PDA

View Full Version : Domino Inconsistancy? Or Is It Me?

Derek Arita
06-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I hope I can explain this so that it makes sense. I was making some test cuts and noticed something weird. As long as I kept the mortises in from the edge of a board, enough so that the board end was at or past the edge of the Domino fence, then the surfaces of the two pieces matched up perfectly level. When one of the boards was short of the edge of the fence and rested on the plastic Horizontal Postion Guage, then that mortise resulted in the surfaces of the mating pieces not being perfectly level.
Upon close inspection, I noticed that whenever the edge of a workpiece rested on the plastic guage, the plastic would deflect under pressure, thereby cutting the mortise slightly closer to the mating surface, resulting in the uneven surfaces. I also noticed that there are two little metal tabs that are supposed to prevent this, infortunately, the plastic Position Guage has to flex some before it comes in contact with the tabs and that amount of flex creates the errored mortise.
Anybody else notice this? If so, anyone have a fix for it?

Phil Thien
06-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe post a pic of the skewed mortise and the offending parts? May help those of us w/o a Domino to make suggestions, too.