PDA

View Full Version : Nice Prairie Schooner for Around the House and Neighborhood…

Ed Garrett
06-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Looking to build a wagon for your: Kids? Grandkids? Here’s one with a twist:

I made this wagon about 15 years ago when my kids were toddlers. My wife and I would make them a “baby nest” in the wagon and take them for walks. It hooks up to my bike too. It’s also been abused for hauling furniture, groceries, tools, sand, yard debris, etc… The weight capacity is only limited by the strength of the puller. You can also convert this wagon to a Prairie Schooner for young settlers who are intent on taking epic journeys around the neighborhood.

Here’s some specs if you’d like to emulate: Bed size = 40”x24”, walls = 2x8 yellow pine, floor = ¾ ext plywood, wheels = 10”, handle = looped plywood arm piece from a chair, pulling strut = laminated maple crutch frame, tongue = maple legs from a lab table, yoke mechanism = decommissioned motorcycle front hub and axle. The brake rotor was perfect for bolting into the front wheel axle yoke. You need a very strong vertical axle and bearing for this wagon to work well. Mount the wheels so there is sufficient clearance to not squash little fingers.

The Prairie Schooner cover is made from a drop in insert anchoring hoops of 1/2" PVC and a canvas covering.

My kids are grown now, but they believe that every family should have a wagon like this. Wagons Ho!

Gary Herrmann
06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Very nice.

Phil Thien
06-23-2007, 5:33 PM
That is fantastic. Perfect for 4th of July festivities. You'd have the nicest ride in the parade!

But...

It looks to be in such nice shape. Hard to imagine it is 15 years old.

R U sure you didn't recently build that for your dog?

You can tell the truth! :)

Chris Barton
06-23-2007, 5:59 PM
What a cool piece! I'll bet this is a favorite with all the neighborhood kids.

Lori Kleinberg
06-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Very nice idea. That would be great to keep the sun off, except for who ever is pulling the wagon.

Roy Wall
06-24-2007, 2:58 PM
Ed,

Thanks for posting this.....it's cool!

All Terrain tires, ergonimic handle, rear reflectors, seat,.........it's got it all!

Larry Crim
06-24-2007, 4:23 PM
Thats cool nice idea.
larry