PDA

View Full Version : Is a Bandsaw needed?

Charles Jackson III
06-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I am wondering at my stage of woodworking do I need bandsaw, I am just looking to cut curves. But I know that a bandsaw cant cut all the curves u might need to cut, so a Jigsaw is still need. Most woodworkers remend a Bosch.

Earl Reid
06-23-2007, 12:05 PM
I,ve had a sears band saw for many years, I use 1/16 blades up to 1/2" blades. It is the second most used tool in the shop. Seldom use the scroll saw. Mt 2 cents
Earl

Matt Day
06-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Some will say you can get by without one, some will say it's the most used tool in the shop. It's superior to a jigsaw for cutting curves (jigsaws don't always cut perpedicular to the face). A small benchtop bandsaw will be fine for doing small work, but if you want to do any resawing you'll need at least a 14" model.

If you have the money/space, you need one!

William Nimmo
06-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I have had 2 benchtop bandsaws and through them in the trash. One I purchased as a rookie and the other was a gift . Got a jet 14 and use it often.

Charles Jackson III
06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I got a small 10x12 shop, looking at adding the 14'' Grizzly GO580 Bandsaw I to looked at the Sears Craftsman 10'' bandsaw but it to small for me.

Brian Kent
06-23-2007, 12:46 PM
If I had the room and the cash, I would buy a bandsaw. I grew up with my dad's combination bandsaw and belt sander.

With my other tools, I do not have room in my small shop. I have a half of a two-car garage, and my half includes the washer and dryer and sink.

I work around by table saw and european style bench for hand tool work.

Part of the problem I find with the band saw is I really think I would need a jointer and planer to go with it.

For curves I have a Bosch jigsaw, a scroll saw, and a router. I am getting by without it, but over time I would try to find the room to add the bandsaw / jointer / planer.

Bob McGovern
06-23-2007, 4:45 PM
Hi, Charles. I have a 14" Bridgewood, the cheapie version of the iconic Delta. Used it much in my weird-curved-work days, but it was always a piece of trash and has become more trouble to keep running than it is worth.
So I've developed a vast array of workarounds involving hand tools, jig saws, routers, and tablesaw rigs.

I will be purchasing a larger one soon, tho. My head says a 21" Grizzly (if poor) or Agazzani (if rich relative dies). My heart says hunt down a 1950s era Crescent, Yates, Oliver, or similar. Hard to go wrong with 2000 lbs of cast iron!:eek:

When the new saw arrives, I suspect it will suddenly become the first recourse for many shop procedures. I just avoid using my current saw because it's so rotten to deal with. You can live without one, unless you do turning, veneer resawing, or sculptural work. Given $1500 to blow, a good tablesaw is usually the prime purchase.

Charles Jackson III
06-23-2007, 5:21 PM
Ya I am planning on replaceing my Benchtop table saw first.

Tim Marks
06-23-2007, 9:14 PM
My bandsaw (Rikon 14") is my favorite tool. It is amazing to be able to cut intricate shapes easily, with no fear that the saw is going to grab the piece and
drag your hands into the blade.

There is no comparison to a jigsaw or scrollsaw, which has motion up and down, pushes the workpieces around, and (even Bosch!) vibrates horribly. The bandsaw blade always drags the workpiece straight down, which means little vibration, easy control of the workpiece.

Way better and more useful, IMHO, then a jigsaw.

My ony complaint is that I should have spent more money, and got a 17-19" unit, since those have much more features which are almost a must-have, such as quick-release blade tensioning lever and blade brake. Of course, there is always room for two bandsaws, so you can leave a 1/8" blade on the smaller one for cutting small curves...

Rob Will
06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Yes, get the biggest bandsaw you can afford. Locate it at the middle of a long wall with the table pointing out into the center of the room. If you can't do that on a permanent basis, a mobile base can help but exercise caution (when moving the top heavy bandsaw).

Don't forget to check out the used market for a good clean saw.

We use my bandsaw all the time.

Rob

Mike Cutler
06-24-2007, 7:01 AM
Charles

A well tuned, powerful bandsaw, while not "essential", is an important addition to a shop. It compliments the table saw, and the jointer very well, and can be a big time saver in breaking down rough stock, safer too. A long rip on a twisted, cupped, and or a bowed piece of material is very safely accomplished, and saves time and material in the long run.

I have a 14" Jet and an 18" Rikon, and imho the Jet is just too lite of a machine. I still use it for finer work, but it lacks the power, and wheel mass to do any heavy work.
I agree with Rob, Get a big one. 18"-24", cast iron wheels, nice big table, and a good sized motor.Eventually you will want to resaw with it, and not just for book matching either . This takes a bigger more powerful machine.

scott spencer
06-24-2007, 9:14 AM
A bandsaw was one of the last of the major appliances I added to my shop. A jig saw will cut curves, but a BS definitely has it's place and can do some things a jig saw won't....resawing for instance, and a BS is easier to cut curves on IMO.

Pat Germain
06-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I think a killer bandsaw will be my next purchase. Thanks for all the info, folks.

I did some woodworking many years ago and couldn't remember how I did a lot of things without the tools I now have. Then I remembered I used to use the Wood Hobby Shop at Langley Air Force Base when I was active duty Navy. Boy, that place was great! It was a full-tilt, no-nonsense shop with some very nice, old-iron, commercial power tools. The only thing lacking was decent router bits, and such, but you could always bring your own. It's the only military benefit I miss. :)

Good luck with finding a killer bandsaw, Charles.

glenn bradley
06-24-2007, 11:34 AM
My dad has a Delta 14" that's older than I am and uses it all the time. I have a medium quality C-man and use it when I need to. If I had my dad's saw or equivalent, I would use the heck out of it. I do however love my Bosch 1591 VS but it's no band saw.

Homer Faucett
06-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Charles,

If you are a beginning woodworker that will be doing mostly flat work and home improvement projects, I think you will find yourself using a quality jigsaw much more than a bandsaw. I always hated using my jigsaw, a 1960's Black & Decker from my grandfather, and I bought a bandsaw for resawing and some scroll work. I sometimes do some scrollwork on my bandsaw, but ever since I picked up a used Bosch jigsaw, I pick that up first for cutting plywood and other simple curve work.

The difference is night and day between the Bosch and the Black and Decker. I even went and picked up a second Bosch for my dad, and threw away his old jigsaw for him. He was suitably impressed after we did the side-by side comparison.

With that said, I think you'll be getting a bandsaw before too long, if the budget allows. ;)

Charles Jackson III
06-24-2007, 3:04 PM
ya I been looking at the Craftsman line of Bandsaws!

Bert Johansen
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
If you ever intend to do any resawing, get the biggest saw you can afford. I upgraded to the Rikon 18-inch awhile back, and love the beast.

Charles Jackson III
06-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I wont be doing any resawing anytime soon just curve cutting. So I think I can get by with upgrading my jigsaw.