PDA

View Full Version : 3M Air Mask

Kenneth D. Stein
06-23-2007, 8:59 AM
I have heard of a 3M Air Mask that pumps in fresh air from outside the room. Yet I have not seen it in any catalogs. I would be obliged for any information and sources of supply.

Thanks.

Matt Meiser
06-23-2007, 9:24 AM
Ken, in the auto body repair industry they use what I think you are talking about. It is a mask which attaches to an air pump in another room so that they aren't breathing the paint fumes. Automotive paints contain nasty stuff like isocyanates (sp?) that can't just be filtered by a respirator.

Here (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HP) is an example of what they look like.

John Schreiber
06-23-2007, 9:58 AM
I couldn't find the thread, but a couple of months ago, we discussed a DIY version. It would only be appropriate for non-critical applications, but one of the members had made one which appeared quite effective. It involved a computer fan, dryer vent duct work, a face shield and zip ties.

Seems that you can solve the problem quite effectively on the cheap.

John Shuk
06-23-2007, 10:04 AM
A friend in the auto body biz uses one after many years using nothing but a regular mask. He swears by it and say that his paint jobs come out better now that he isn't intoxicated by the fumes any more.

craig caldwell
06-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Hello Kenneth,
I think I saw the mask you are referring to at Island Woodcraft in Port Coquitlam, BC Canada. It has been there for a while and they might be willing to unload it at a good price.
I'm not sure about posting a link but if you google Island Woodcraft it should be #1.
I doubt it is listed but they have it in stock so a phone call would help.
If they cant find it tell the guy that it is on top of the display above the Vicmarc 100 lathe beside all of the oneway accessories.

craig

Bob Feeser
06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Face masks, at least professional ones come in 2 versions. One is a simple pre-filter, with a charcoal filter underneath, and then the other mask is one with a "chemical cartridge" that catches the fumes as well. That is what is required when using 2 part urethanes with hardener. That is the type of paint with isocyanates in them. I used to call it iso cyanide. Definitely nasty stuff, but it makes for a heck of a nice finish.

The fresh air supplied pump, hose, and hood system, pumps fresh air through a diaphram pump, (you can't used regular compressed air, it has oil in it), then sends it along the way using special hose, that is larger usually than standard air hose, and made from material that doesn't leach plastic odors, and finally pumped into a hood with a clear visor on it. The fresh air source is dervied by drilling a hole through your, for example cinderblock wall, sliding a pipe through the opening, and attached to an outside vent hood, to prevent rain from entering it. During the winter the cold air is not a problem because the diaphram pump generates heat, so the air is warmed automatically to a comfortable temperature.

The problem with a fresh air system, is that you are somewhat restricted in terms of mobility. With the hose attached to your helmet, which is initially attached to a special belt, so you are not tugging on your helmet when you walk around. The hose that the fresh air is coming through, in addition to the hose that the compressed air is coming through, means that you are lugging around 2 hoses while you are doing refinishing. Although manageable in a spray booth, when you are walking around in a wood shop, it can create more of a problem. For example if you are walking around a router table, as in all the way around, because the path you took, made it turn out that way, it would remind you of a dog who keeps getting caught by his leash.

I am not saying they are not extremely useful in a wood shop, because they are, but when they really come in handy is when you are doing a repetitive task. Let's say you are routing, stiles, rails, and panels, for a complete set of kitchen cabinets. That doesn't require you to move all over the shop. Standing at a single station, with your iPod on, and your helmet on, your in woodworking heaven. Absolutely fresh air, and tunes.

3M face mask respirators, like they have at Home Depot is your best defense with mobility, against the ultra fine, less than 1 micron dust, that is the worst enemy of your lungs.

Think about it. Your vac system is usually in the same room as you are. Even with the 1 micron bag it still lets out particles smaller than that. If you read the fine print, many only get 80 or 90 percent of particles that are 1 micron in size, so the 10 or 20 percent, they are sending out in the air. What about the stuff finer than that? I guess it is not caught very much at all.

Then, with our dust collectors in the ceiling, they spew out ultra fine dust all the time they are running. Just turn one on when you first arrive in the shop, and take a wiff, you can smell wood dust.

Your greatest protection is a great cyclonic vac system, parked outside of the shop, drawing a ton of air, like Onieda Air Systems has, albeit an expensive way to go, capturing the dust at the tool, before it gets in the air, although nothing catches all of it.

I love to have a 20" cheap box fan in the window during the summer months, with another open window providing cross ventilation. Then when I do a dusty procedure, which is just about all of them, I flip the 3M respirator up over my face. The rest of the time, I keep it on, like a bib while I am working, then just flip it up when I need it.

That is the bottom line. Go to Home Depot and get a 3M face mask with charcoal filters. It has a true leak proof fit, with adjustable straps. Don't even think about wearing one of those little paper masks, they leak real bad, it is almost like wearing nothing at all.

I have first hand experience at all of the above, both in a body shop, and wood working shop, and I own a pro fresh air system, and the 3M mask, and had a high end body shop, over 5000 square feet, with a separate building for the spray booth. My guys thought I was nuts for buying an 800 dollar fresh air system, it wasn't macho, but today my lungs are clear. I don't own the body shop any more, but I have expanded my home woodworking shop, with more stuff than I care to admit, yeah I have the fever too.
Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. Hope it helps. Take the time to protect the most important tool in the shop, and that is you.

Bob Feeser
06-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I have heard of a 3M Air Mask that pumps in fresh air from outside the room. Yet I have not seen it in any catalogs. I would be obliged for any information and sources of supply.

Thanks.

Ken here is a system 3M has which is a face mask style, rather than the complete hood I was talking about, and have.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTt5xfaOXF6EV76EbHSHVs 6EVs6E666666--

Here is a link that is the 3M page with all kinds of options on it.
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/safety/occ_health_safety/node_5RCNB30KD5be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_5SDD44F7DZge/gvel_W8678CX6WMgl/theme_us_ohes_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Here is a system, made by Allegro that is similar to the 3M system that I have, except it has a face mask, and mine is a complete hood, that covers down to the top of my shoulders. Notice the diaphram pump, which is what I was referring to in the post above this one.
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/images.php?id=3471&imgtype=L
The above system is $615 plus shipping. Here is the link; http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/supplied_air_respirator_system_fresh_air_respirato r_fullface_mask_one_man

This being a major purchase, of course shopping around is a good idea. Just use Google, and type in Fresh Air Supplied Respirator system, or something like that.

Joe Jensen
06-23-2007, 6:27 PM
There used to be a system advertised in Fine Woodworking. It was called something like Trend Air Shield or something like that. It had a helmet with face screen with an elastic fabric skirt that went against your face. There was a belt with a battery pack and blower with filter. The idea was to keep filtered fresh air under positive pressure against your face. I have a friend who has one. Unfortunately he is on vacation and I can't reach him to find the name.

If you have a 5 year old Fine Woodworking, try looking in the ads in back...joe

Joe Jensen
06-23-2007, 6:29 PM
Found a new self contained version.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4923

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web4923big.jpg

Joe Jensen
06-23-2007, 6:35 PM
Here is the one with a belt power pack. This is cheaper..joe
http://www.amazon.com/Triton-PRA001-Powered-Respirator/dp/customer-reviews/B0000DEZO8

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z79TNSX2L._AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000DEZO8/ref=dp_image_0/002-7490960-2569629?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi)

Matt Meiser
06-23-2007, 6:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Trend units are dust respirators and wouldnt' be suitable for finishing. The OP didn't state what he wanted the respirator for, but regardless of what you buy, make sure it is rated for the use you intend.

Charles Wilson
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Trend units?

Chuck

Alan Tolchinsky
06-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I have the Trend and like it. I've used it for turning and if I'm in an especially dusty environment. That said, I've seen no "official" ratings for its filtering capabilities unlike some other masks that are rated at "N95" and such.

Andrew Chavchich
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I have this mask.
consider it as very expensive anti-fogging glasses.

The idea is beautifull, a little air pump supplies air so you can breathe easily, but unfortunately it is leaky.

Anyone have any experience with the Trend units?

Chuck

Joe Jensen
06-26-2007, 1:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Trend units are dust respirators and wouldnt' be suitable for finishing. The OP didn't state what he wanted the respirator for, but regardless of what you buy, make sure it is rated for the use you intend.

I didn't get that the original poster was looking for a finishing mask. I'd never use these for finishing...joe