PDA

View Full Version : Boy, I got it bad!!

Dominic Greco
06-23-2007, 10:13 PM
So I take a small detour (10 miles) from my trip to the Garden Center and hit a local flea market. I figure I could find some "parts" planes. I have a couple planes that need small parts in order to get them in shape 100%.

Now for the lofty sum of $10 I'm the proud owner of a Sargent #6 Jointer Plane. Only,.....it needs a new blade. Someone substituted a blade from a #4. Which is WAY too narrow.

@^%$&#! Now I have ANOTHER plane to recondition and find parts for!

I'm just glad I didn't buy those wooden rabbit planes that were making goo-goo eyes at me! I had to draw the line somewhere! :>)

BTW, does this addiction ever lessen?

See ya around,
Dominic
Neander in Training

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 9:54 AM
Your poor lathe is crying, Dominic...be sure you pet it nicely today! (and recondition your planes in another room or with a sheet hung to hide what you are doing... :D :D :D )

Richard Niemiec
06-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Which flea, as I was in the Lambertville flea on Saturday and I think I saw that plane. Also, there's a guy there that has a nice spiffy Bedrock 604, been for sale for two weeks, dunno want he wants for it but if your addiction runs to bedrocks, there you go....

RN

Dominic Greco
06-24-2007, 1:10 PM
Which flea, as I was in the Lambertville flea on Saturday and I think I saw that plane. Also, there's a guy there that has a nice spiffy Bedrock 604, been for sale for two weeks, dunno want he wants for it but if your addiction runs to bedrocks, there you go....

RN

Richard,
Wow! You were there as well? I was sort of disappointed at the low vendor turn out. Usually all of the tables are packed.

I saw the same Bedrock plane as well. He was asking $90 for the #3 Bedrock he had. After I heard that price, I didn't bother to ask about the the Bedrock Jointer. I guess I should have been prepared for some of the price tags I saw. That Flea Market is somewhat notorious for it's jacking up of prices. This is probably because of the influx of out of state traffic (mostly NY & North NJ) it's sees.

I'm sorry, but I'm not about to pay $90 for a #3, no matter how nice. Especially since I already have a #3 Bailey (which I picked up for $15) and I'm pretty happy with it.

The vendor I was dealing with was several tables down from him and had more Fulton, and Sargent than Stanley planes. Still, he had some nice stuff and was a very nice guy to talk to. I'll probably look for him again next time I get the chance to stop by that Flea Market.

Clint Jones
06-24-2007, 3:48 PM
$90 for a bedrock 603 is more than a fair price. I have sold many 603's for $175 and up.

Dominic Greco
06-24-2007, 9:54 PM
$90 for a bedrock 603 is more than a fair price. I have sold many 603's for $175 and up.

But what I was trying to say is that I'm not sure I would be willing to pay that much for a Bedrock. I'm not that into Bedrocks,....yet. Hell, I'm still trying to learn to use my Baileys correctly.:)

And I think that if I was going to spend over $90 for a handplane, I'm going to save up (admittedly a lot more) and get a new one like a LV or LN.

Of course, his may all change if I try out a Bedrock and find that it's like nothing I've experienced before.:D

BTW, that has happened to me. It was the first time I tried out a LN Low Angle Block Plane. Before that I was using a POS Millers Falls that was making me crazy. It was like the light came on.