PDA

View Full Version : Hall table progress (pics)

Rick Haigh
01-12-2004, 11:40 PM
I am working on a hall table for my Mom, and hope to have it finished within the next few weeks. I have just finished assembling the drawers. I still need to fit them and add some runners to the side of the drawers. I am using a plan from Woodsmith. I am not sure the flush drawers will turn out as good as I had hoped, but at least I tried. I will post more pictures when I complete the finishing.

What about the proportions? The top will be ~14.5" x 42". I am not sure if it is tall enough (~26"). Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for viewing.

Hans Kribbel
01-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Hi Rick.

I think you can be quite happy with your work so far, at least I would. I like the tapered legs and the slim design.
Are you going to stain the wood dark or is it going to stay more natural. I think a darker finish would add to the design.

Just my humble 5 cents.

Please let us see the finished table, maybe placed in the location you designed it for. I think custom pieces give the best impression when they are displayed and shown in the setting they belong in.

Thanks for your posting.

Hans

Terry Hatfield
01-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Rick,

I agree with Hans...looks good to me!!!! I like the simple, elegant design and the proportions look fine also.

Post some pics when you are finished. I'm sure your Mom will be thrilled.

Terry

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-13-2004, 8:10 AM
26" sounded too low when I read it, but it looks okay in the pictures. Being up on the saw may have something to do with that...it may still appear too short when it sits on the floor. If the height doesn't affect the function (as it would with an eating-on table), then it really doesn't matter as long as the end user is happy...and she will be.

The drawer fit looks fine to me (gap looks uniform enough), but the space bewteen them seems too big.

The taper on the legs looks very nice and well done...subtle yet noticeable.

Good job. Mom will be proud.

KC

Dick Parr
01-13-2004, 8:26 AM
Looks good Rick, keep us posted when your finished.

Jim Becker
01-13-2004, 9:02 AM
Looks just great to me, Rick. You've also been paying good attention to grain matching throughout the apron...that will really make the piece sing when it's finished.

Todd Burch
01-13-2004, 9:08 AM
RICK - I AM SO GLAD I LOOKED TWICE!! I thought you had PINK walls in your shop - I see it is just insulation... Phewwwww!

Oh yeah, the table looks good. Any shorter, and it would be too short. I make end tables at 26" to 27" tall. If your mom is 6'2" tall or taller, it might be too short.

Todd.

Jason Tuinstra
01-13-2004, 9:20 AM
Rick, I'm assuming you're following the Woodsmith dimensions - right? If you are, I built this table a number of years ago. The height is just fine as far as I'm concerned.

Your table looks great so far. I don't think the flush drawers are going to look bad at all. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

Jason

Glenn Clabo
01-13-2004, 9:52 AM
Rick,
It takes guts to throw something you've been working on out for comment. It really is a good thing though. IMHO you shouldn't suffer over this...he says while still suffering over a 100 things he designed and built...but use it as a learning experience.

Again IMHO it maybe a little short...only because I like the ones that are the "normal" 29-29 1/2 inches. But it's no big deal to do something out of "normal". It's difficult to tell by the picture and without the top...but it really does look fine.

From a visual point of view I wouldn't have spaced the draws as far apart. Also I think I would have spaced the area above the draw a little larger. I built one like this and I still see that in mine. It lets more of the draw show when you put the top on.

However...all those things don't mean it doesn't look nice. You clearly have done a good job with the woodworking. Just finish it up and let Mom enjoy it. I'm sure she'll love it. Show us how it turns out first though.

Ted Shrader
01-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Rick -

I think you have made a good start. You got the grain matched across the front. (It can end up not matching - that or the drawer will be upside down - DAMHIKT. :( )

Don't worry about the height. The height depends on its intended placement/use. That can fit in many places.

Lets see pictures when you get it finished.

Regards,
Ted

Alan Turner
01-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Nice work, and thanks for sharing. I have been working on a hall table design for a bit, and found that the heights vary from about 29 to 39 inches. 26" seems the std. height for an end table. Lower ceilings might dictate a lower height, depending upon its intended home.
What have you determined for the overhangs of the top? I tend to make mine about 1.25" front and back, and about 3 or so inches on the sides.
Have fun with this.
BTW, as I am still trying to figure the time it takes one to do various things, what will you have into the two drawers, start to finsih, including fitting? If these are standard DT'd drawers, I have heard that 8 hrs @ is the #, and will be interested to see your time. I thought that seemed high, till I put a clock on myself, and think that for std. drawers, no cockbeading, no veneer, 8 hours is about right, even though it still seems high.

John Scarpa
01-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Rick,
My immeadiate impression was, nice design, good porportions. She's going to smile when she gets this one.
John

Rick Haigh
01-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Wow! You guys are great. It is so nice to have so many positive comments. The top is already glued up, I just need to cut it down to size. I am still looking at finishing options. The wood is so beautiful, that I would like to bring out the figure as much as possible. Typically I just wipe some gloss poly on and am happy with it. I have not been very happy with the minwax version of staining, so I may use a water based dye this time.

The front apron came from a single piece of wood, so that is why the grain matches so well. I wanted it to look like one continuous piece, including the drawers. The drawers were not too difficult, so far. I will have to place the runners correctly, so that the drawer gap will be consistent on the sides. I did not dovetail the drawers, since I did not want to mess them up. I used a lock miter instead. This gave me the ability to easily position the drawer front up the required 1/16" from the apron.

I did not even think about posting pictures with a pink background. It is so funny that Todd would be the one to bring it up.

I will post more pictures when I get finished.

Thanks!
Rick