PDA

View Full Version : Belt Drive Dust Collector Question

Rob Will
06-24-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a (used) Oneida 7.5 HP belt-driven dust collector fan that I would like to mount verticaly above the cyclone (horizontal space considerations).

The ceiling height is 16 feet so headroom is no problem. The blower assembly and cyclone would be supported by a steel tubing frame bolted to the wall.

The blower itself is on a shaft with two pillow blocks.
The motor is a brand new Baldor 7.5 3ph.

Is there any reason that I can't stand this motor and belt-driven blower up on end?
(like a direct-drive cyclone)
Are most modern motors and pillow blocks all-position?

Also, I need to build an offset connector to raise my 3- 18 x 62" cartridge filters about 22" closer to the ceiling (as shown below). Any suggestions as to how this plenum should be shaped?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Will
06-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Anybody have experience running electric motors standing up on thier end?

We did a trial run with the blower standing in a vertical position. It seems that it works just fine. Am I missing anything?

Also, anybody know of a good source for sound deadening materials?......(Just in case I decide to partially enclose the DC filters).

Thanks,
Rob

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 1:15 PM
Unless the bearings are designed to run in that orientation, it's not a good idea to do that. Best bet is to contact Oneida with the model number and ask them.

Bruce Wrenn
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Being as how the bearings are ball bearings, they will work just fine. If they were bronze bushings, then they would have to have a thrust flange to suppot the weight of the rotor. Other than fractional HP motors, I haven't seen anything in years with bushings, ball bearings are too cheap to not use.