PDA

View Full Version : Buying laminate

Laurie Brown
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Is there anyplace to go where they stock laminate sheets to buy so I don't have to special order them and wait? I've been to the borgs in this area and everything it seems is special order.

I'm in Roanoke, in case that helps.

Byron Trantham
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Laurie, I think you will have to order what you want. Have you looked at those chains with all the color/finish options? There are probably a hundred of them. Imagine trying to stock all the possibilites?

dan moran
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
are there any formica/countertop shops around you?

depending on what you need/want their might be some help there.

i know the orange place by me stocks a few common styles- white/black/and a couple of stone patterns but nothing else.

but as byron says-- the possibilities with that stuff are limitless and it would be very hard to have all of it on hand all the time..

Jim Becker
06-23-2007, 10:46 AM
The local 'borgs here stock some basic laminate colors/selections, both in full sheets and quarter sheets. But what these stores stock tends to be governed by demand...perhaps in your area, there is little request for this material. Try a regular full-service lumber yard that caters to builders as well as talk to local counter shops about sources. You can also contact the major manufacturers for sources.

Bruce Wrenn
06-23-2007, 9:56 PM
Is there anyplace to go where they stock laminate sheets to buy so I don't have to special order them and wait? I've been to the borgs in this area and everything it seems is special order.

I'm in Roanoke, in case that helps.Roanoke Plywood and Plastics, 701 Gainsboro Rd NW, Roanoke VA, 540-344-2079 Hope this helps. Here in central NC, we have sister company, Raleigh Hardwood Center.

Greg Cuetara
06-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Not sure that this helps you at all but around here in Maine they stock 4'x8' sheets different colors etc....i actually was able to sift through and find a piece which had a 4"x4" chunk out of a corner and they gave it to me for like $10 because they couldn't sell it for full price...good deal considering I didn't need the whole sheet...good luck with your search

Noah Katz
06-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Just what material is laminate?

Is it melamine, and is that the same as Formica?

Bob McGovern
06-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Noah: plastic laminate is Formica/Wilsonart. Phenolic resin core with a melamine-type thermofused paper facing.

Laurie: Yep. A full-service lumberyard should have sample chains of both Wilsonart & Formica & be able to get most patterns in two or three days. I go thru my local for small jobs; have an account with a Denver wholesaler for bigger jobs. DO be aware the laminate comes in stock widths and length, is shipped rolled up in very heavy-duty boxes (typically), and gruesome freight and packaging charges may apply. To wit, I've occasionally paid more for S&H than for the laminate, for which I usually pay $5/sqft retail or $2.50 wholesale.

Bruce Wrenn
06-24-2007, 11:00 PM

I'm in Roanoke, in case that helps.Meyer Laminates, 3631 Aerial Way Dr SW, Roanoke VA, 857-0425. With Meyer, you may have to purchase through a building supply company and then pick up at their place. Here in Raleigh, I can buy wholesale from both Raleigh Hardwood Center and Web-Don. Because of volume discounts, I go to BORG and order from Web-Don with customer pickup. Their price is lower than mine, even with their mark up. There is a BORG less than mile from Web-Don, so this makes it easy for me. Best of luck!