PDA

View Full Version : Yet another what jointer question.

Rich Engelhardt
06-23-2007, 8:45 AM
Hello,
I need a jointer.
I have about $150.00 in Home Depot bonus dollars that I plan to apply towards the purchase, so I'm narrowing my selection down to these three:

#1 - Delta Machinery 6 In. Variable-Speed Bench Jointer
Model JT160
$219.00

#2 - RIDGID 6 1/8 In. Stationary Joiner/planer
Model JP0610
$399.00

#3 - Delta Machinery JT360 Shopmaster 6 In. Stationary Jointer
Model JT360
$369.00

and in that order of selection.

My main concerns are:
- size - it has to be on the small size. I simply don't have room for anything larger.
- price - SWMBO has put the brakes on buying. The "gravy train" is over for the moment. It's either one of these three or nothing.
(I've tried to strain the purse strings for another ~ $70.00 for the Jet - but its just not there)
- availability of replacement blades. The Ridgid would be #1 except for the fact that HD is the only place I know of that sells Ridgid. If they go under, I'm afraid parts will become unavailable.
- weight. The Delta weighs 41 pounds. That would be ideal since I could move it easily. Part of my use for this may be as a portable job site tool.
OTOH - I believe the light weight may be a detriment and induce a lot of vibration.

Uses:
- Probably just edge joining, so a 6" for the moment is fine.
- Light use. At this point I can only forsee light - as in probalby not more than a few hundred linear feet.
- Mostly for making jigs, not for making finished projects w/the exception of "jigs" that are themselves finished projects - like a router table for instance.

Time frame - not immediate. I have a few months where I can get by without one.

Alternatives - I'm open to anything/suggestions for an alternative.
Seriously if a handplane will get the job done, then I don't mind investing the time needed to learn how.

Matt Day
06-23-2007, 10:17 AM
First make sure you really *need* a jointer. If you're just edge jointing, you can easily joint an edge with a straight edge and a router.

Secondly, if you do decide to buy a jointer, bigger is always better when it comes to this tool.

John Shuk
06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
The Rigid is a fine jointer. I bought mine under similar circumstances and did it with confidence after getting very positive feedback on that machine. The manual and packaging of the assembly parts was outstanding and it is a joy to use. Even a jointer comparison in Fine Woodworking a few years back gave it good reviews. With out of pocket cost about $250 I would pull the trigger.
I would however check out the box a bit at the HD since I've found that they aren't exactly gentle with the forklifts. Perhaps if you have more than one HD in the area you could call them and see has the most of these in stock and cherry pick the best most intact carton. That is what I did.
Good luck.

Art Mann
06-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I have the Ridgid jointer and have been very pleased with it. My only complaint is that it needs to be 8" or more wide. I have compared it with the Delta, side by side, and I think it is better made. I am afraid you will be disappointed with any tabletop unit unless all you build is bird houses and jewelry boxes. It is just too small for longer pieces. The variable speed is useless in my view as I see no reason for any other speed than maximum.

Don't worry about where to buy replacement knives as they are a standard size that is available from Freud or Sears.

Charles Jackson III
06-23-2007, 11:35 AM
U can always join with a No 7 or No 8 Jointer Plane.

Michael Schwartz
06-23-2007, 12:44 PM
If all you want to do is edge joint you can use a router and a strait edge, or set up a router table as a jointer.

Spend your money on a portable thickness planer instead and if you need to face joint a board you can make a sled out of MDF.

The Ridged is hands down the best of the three, don't waste your money on a benchtop jointer, and features like variable speed are a gimmick. You don't see top of the line shop models with stuff like this. If a company feels they need a gimmick to sell a product, be verry weary about it.

glenn bradley
06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Do you have a planer? I have the small Delta jointer and really wish I would have just saved my money. A good planer sled will get you through the wide stuff (about $25 in materials)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58735

and a straight edge with a router or a good TS blade will handle the edges.

Just food for thought as I know how it is when money is tight. I'm saving for a larger jointer as I've learned that for that function the 6" just wasn't usable on enough of the things I needed a jointer for. It was easier to work around it.

Michael Merrill
06-23-2007, 3:34 PM
Well, I can confirm those who have said to stay away from the bench top models. I have one and although I have jointer stock much longer than it is designed for, it is hard work using it. I have to make many passes and use roller stands to extend the outfeed that disrupts the accuracy.

I would strongly recommnd one of the other models. I'll probably move to a better tool soon.

Jeff Raymond
06-23-2007, 4:16 PM
As usual, here's my contrary-minded view.

Get out of HD and look at the want ads. Find yourself a vintage Rockwell for the same or less money and it will last you the rest of your life.

End of rant.

Art Mann
06-23-2007, 4:36 PM
As usual, here's my contrary-minded view.

Get out of HD and look at the want ads. Find yourself a vintage Rockwell for the same or less money and it will last you the rest of your life.

End of rant.

That may be good advice in some areas, but where I live it is practically useless. Good used woodworking equipment is very scarce and commands a premium price. I have been looking for a cabinet saw for over a year in all the normal places. In that time, I have seen 2 for sale that were worth persuing. Neither was available by the time I called. If I had to wait and buy used woodworking equipment, I would still be using a handsaw and a pocket knife.

Dave MacArthur
06-23-2007, 5:34 PM
Rich,

I just got on Craigslist and looked at every city in NE Ohio...wow, not much available! Though there are about 6 places to check. Anyways, here is a guy selling an 8" Grizzly that would be good. He is asking $600 Or Best Offer. In my experience, if you showed up with $400 cash, you could get it. I recently got a "$1000" unused DJ-20 8" delta jointer for $700. Give it a try!

I know you said you didn't have space, but a jointer is one tool that you can put up against a wall, or in front of a garage door, and just open the garage. You can get a mobile base for cheap, and they store pretty nicely.

Good luck, however you go, just thought I'd look for a decent used one for ya ;) .... ok, am I a "used tool craigslist junkie" or what???
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/tls/355591647.html

Rich Engelhardt
06-24-2007, 8:12 AM
Hello,
Thanks for all the input.
Everyone confirmed what I suspected about the table-top model, that it's pretty much a waste of money.

I believe I might, at this point, be further ahead by simply making a dedicated router based jointer. I do have a spare router (my orignal old Craftsman), albeit, a 1/4" collet, laying around gathering dust.

Pat Germain
06-24-2007, 8:28 PM
Might as well put that Craftsman router to use. Even if it starts belching fire after a few uses, at least you got a few uses out of it. ;)

I plugged in and turned on my Shop Fox 8" jointer for the very first time just a few hours ago. Wow, what a machine! When I first started to put it together, I was wondering if I had bought more machine, and spent more money, than I needed. Not! Those long beds are sah-weet! That 8" of capacity is grrrrrr-eat! Anything less and I'd be disappointed.

Thus, if you can't buy a real beast of a jointer, I'm also thinking the router table option would be a better bet. For the price of a small jointer, you could build a killer router table with more versatility.

Jeff Raymond
06-24-2007, 9:19 PM
It is my feeling about stationary power equipment that mass is important.

I ain't no physicist, but what I have discovered is that a good, heavy machine with a motor whirring, belts flapping and knives rolling creates a great deal of error into the very tiny spot you are planing, joining or whatever.

The mass of a large machine absorbs, or seems to, much of this and you wind up with a much finer cut and much more control

Now I promise to go back to sleep.