PDA

View Full Version : Results of the help from Creekers

Greg Crawford
06-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Not too long ago I posted about my Dad's old Stanley Handyman plane. I got a great deal of help, much of it PM'd from Ian Smith. I haven't gotten any stones yet, but just from hand sharpening on my TS wing with sandpaper, I got the results in the picture. From what I've read and seen, those curlys are what I'm after. The wood is soft maple, and the edge is nice and smooth. I can't wait to get this plane really sharp and try it on some other wood. You guys got me hooked. I'll be constantly looking at ways to do things with hand tools from now on. Of course, this means I'll also have to be getting some more hand tools. Ugh, ugh, ughhhh.

Thanks from a grateful son remembering his Dad.

Ryan Cathey
06-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Wow, those are nice curls for Handyman!

John Schreiber
06-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Have you heard of the slippery slope? Just try to maintain your balance as you go down.

Dominic Greco
06-23-2007, 1:46 PM
Greg,
Well done!!! I always get a thrill out of seeing people restore old tools to working condition. And from the looks of those shavings, you've done a great job. But knowing that this was your Dad's hand plane makes it all the more special.

I have the exact same Stanley "Handyman" plane. It was given to me by my Dad who passed away several years ago. He told me he bought it for $1 at a flea market! As a little kid I can remember looking at on my father's workbench (which was the counter and cabinets from an old kitchen):D . It was the first plane I had ever restored and sharpened. I too used the sandpaper method.

Just before he passed away, my Dad was over my house. I brought him into the shop to show him what I'd been working on. I pulled out that plane and let him "take it for a ride". I can remember him whistling and saying, "How did you get it to perform like this!". I know he was pleased to see his old tool being treated properly and being put to good use.

While I have other planes with a "better" pedigree, they will never make me feel the way I do as when I use my Dad's hand plane.

BTW, I have just switched from water stones exclusively BACK to sandpaper sharpening followed by honing with a waterstone. I establish the bevel with my grinder, sharpen on sandpaper from 60 grit all the way to 1500 grit. Then hit the 4000 grit waterstone.

Get yourself a nice flat piece of glass about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. If you get it wide enough, you can have room to have rows of different grit sandpaper next to each other. I cut my sandpaper to 3 1/2" wide and have (3) rows on each side of the glass sheet. Then I have one extra piece of glass with the ultra fine grit sandpaper glued to it. If you're curious, I use 3M #77 spray adhesive from Home Depot to glue the paper to the glass. It comes off with mineral spirits.

See ya around,
Dominic