PDA

View Full Version : Screw Products Inc wood screws

Eric Lewis
06-24-2007, 1:08 AM
Are these wood screws worth the money compared to other general purpose screws? I typically use unbranded screws or even drywall screws and must admit I'm not always satisfied, but usually I blame it on the user. I wasn't sure if the star-head that Screw Products touts is any better. Also, they look very similar to the GRK branded screws I saw at the Woodsmith store last weekend...

Thanks in advance for your input.

glenn bradley
06-24-2007, 1:22 AM
I always used whatever was available till I tried a $10 sampler from McFeely's. I now realize that like your tools and your cutters; there is a difference in your very basic hardware as well. The extra money is recovered the first time you don't twist the head off a screw at exactly the wrong time (is there ever a right time for that?).

Reg Mitchell
06-24-2007, 3:12 AM
Glean is right. I snaped 2 in some ash last week. I will only buy good screws from now own. The GRK rate high in my book
No more cheep screws from the box stores
Reg

Aaron Beaver
06-24-2007, 6:01 AM
I always used whatever was available till I tried a $10 sampler from McFeely's. I now realize that like your tools and your cutters; there is a difference in your very basic hardware as well. The extra money is recovered the first time you don't twist the head off a screw at exactly the wrong time (is there ever a right time for that?).

Got a free Sample from McFeely's and what a difference. Love the square drive screws.

Byron Trantham
06-24-2007, 8:30 AM
McFeely's has been mentioned as a great screw because they don't break. Here is another great reason - square drive! You can put a screw on the end of square drive screw driver and it stays there! It works as well as a magnetic screw driver. I use them exclusively. Well almost, I also use pocket hole screws, small #6 phillips head screws for attaching hinges, etc. and finally conformat (sp?) screws for MDF and melamine work.

Gary Herrmann
06-24-2007, 9:30 AM
Another vote for McFeelys. Been using them for years.

Don Bullock
06-24-2007, 9:45 AM
I don't know about Screw Products Inc, but I can tell you that the "hype" around here about the McFeely's screws is good advice. Sometime during the spring they offered a "Special" combination square drive package that had most of the sizes that I'd need for woodworking. Those screws have come in very handy and are excellent quality screws. They are much better than those sold at the BORG and other local sources. I've saved numerous trips to the local hardware store and actually will eventually save quite a bit of money. The McFeely's packages all come with their high quality square drives included.

I decided to buy the package without the bins and buy a set of bens at my local hardware store. HF carries the bins too, but they were not in stock at the time. If I had it to do over, I'd buy the McFeely's bins. With the screws they send a lable that fits right on their bins. I used to keep all my screws in drawers, but I've found that the bins are a great way to store them wall space for them is available.

At first I found their site, http://www.mcfeelys.com/, to be confusing, in fact I still do to some extent. They offer a very wide range of screws for many different tasks. At forst, I found it hard to figure out which ones I wanted. Once I found the "Product Tips & Info" tab at the top (not on the left side) I found most of the information that I needed to help me make the "right" choice.

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Another McFeeley's fan for screws here and a true convert to square drive (Robertson) unless I don't have a choice in the matter.

Bob Michaels
06-24-2007, 1:23 PM
I'm yet another McFeely's fan. Square drive quality screws make most jobs a pleasure. I invested what it took to assemble a complete selection of wood screws, lag bolts, carriage bolts, machine screws, washers, nuts, etc., etc. so I don't have to keep running to the Borg. They're all systematically stored in divided trays which in turn are in a "wall of drawers" which I call "my hardware store". "My hardware store" is within a few steps of my assembly table for convenience.

Dan Clark
06-24-2007, 2:32 PM
I'm a fan of Screw Products. Great screws and ALL are Torx screws.

I also heard about GRK on the JLC forum site. So I took a look at GRK. Here's what I posted on JLC comparing Screw Products and GRK.

While the GRK screws looked nice there were like twice as expensive as Screw Products screws.

I've used thousands of Screw Products screws and had only 2 heads pop off. Great screws.

Regards,

Dan.

----
I found a local GRK vendor called Fastenal who also has a web page. just for grins, I priced out several screws from both companies. Sizes are not exact, but this is the closest I could get.

Fastenal page filtered for GRK:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...94961422&Nty=0 (http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999600051+4294961422&Nty=0)

Screw Products page:
http://www.screw-products.com/gold.htm#gc

Results...

Cabinet screws:
#10 x 2-1/2" - Screw Products: $8.00/lb (approx 82)
#8 x 2-1/2" - GRK from Fastenal: $17/100

Coutersink Multi Purpose Wood screws:
#8 x 1-1/4" - Screw Products: $6.75/lb (approx 231)
#8 x 1-1/4" - GRK from Fastenal: $8.00/100

Finish Trim Head Screws:
#7 X 2" - Screw Products: $7.75/lb (approx 190)
#8 x 2" - GRK from Fastenal: $13.00/100

Some notes:
- Each company may offer trade discounts, but those aren't listed on the websites.

- It doesn't appear if Fastenal offers discounts for quantity. They seem to come in the 100 pack.

- Screw Products has quantity discounts for 5 lb and carton sizes. (I usually buy the 5lb size.) For example, the 5 lb box of #10 x 2-1/2" cabinet screws (approx 410) is $38.49, or a savings of about $6.50 over the 1lb size. A 25lb carton (approx 2,000 is $132.07, or a savings of $60 over the 5lb size.

They also have assortments of a bunch of similar screws in multiple sizes so you can try several types out. The Cabinet/Finish “Star Drive” Wood Screw Assortment Kit is $54.49: http://www.screw-products.com/diy.htm.

- Screw Products 1lb and 5lb sizes come in screw top plastic jars; the bulk carton is a box. I keep the empty jars for parts storage. Here's a page showing some of the screws and the storage jars: http://www.screw-products.com/pdfs/s...ail-july06.pdf (http://www.screw-products.com/pdfs/spi-retail-july06.pdf). (This page also shows some of their assortment kits too.)

-Screw Products Shipping for 3 screws listed above is $8.19. Shipping is free for orders over $75.

- Fastenal doesn't give you the shipping charge when place the order online. Since I can buy local, shipping shouldn't be an issue. But it irritates me that you can't get the shipping charge until AFTER you place the online order.

When I first started comparing the fasteners, I was just curious about GRK price differences. GRK may be better screws and Fastenal may be a high priced vendor, but after this little excercise, I think I'm getting a pretty good deal from Screw-Products.

Regards,

Dan.

Ed Garrett
06-26-2007, 9:08 AM
I too have had great success with McFeely's. Their square drive screws are about all I've used for 15 to 20 years. When you consider the cost of tools, wood, your time, etc., the cost of good screws looks pretty cheap. I typically order about $80 to $100 worth once or twice per year. I get unplated, stainless, and galvanized in many sizes and keep them in labled jars. I use them for everything: house repair, built-in stuff, exterior house repair/upgrades, and of course custom-made furniture. I may actually save money and time because I never make a trip to the hardware store for small lots of soft phillips screws.

I favor washer head screws because I like to put lots of tension on them and hide the screw heads either with pocket holes or counter sinks in unseen places. I also like how the washer heads don't split the wood near the end of boards. I keep several lengths of driver bits around and two nice rubber-handled square drive screwdrivers. I rarely touch a slotted or phillips screwdriver and I'm glad.

Square Drive Testimonial: Three years ago I had new roof installed and I asked the crew to replace any wood that showed the slightest signs of rot while the shingles were off. Over the years I had made numerous repairs to eaves, fascia, trusses, etc. My repairs included pressure treated wood and many square drive screws. Naturally some adjacent areas rotted and some whole sections, including places I had repaired, had to be pulled out by the roofers. As they did demolition, they became quite upset/impressed with my handywork. I would hear, "there's some more of those #$@#^#* screws again," followed by furious banging, prying, and more foul language...

I'm not particularly familiar with Screw Products, but I'm convinced that good quality screws are worth the extra pennies and effort.

Kevin Beck
06-26-2007, 4:52 PM
They look interesting and I haven't placed my order to replenish my McFeely's screws yet so I ordered some. I'll let you know how they compare to McFeely's when I receive them.

I've used thousands of McFeely's screws and they really are hard to beat.

Kevin

Scott Loven
06-26-2007, 5:04 PM
In addition to Mcfeelys, I have had good results with Kreg pocket screws.
Scott

Grady Cowardin
06-26-2007, 5:05 PM
Sorry to thread jack but can anyone recommend a decent set of countersinking bits or things to look for when buying them? I don't want to snag a set of cheapies online if they aren't useful. Are tapered bits the only way to go? I see some kits come with 5 or 6 screw sizes. Should I only buy 2 or 3 higher quality bits in stead or specific sizes?

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-26-2007, 5:43 PM
I have decided that I'll never buy another screw for power driving again unless it's a torqx drive.

I have used slots, phillips, square, and phillips/square combos. All of them force me to push to maintain the engagement. That cause me no end of serious pain. Torqx deives let me just relax and they stay engaged.

On my hands the nerves all despise me. I mean they loath me. And they hate power driving even more so the torqx bits are less strain. I get 'em from Mcfeeleys.

Don Selke
06-26-2007, 9:49 PM
McFeely's fan also, good products, excillent service and quick shipping.

Eric Lewis
06-28-2007, 1:07 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to try out McFeelys on several of your recommendations.

Troy Chaudoir
07-13-2007, 7:46 PM
Fuller taper points in link:

http://www.wlfuller.com/index.html

Working for an Architectural Woodwork shop (http://www2.onsitewoodwork.com/main.htm) I get to countersink quite a bit!!!