PDA

View Full Version : Best Protective Finish for Baseball Bat?

Kevin Blunt
06-23-2007, 9:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I have just finished my first hard maple bat that I will be using in games when I play. I just finished it tonight and want to stain it and then apply a clear protective finish. I am planning on using circa 1850 bowling alley fast-dry poly. My question is, will this stand up to the abuse of the ball or will it flake off?

Also, I guess the reason I want this stuff is because it's advertised as a bowling alley finish.

I'm having trouble locating this product locally, and am wondering if the Minwax fast dry poly is the same or very similar? At the end of the day, I'm hoping to use a fast drying poly, unless I hear differently from you guys. Will it flake or crack off, or will it be durable enough?

Doug Shepard
06-23-2007, 9:41 PM
I used to work at a bowling alley in my teens. During the summer they would have to refinish the alleys, gutters, and deck every few years. So I dont think it's all that durable. I'm pretty sure the poly they used wasn't what you could pick up at HD though. It was extremely strong smelling stuff. They had to rent 7-8 very large fans, and crack all the doors open. Even then it was hard to work very long in there without getting a bad headache. I wondering about using epoxy for a finish??

David DeCristoforo
06-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I always thought the best finish for a baseball bat was a mixture of equal parts of dirt and sweat.

Jason Roehl
06-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I believe lacquer is the standard finish for baseball bats. I've been wrong before, though. I turned one out of hickory a few years ago, but I don't remember what I used for a finish--I don't think I had lacquer on hand. I used it for 2 softball seasons, and the finish is definitely damaged, particularly on the end grain, but overall it doesn't look too bad--it looks like a bat, just bigger and heavier. :D

Brad Townsend
06-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Is this a Sammy Sosa model, and if so, where are you getting the cork for the core?:D

Tom Veatch
06-23-2007, 11:46 PM
...During the summer they would have to refinish the alleys, gutters, and deck every few years. So I dont think it's all that durable. ...

Am I reading this wrong? A bowling alley, refinish deck and lanes every few years.

That sounds pretty durn durable to me.

Rob Will
06-24-2007, 1:00 AM
The BORG sells lacquer sealer and lacquer finish in spray cans.

I use two coats of sealer and as many coats of finish as desired. Sand, vacuum, and use a tack rag lightly between coats. Fine steel wool between the last couple of coats rather than sandpaper.

Dries very fast.

Rob

Doug Shepard
06-24-2007, 7:51 AM
Am I reading this wrong? A bowling alley, refinish deck and lanes every few years.

That sounds pretty durn durable to me.

Actually I'm not sure if it really lasted that long. Their time window for doing it was rather short and wouldn't allow them to do all of the lanes at once. It's been a long time but IIRC they were doing either 1/2 or 1/3 of the lanes (somewhere around 40 lanes total) every summer then rotating through them. Most of the wear would have been from balls rolling over the finish. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of baseball bat use but would think the ball impact would flake it off quicker than the rolling wear??

Rich Engelhardt
06-24-2007, 8:22 AM
Hello Doug,
An alternative method to putting on a surface finish would be to use an oil finish - Tung, Watco or Danish.
It'll offer some protection to the wood but allow for easy touchups of damaged areas.
Repairs are simple matter of a light sanding of the affected spot and an application of another coat of oil.