PDA

View Full Version : Gloves (when turning)

Kenneth D. Stein
06-23-2007, 9:21 PM
I have seen several great turners use fingerless gloves when turning including David Ellsworth. I bought a pair that reduces the force of impact.

Are they safe to use? AAW says gloves are not safe.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-23-2007, 9:29 PM
Gloves can be a huge point of debate.

I know when I turn dry wood that the heat from the shavings can be uncomfortable on my hands, and I stop frequently when it becomes an issue.

I will side with the thought that anything that can be caught and pull your hands into the spinning work is dangerous. I too have seen plenty of people who wear cycling gloves as well, but it only takes one accident to end your turning days...not worth it in my mind:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2007, 9:29 PM
I use them. You just have to be careful. I use them because at times turning dry wood those chips are hot and the tool gets hot. It also seems to reduce the fatigue in my hand also.

Patrick Taylor
06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't use them because I haven't found it to be too much of an issue. I've also heard of people putting duct tape on the "chopping" side of their left hand to deflect hot shavings. Haven't had to try it yet.

Mark Pruitt
06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
I use the "finger-less" gloves that Woodcraft sells. I don't see where AAW could say they're unsafe. They're excellent for mitigating the effects of carpel tunnel syndrome.

Curt Fuller
06-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I wear a fingerless leather gloves on my left hand when I'm turning dry wood. Like all aspects of turning there are risks but you do all you can to minimize them. I personally wouldn't feel good about cloth type gloves just because they can snag a lot easier. I have a good friend that is a full time professional turner and every time I've been in his shop he's wearing leather fingerless gloves. He's been at it for about 40 years and still has all his fingers so I feel pretty safe wearing one.

Terry Quiram
06-24-2007, 7:29 AM
I use mechanics gloves. They are tight with no extra bits to flop around and get in the way.

Terry

Steve Trauthwein
06-24-2007, 8:27 AM
The tight gloves are probably less of a risk, but any cloth that is close to rotating machinery puts the wearer at risk.

I saw a pro at a demo address the hot chips from dry wood with a piece of chewing gum. He got it nice and moist then stuck it in the groove of his gouge, it directed the chips away from his hand. I got rid of my gloves after that.

Regards, steve

joe greiner
06-24-2007, 9:14 AM
AAW says gloves are not safe.

Don't know where you got this. There was a similar, but longer, debate/discussion on the AAW forum a month or three ago, and I don't recall a universal conclusion. [BTW, I don't wear gloves. If the wood and the tool are too hot, I figure all three of us need a rest.]

Joe

Patrick Taylor
06-24-2007, 9:20 AM
Don't know where you got this. There was a similar, but longer, debate/discussion on the AAW forum a month or three ago, and I don't recall a universal conclusion. [BTW, I don't wear gloves. If the wood and the tool are too hot, I figure all three of us need a rest.]

Joe

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/safety.cfm

#3:
Tie back long hair, do not wear gloves, loose clothing, jewelry or any dangling objects that may catch in rotating parts or accessories.

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2007, 9:41 AM
The type I use are the leather weight lifters fingerles gloves and only wear the left hand. They are tight fitting and have a pad that runs across the callouses of your hand about 1" wide. So this also pads your hand and to me also makes holding the gouge more comfortable.

Bob Hallowell
06-24-2007, 9:44 AM
I wear thin mech gloves for hot dry wood plus I turn in 15deg winter weather in my shop. try hoding a chisel then without a glove. I just make sure the glove is tight.

Bob

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 9:47 AM
Some folks will wear a fingerless glove on the hand closest to the workpiece when cutting on hard, dry wood to avoid burns on the side of the hand. This is NOT recommended due to the danger it brings...but folks still do it. I will admit to the same...I got a second degree burn once and chose to avoid it happening again.

Dave Carey
06-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I wear padded, fingerless gloves to dampen the vibrations. Ive got some arthritis in both thumb joints, and I figure those gloves are extending my turning time. That and making sure my hands stay away from anything moving!

Reed Gray
06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I used to have a big callus on my little finger of my left hand from it deflecting the shavings from my gouge. Even wet shavings were abrasive, if not hot. All this changed when I started using my scrapers for the shaping and roughing work on bowls. The only thing that goes over my fingers now are the whispy finish cut shavings, and wet or dry, they don't bother me.
robo hippy

Frank Kobilsek
06-25-2007, 9:53 AM
I ran a carving skew thru my index finger of my left hand. There is nerve damage along the side of the finger and the chips feel like a million mesquito bites a minute when I turn. So I wear a cheap golf glove. Walmart special $4 or 5 bucks each and they last 5 or 6 months.

That said if you don't need the glove don't wear it. The safety issue is valid.

Frank

keith zimmerman
06-25-2007, 1:49 PM
I have worn gloves most of the time I've been turning. My original gloves were full-fingered goatskin that were extremely snug and worked quite well. I now have a pair of shock-absorbing fingerless gloves from Woodcraft and they also work well. I originally started using them because of the heat generated; I burned the side of my hand while turning some dry ash. Now, in addition to heat protection, I really like the shock-absorbtion factor.

I have never had a problem with either type of glove. This is my personal experience and decision. I do not make this recommendation to anyone.

keith

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2007, 5:55 PM
I wear a fingerless glove on my left hand only. I've sustained a couple of injuries when _not_ wearing a glove on my left hand....since then, I've always worn a glove on the left hand. The glove is leather and there's been enough wear and tear on the leather just below the knuckle of the little finger that the leather has worn through. To me? It's a personal choice.

Andrew Harkin
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I saw a couple debates about it and wore the thin mechanics gloves a few times when working with dry wood because of the burns, but found another method by chance that seemed a lot safer to me. I had a small cut that wouldn't quit bleeding one day out in the shop, and just stuck a piece of masking tape with a bit of paper towel over it to make it quit. It happened to be right in one of the spots I normally get burned/beat up when doing dry turnings, and seems to help and be a lot safer.