PDA

View Full Version : Bottle stoppers and pen kits

Ellen Benkin
06-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd like to get into production mode to produce some items for Christmas and other presents. I know from experience that I need to settle on one brand of pen kit because mixing and matching doesn't work well. I'd also like to start turning bottle stoppers but I've read the post where people indicate that some of them don't "stop" the flow very well.

So, here's a combined question. Does anyone have suggestions for a good, reliable, affordable, single source for both pens and bottle stoppers that both look good and work well.

Nancy Laird
06-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Ellen,

Craft Supplies USA, the Woodturners Catalog, has a couple of stopper kits available, as well as a myriad of pen kits.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&searchstart=20&keywords=bottle%20stoppers

The one on this link is the one I like best, don't forget to get the mandrel.

A lady by the name of Ruth Niles also designed and sells a stainless steel stopper that lots of people like because they don't pit from the acids. http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html

Nancy

Robert McGowen
06-23-2007, 2:48 PM
I purchased 20 of the Ruth Niles stoppers and about 2 weeks later, purchased 40 more. Get the threaded ones. No relation or business interest. Just a satisfied customer.

Barbara Gill
06-23-2007, 5:12 PM
I agree about Ruth's stoppers. I have hadf trouble with the plated stoppers pitting from being in red wine bottles.

Roger Bell
06-23-2007, 9:47 PM
The Niles stoppers are really classy and are suitable as nice gifts for good friends or relations. They work well for wine. They also look good on display.

A more general purpose stopper that is dirt-cheap is the silicone ones from Craft Supplies USA. They are so cheap that you hand out stoppers to everyone you know. I believe that these work in a larger range of bottles than the Niles. Good for non-drinkers....who might use cooking oil bottles, etc. in the kitchen.