PDA

View Full Version : Black cherry bowl - please critique

Patrick Taylor
06-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Black cherry bowl, twice turned. 9" diameter, sanded to 400, watco danish oil, buffed & lightly waxed. The blank was quatersawn, hence the parallel grain. The pith on the outside does not penetrate the inner surface, but grain features are present nearby. The crack in the pith that runs along the outside was left intentionally.

Please comment/critique! Thanks.

http://www.beadsandcoves.com/uploaded_images/DSC08523-719053.jpg

http://www.beadsandcoves.com/uploaded_images/DSC08524-754720.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2007, 11:42 PM
That is a beauty Patrick. I don't see much to critique in my eyes. Nice job.

Mike A. Smith
06-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Patrick, really nice! I'll leave the critique to those that are qualified.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting some actual grain. I love looking at the wild stuff with a big wow! factor, but overall I think I like this type wood and style better. Looking at and touching grained wood is what I think got most of us into the shop to begin with. I've just turned a similar bowl in white ash that is still going through the finishing process. I did not plan on posting it because it was so plain, but it's one I keep going back to and just rubbing my hands over.

...just my $0.02

(Of course, that doesn't mean I won't crow over my first burl HF whenever it comes!)

Patrick Taylor
06-24-2007, 1:12 AM
it's one I keep going back to and just rubbing my hands over.

I feel the same most of the time. My favorites are often classic straight grain bowls with nice form. Raffan said in one of his books that all wood loses color and grain definition over time, and then you're left with just the form. I think I do better when I focus on form instead of letting a piece ride on flashy grain alone. That said, flashy grain never hurts! :D

Horst Hohoff
06-24-2007, 2:25 AM
Hello Patrick,
I can only agree with the others: there's nothing to criticise on this beautiful job!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-24-2007, 7:46 AM
Patrick, This bowl has a good feel to the eye. The form is smooth and I love the way you have given a slight, soft contour to the edge. The choice of cut does offer some nice grain definition. Keep up the good work.:)

Ron Sardo
06-24-2007, 8:23 AM
You can't go wrong with a classic shape.

Looks real nice

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 9:45 AM
Pretty much outstanding, Patrick. Classic shape. Excellent execution. You're welcome to put that on my table! LOL

(One view missing from your photos is one that shows how you formed the bottom which would also give an impression of how even your thickness is)

Patrick Taylor
06-24-2007, 9:55 AM
Pretty much outstanding, Patrick. Classic shape. Excellent execution. You're welcome to put that on my table! LOL

(One view missing from your photos is one that shows how you formed the bottom which would also give an impression of how even your thickness is)

Thanks! What view do you mean? The bottom of the inside?

Nancy Laird
06-24-2007, 9:55 AM
Very pretty bowl, Patrick. I love the grain in this piece and the rim treatment is right on.

Nancy

Dave Carey
06-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Beautiful piece, Patrick! The form is great, and the grain is a bonus in my view. Thanks for posting

Steve Schlumpf
06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Very nice bowl Patrick! Love the form! Really like the softened rim! Great looking grain and finish - just begs to be picked up!

Mike Vickery
06-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Great looking bowl. I don't see anything to critique.

Keith Burns
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I can't find anything wrong with this bowl either Patrick. Great piece !!:) :)

Tom Sherman
06-24-2007, 1:54 PM
Very well done Patrick.

Joyce Baldauf
06-24-2007, 11:43 PM
No critiques here, just awe. That is a beautiful bowl. Sometimes those classic lines are just that, classic.

Patrick Taylor
06-25-2007, 5:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. :)

Paul Heely
06-25-2007, 7:16 AM
Nice looking bowl Patrick. Love the look of the grain on the outside. Well done!

--
Paul