PDA

View Full Version : 15hh

BARRY RESNICK
06-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok. After seeing a 20" planer, I can say it is freaking HUGE. I have come down to getting a 15" with shelix head cutter.

I was thinking of the PM15HH. Is it of good build quality? Will its motor be more efficient than Grizzly motor?

Is $2199 alot for a 15" planer with Shelix? I know that a Grizzly with Shelix is around $1600.

Lance Norris
06-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Barry... I just bought the Grizzly 1021X, the 15" with the Shelix style cutterhead and I cant be more happy with it. Why would you think the Powermatic motor would be more efficiant? Take a look at the Grizzly g0453, sure looks like the Powermatic 15hh, but without the Shelix head. Grizzly has the 15" shelix head for $695. Add it to the 453 and you have a planer thats comperable to the 15hh. One reason I bought the 1021X is I didnt want to buy a new planer and then tear it apart, void the warranty and maybe have problems installing a new cutterhead. Im certain the Griz 1021X is comperable to the Powermatic 15hh for less money.

Tom Cowie
06-24-2007, 8:09 AM
Hi Barry

I have the 15hh and it is a fine machine. It's quiet and powerful and is heavy which makes it very stable.

Tom

James Biddle
06-24-2007, 9:37 AM
Barry... I just bought the Grizzly 1021X, the 15" with the Shelix style cutterhead and I cant be more happy with it. Why would you think the Powermatic motor would be more efficiant? Take a look at the Grizzly g0453, sure looks like the Powermatic 15hh, but without the Shelix head. Grizzly has the 15" shelix head for $695. Add it to the 453 and you have a planer thats comperable to the 15hh. One reason I bought the 1021X is I didnt want to buy a new planer and then tear it apart, void the warranty and maybe have problems installing a new cutterhead. Im certain the Griz 1021X is comperable to the Powermatic 15hh for less money.

The 15HH is $2199 inc. installed Byrd head, 10 spare inserts, integrated mobile base, and shipping (not liftgate).

To make an equivalent Grizzly comparison, I added options to reach the same content as the PM. The 1021X is $1595 inc. installed Grizzly head + $144 shipping (unclear if that includes liftgate) + $63 mobile base + $25 for 10 spare inserts = $1827. It's $372 cheaper

For a difference of $372, you get a true Byrd head and a 5-year warranty versus the Grizzly head and a 1-year warranty.

I think either of these machines would have satisfied my criteria, but I went with the Powermatic.

Bill Reed
06-24-2007, 2:18 PM
I recently ran 300 bd ft of walnut and 200 bd ft of cherry through my new 15hh and it performed splendidly. I really like the results I get with the Byrd cutterhead. Some of the cherry boards were 13 to 14 inches wide, and I found that I could bog down the motor if I tried to take too deep a cut on these really wide boards. Also, I am still getting a little snipe even after spending a lot of time adjusting the machine, but it is within acceptable limits. I may still have something set a little wrong.

BARRY RESNICK
06-24-2007, 6:38 PM
Anyone have photos of their machine? I have not seen one in person so I have not been able to "kick the tires"

Jeff Raymond
06-24-2007, 9:23 PM
I was surprised to hear two heavy equipment sales guys put down Helical knife machines.

The first one told me that, 'it was just another thing to charge you money for.'

The second guy said that in his experience that helical knife machines create (and I can't imagine why except that he said it), a kind of chopping that has to be sanded out of the material.

It had been my idea that, like cutting grass, a helical knife would provide a smoother cut, but both urged me to stick with straight knife jointer and planer.

Y'all being more expert at this, I'd go with what you say, but thought I would offer their opinions for the greater good.

Tom Cowie
06-24-2007, 10:16 PM
I was surprised to hear two heavy equipment sales guys put down Helical knife machines.

The first one told me that, 'it was just another thing to charge you money for.'

The second guy said that in his experience that helical knife machines create (and I can't imagine why except that he said it), a kind of chopping that has to be sanded out of the material.

It had been my idea that, like cutting grass, a helical knife would provide a smoother cut, but both urged me to stick with straight knife jointer and planer.

Y'all being more expert at this, I'd go with what you say, but thought I would offer their opinions for the greater good.

Most of those who wouldn't have a Helical head planer ,,,Don't have one..

I was convinced to give it a try and I am very pleased with the results. The Byrd head on my PM 15HH does an outstanding job on everything that I've put through it, and the plus is it is much quieter than my lunchbox Dewalt. I think that sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the Perfection scam that is to say that our machine is better because..........
Remember that natural wood is not plastic nor is it metal it will move and change under certain conditions. So IMHO the end result is up to the woodworker and how much effort they are willing to give.

No machine spits out perfection.. If it did Wal-mart would put us all out of a hobby:D ..

My 2 Cents

Tom :)

Tom Cowie
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Anyone have photos of their machine? I have not seen one in person so I have not been able to "kick the tires"

Sorry Barry

I have the pix attached to another post.

.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54002

Tom