06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Hopefully you didn't waste your money on the plastic owls. I have no experience with plastic owls, but have read that the following enhancements may improve their effectiveness. 1. Glue some feathers here and there that will move in the breeze so it looks like it is alive (Like on the "ears" and wings) 2. Relocate the owl often. Real owls don't often stay in the same spot day after day.

Rick Potter
06-28-2007, 2:40 AM
Yeah, it says right on the box to move them frequently or the birds will get accustomed to them. I am going to try to move them every two days if I remember. Right now they are placed on two pipes bungeed to a fence. One is up 6' and the other is up about 12'.

If I move them often will that qualify me for frequent flyer miles?

Rick Potter