PDA

View Full Version : Deer Antler Pen

Shane Whitlock
06-22-2007, 9:49 PM
I gave a buddy at work a pen and in turn he gave me some deer antler, with a promise of more if I like it ... I like it!

Turns real easy and shines like a bright penny (not the best pic to show the gloss off, still need to fix my lights :( ). The marrow has a nice purple color to it.

The hardest part was drilling the holes, not because this stuff is very hard, but because the antlers curved so much. I wasn't sure if I was going to find a piece straight enough on the spikes to turn.

Anyways ... Here it is. Deer antler slimline. I copied Patrick and put a slight bulge in the middles. I like it but I think they could of been just a little bit skinnier.

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/gallery/d/1417-1/IMG_0281.jpg

Comments/Critiques always appreciated.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2007, 9:56 PM
Shane that is a classy pen. I really like it.

Keith Burns
06-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Dang Shane, thats a great looking pen !!!

Gilbert Vega
06-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Very nice pen Shane!! As far as drilling a center hole, you might want to try putting the antler section between center and rotating it to find the best axis for drilling. The ghost seen while spinning will tell you if you have enough material for the drill bit. Shift the centers to find the best axis. I turn it round and then drill the hole.

Barry Stratton
06-22-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm a sucker for antler pens and that is a BEAUTY!!!

Patrick Taylor
06-23-2007, 12:17 AM
I like it! The bulges are nice, but I think I too might make them a wee bit skinnier. I'm glad you liked mine enough to try it. :D

Can you sand this stuff? How do you finish it?

Curt Fuller
06-23-2007, 1:14 AM
Great looking pen Shane!

Paul Heely
06-23-2007, 6:05 AM
Nice looking pen. I have some antler sitting here that needs to be turned into pens soon. Anything special about turning or finishing?

--
Paul

Terry Quiram
06-23-2007, 8:13 AM
Shane

Well done. I made an antler slimline that didn't turn out nearly as well as yours. Mine was "slim" but I like the shape of yours much better.

Terry

Ernie Nyvall
06-23-2007, 9:45 AM
That's a fine pen Shane.

I know what you mean about drilling those out. I've done one and chauked it up to luck hat I didn't come out the side.:)

Ken LaSota
06-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Shane nice looking pen.
Ken