PDA

View Full Version : Here's a pic of the beauty ring for the big one

Bill Wyko
06-23-2007, 1:33 PM
It's not glued up yet and not quite sized perfectly just yet, but I just wanted to get some input on what you guys(and girls) think. Once the diamonds are turned down they will loose the left and right tips to make a zig-zag look above and below the pattern. The indian blankets will remain flat sided to add dimention. Once I get past this, it should come together fairly quick. Here's a few more pics.

Robert McGowen
06-23-2007, 2:44 PM
Looks good and you have to have a lot of hours in this one! Better be perfectly centered when you start turning it so that the pattern comes out evenly though. Any thoughts on how you are going to accomplish that?

Bill Wyko
06-23-2007, 2:58 PM
I'll make a 13.5 inch MDF ring with a pin point centered, then I'll center the beauty ring on that first. The pin point center will align with the tail stock which should align it with the vessel. I'll then test spin it to check for center and make any adjustments needed. I'll then superglue little blocks to the outside excess of the ring for alignment, remove it, glue it then attach it to the vessel. In theory this should work. The difficult part of this one is that this ring has 9 segments so there's no truing your 1/2 rings. You have to be on the money with the angles of the individual pieces. This is a first for me so it's been a real test of my skills. I sure hope this works because I have an immense amount of work in this one. BTW this beauty ring in it's self has 486 pices. The bottom that it attaches to has 472 pieces so far. I'll be making one more beauty ring at the top as well. My fingers are crossed.:confused: :D

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-23-2007, 4:40 PM
Bill, best of luck as you assemble and turn. You've certainly tackled an ambitious project. This will literally be diamond cutting once you start the turning.

Bill Wyko
06-23-2007, 4:51 PM
Thanks Malcolm. This weekend will be the test with this one.:rolleyes: Here's a pic of the disc. I made it using a circle cutting jig on my router. We have a router dedicated to cutting circles at my stereo shop. I ended up using 1/2" Baltic Birch. When I get home today I'll give it a try.

Patrick Taylor
06-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Wow! I can't WAIT to see how this comes out! Please post more progress pics as you go. :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I agree with Patrick, please keep us posted. That looks like it is going to be awesome Bill.

joe greiner
06-24-2007, 8:58 AM
Bill, your painstaking attention to detail is amazing. This is going to be jewelry. I think we'd all better buy some bibs to catch the drool.

Joe

Jason Slutsky
06-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Bill, thanks for posting these pics. I love seeing the progression of work as much as the finished product. Looks like this one's gonna be a knockout!

Jason

Bill Wyko
06-26-2007, 1:15 PM
Well, the ring turned out pretty nice but it does have a couple little imperfections where I turned through to the maple. I did intend on turning through in these spots but there's a couple that are different in size. All in all it looks pretty good. Once again I forgot my camera so I'll post pics tomorrow. :rolleyes: