PDA

View Full Version : Recessed Clip, Solid Ended Pen

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-23-2007, 8:03 PM
Hi,

I have been thinking of trying a solid bodied pen with a recessed clip, here is the result from my attempts.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8971.jpg

The pen body is alternative ivory from Craft Supply, the black cabochons are from Fire Mountain Gems (12mm in the cap, 10 mm in the pen body), the pen kit is a black titanium Baron from William Woodwrite.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8974.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8972.jpg

The pen body was finished with wet sanding with micromesh and then a final plastic polish to remove all fine scratches.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8978.jpg

Critiques are welcomed

Mike Vickery
06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Very nice job Jim the turning, detail work material, and hole for the clip look great. I assume since you did it with the baron you used the Jackman J hook method. I applaud you for doing it. I have only seen about a dozen people ever post these.
The only thing I do not like is it looks like you left to much material on the end of the cap. The solid bodies tend to be a little longer in general so it is really easy for the length to get out of control when you do the double closed ends.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks Mike,

I appreciate your critique.

The pen is indeed longer than a stock Baron and as you have said as well, double ended pens have the potential to run long on length. I measured it against a stock Baron and it is 5/8" longer.

Again I appreciate your honest critique:)

Patrick Taylor
06-23-2007, 11:21 PM
...it is 5/8" longer.

I quite like the length. Nice work. :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I like it. Very classy pen Jim. Nice job.

Martin Shupe
06-24-2007, 1:20 AM
Very nice, Jim, was it difficult to mount the clip? What is the "Jackson J hook method"? Yeah, I'm sorry, I always have questions.

I think it is a beautiful pen, and your work always impresses me.

Terry Quiram
06-24-2007, 7:26 AM
You keep putting the bar higher and higher. I can hardly see it now.:eek: Nice work my friend. She's a real beauty eh?

Terry

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-24-2007, 8:54 AM
Very nice, Jim, was it difficult to mount the clip? What is the "Jackson J hook method"? Yeah, I'm sorry, I always have questions.

Thank You all,

Well I have been experimenting with a reccessed clip idea and I borrowed some ideas from the Jackman J Hook Method. If you go to this link and scroll down to the Recessed Clip, you can down load the PDF file and see how he does it. I sort a kinda did somthing similar, but I used 5 minute epoxy as my anchor on the inside of the cap.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13621

Grant Wilkinson
06-24-2007, 10:32 AM
That's a beauty, Jim. I am always several steps behind you in trying things. I just started yesterday on a spalted maple with a recessed clip. I love the ivory.

Rich Souchek
06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Jim,
That is a sweeeeeeeeeet looking pen.
I realy like it.
You going to use it for a while and refine it a bit with your impressions while you use it?
Rich S.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-24-2007, 11:38 AM
That's a beauty, Jim. I am always several steps behind you in trying things. I just started yesterday on a spalted maple with a recessed clip. I love the ivory.

Thanks Grant :)

I look forward to seeing your pen as well......maybe we can get Mr. Lee to start selling some nicer pen supplies eh, I have been working on him for about 4 years on that.;)

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Jim,
That is a sweeeeeeeeeet looking pen.
I realy like it.
You going to use it for a while and refine it a bit with your impressions while you use it?
Rich S.

Thanks Rich,

I will indeed use it and see what I will change, I might convert it to a fountain pen...:)

I have never made a pen I intended to keep for myself, this is my first one like that, I will keep it as a desk pen.

Keith Burns
06-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I've always admired your work Jim, but this one wins the Blue Ribbon in my book !! WOW:) :)

Mike Vickery
06-24-2007, 5:18 PM

Bill Jackman (not Jackson) came up with a way to do the recessed clips on several different kits than the original Method. Russ Fairfield was the first to start making the recessed clip pens several years ago but with the way he made them they could only be done one a couple of different pen kits. Bill's method work on most of the pen kits.

See links Jim posted above for information on Bill's method.

Grant Wilkinson
06-24-2007, 8:07 PM
Jim

I'll start working on him from this end. Maybe with both of us going at him, he'll see that there's gold in them thar pens.

I got a very small scrap of Corian today, and I've just started a closed end Baron roller ball for a friend in the kitchen business. I'll post it if it turns out.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-24-2007, 8:37 PM
Jim

I'll start working on him from this end. Maybe with both of us going at him, he'll see that there's gold in them thar pens.

I got a very small scrap of Corian today, and I've just started a closed end Baron roller ball for a friend in the kitchen business. I'll post it if it turns out.

Thanks Grant....

Hey post it and tell us how it went!

What side of Ottawa do you live in? I used to work for the GSC at Dow's Lake, lived on Richmond Road just west of Churchill.

Grant Wilkinson
06-25-2007, 5:48 AM
Hi Jim

I live in Kanata; been here for about 5 years. Before that, I was in Gloucester for ~20 years. Born and raised in windsor, ON.

Take care.