PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Desk finished

Rick de Roque
06-23-2007, 3:14 AM
Well, I finally finished the walnut desk. Its part of the bedroom set I’m making. Here are the other pieces:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46059

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35145

Its made of solid walnut I cut and dried myself. Nothing new on this desk just as on the other pieces in the set I used solid walnut for the back also and used ash for the drawers and drawer bottoms. Also there are over 480 dovetails for the case joinery and the drawers. Thanks goodness for the D4. The center drawer front is book matched with the top right and left drawers are also book matched to give the three drawers some flow. Sliding dovetails for all the drawer dividers. Loose tendons for the web frames. Its 60” x 23” x 29 1/2” tall. Graduated drawers with the finish of BLO, shellac with a top coat of Waterlox varnish. Just have the blanket chest and the bed left to do and I will be done with the set. Thanks for looking.

Rick

Jack Ferrell
06-23-2007, 6:35 AM
You have made an exceptionally nice piece Rick. I really like this style. You did an excellent job on planing out the drawer front appearance which is something I really need to work on. Thanks for showing it.

Karl Laustrup
06-23-2007, 6:51 AM
Exceptionally nice desk Rick. Beautiful wood and great execution.

It looks great in the pictures, but I'll bet it looks even better in person.

Karl

Mike Cutler
06-23-2007, 6:54 AM
Very nice Rick. Good size, pleasing proprotions,and the attention to the grain on the drawer fronts was very well done.
I really like the fact that just as much attention was paid to the back. The desk can be placed against a wall, or in the center of a room.
Nice work!

David Wilson
06-23-2007, 6:58 AM
Outstanding job!

Eugene A. Manzo III
06-23-2007, 7:52 AM
Very Nice job !!

Do you have plans or was this your design ? I would like to build one for my wife . I love the feet excellent job.

Jim Podsedly
06-23-2007, 8:17 AM
Excellent workmanship. That is a fine looking desk.

How did you do the back panels? are they raised panels made from solid walnut?

Jim

Dan Oliphant
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Rick, that is one purdy piece, well done. Love the finish work.

Jim Becker
06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow, that's a beauty, Rick. The figure on all the drawers is outstanding, including the matching. Wonderful piece!

Richard M. Wolfe
06-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Outstanding, Rick!

Great design, proportions, execution and finishing. Beautiful wood, especially with the booking. I seem to be getting a mania for bookmatching myself.

Dave MacArthur
06-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Beautiful! The matching drawer fronts with that fan figure just look great!

Rick de Roque
06-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Very Nice job !!

Do you have plans or was this your design ? I would like to build one for my wife . I love the feet excellent job.

No plans just just set some design parameters for the bedroom set with the boss (LOML) and then designed the set from ideas my wife and I liked.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Rick

Rick de Roque
06-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Excellent workmanship. That is a fine looking desk.

How did you do the back panels? are they raised panels made from solid walnut?

Jim

The back panels are solid walnut. They are 3/4" thick just like the rail and stiles so they are flush with both sides since the center two panels are seen on both sides.

Rick

Bob Feeser
06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
You should accidentally have part of this piece sitting in front of a mirror, the back is so beautiful, it would be ashame to hide it against a wall. Well done, nice job. I Loooooooooooooove walnut, and your use of it really balances the piece so well. What did you use for the drawer sides?

Jeff Raymond
06-23-2007, 1:40 PM
Nice work!

Thanks for posting your project here.

I agree with you about the woman thing. :D

James Kuhn
06-23-2007, 3:39 PM
...Its made of solid walnut I cut and dried myself. Rick

I was super impressed with the patterning and layout before even reading this line. Now I'm speechless.

Quick question: What does the shellac "do" between the BLO and Waterlox? Tint?

Dennis Peacock
06-23-2007, 4:58 PM
So THIS is where you've been.!!!!! Very beautiful Rick!!!!! Totally awesome bud. Congrats on a very beautiful job well done. Can't wait to see it in person some time. :D

Chris Barton
06-23-2007, 6:02 PM
Absolutely magnificent! Excellent craftsmanship!

Ron Fritz
06-23-2007, 6:45 PM
Rick, Thanks for sharing. Very nicely done. Excellent craftsmanship! Ron

Irvin Cooper
06-23-2007, 7:29 PM
Very, Very impressive work! I love the design, proportions, and the finish is incredible!

Good job.

Irv

Howie French
06-23-2007, 7:51 PM
Rick, I really like this piece.., design,wood, finish, workmanship.... all
excellent. A beautiful piece all around.

Howie

Rick de Roque
06-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Quick question: What does the shellac "do" between the BLO and Waterlox? Tint?

I don't think it adds any color when its under the varnish but I'm able to put the shellac down then sanded and ready to put the first coat of varnish on in one day. It also helps if there is any contaminates because the shellac takes care of it and the varnish might not.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick de Roque
06-23-2007, 10:36 PM
What did you use for the drawer sides?

The drawer sides and bottoms are made of ash. I use Ash because it was one of the trees I was able to cut down and dry. It has worked well and I like the look.
Thanks,
Rick

Garth Keel
06-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Walnut is beautiful and the desk is perfect from every angle. Do you think you could put it in the cener of a room so all sides could be admired?

John Schreiber
06-24-2007, 12:30 AM
That is an heirloom of the future. Quality through and through.

Rob Will
06-24-2007, 12:41 AM
All the pieces look great Rick. I would like to see more detail on how you did the drawers, how you selected the bookmatch, and how the tree was cut and dried.

Rob

Joe Unni
06-24-2007, 8:47 AM
Very beautiful Rick.

I'm just now finishing up my first project with walnut. Its actually kind of fun to work.

Thanks for showing,
-joe

Bruce Page
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Wow, that is exceptional work. The drawer fronts are stunning.

Tim Malyszko
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
The desk is freakin' amazing. Someday, I want to build some office furniture for my office at work. The walnut desk you built is exceptional.:D

Larry Crim
06-24-2007, 4:29 PM
WOW!! Butiful grain selection.
larry

Rick de Roque
06-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. I spent a lot of time trying to get the drawer fronts right. Must have spent more than a week (off and on) studying different woods till I got the look I wanted. When I show family members stuff that I do, they like it, but they don't realize what it takes to get the little things like the drawer fronts just right. Thats why its nice to have other woodworkers critique the work because you guys understand its the little things that make the piece. Thanks again.

Rick

Roy Wall
06-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments. I spent a lot of time trying to get the drawer fronts right. Must have spent more than a week (off and on) studying different woods till I got the look I wanted. When I show family members stuff that I do, they like it, but they don't realize what it takes to get the little things like the drawer fronts just right. Thats why its nice to have other woodworkers critique the work because you guys understand its the little things that make the piece. Thanks again.

Rick

Rick - the desk is superb.......grain matching, panels, all of it!!!

How do you rough cut your lumber? I think you have great "vision" by the way you cut your own lumber.........getting the wood to talk from the beginning is nice when you can bring the grain out! I'm at the mercy of the lumber yard.... I take it home and plane it and then go from there.

NICE WORK!!!!

Rick de Roque
06-25-2007, 1:26 AM
All the pieces look great Rick. I would like to see more detail on how you did the drawers, how you selected the bookmatch, and how the tree was cut and dried.

Rob

How do you rough cut your lumber? I think you have great "vision" by the way you cut your own lumber.........getting the wood to talk from the beginning is nice when you can bring the grain out! I'm at the mercy of the lumber yard.... I take it home and plane it and then go from there.
Roy Wall

Roy and Rob,
The drawers are lipped on 3 sides with 1/2 blind DT's at all 4 corners. I used Ash for the drawer sides and bottom. The book match was done after looking at about all the figured walnut I have, the when I found what I wanted It took awhile to get it to flow. The center is book matched to give it the fan look, then book matched the other two top drawers but turn them around which gives it better flow. Thats my thinking anyway.

After cutting the tree I have the trunk (straight logs) cut at the sawmill 4/4 to 8/4 but take figured (crotch) wood to a different sawmill that will let me help him so I can get the figure cut just the way I want it. Cost more but I think its worth it.I then dry it in the backyard. My wife is very nice to let me do it.

Rick

Jeffrey Makiel
06-25-2007, 6:40 AM
That's some beautiful craftsmanship. The grain selection is excellent...it has a very elegant appearance. A very stately piece indeed.

Well done!

-Jeff :)