PDA

View Full Version : Please confirm this is Maple

Ron Hipp
06-22-2007, 9:19 PM
Please confirm this bowl is indeed Maple for a species challenged turner? :) If not can you suggest what wood it is? The foot is not finished the Donut Chuck is in the works.. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Thanks
Ron

Jim Becker
06-22-2007, 9:23 PM
Ron, your photos are unfortunately out of focus and the piece is too small within them. Try to get closer and get things sharper...folks will be better able to help you. It's important to be able to see the grain and figure when attempting to identify a wood species.

Oh, and welcome to SMC!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2007, 9:58 PM
Jim said it best. They are a little out of focus so hard to tell. Welcome by the way to SMC.

Ron Hipp
06-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks any way.
Ron

Curt Fuller
06-23-2007, 12:50 AM
It looks like it could be maple or box elder, which is in the maple family. Nice bowl!

Bill Boehme
06-23-2007, 2:11 AM
Ron, welcome to SMC. Nice bowls, but as Jim and others have said, it is hard to tell since the picture is a bit small and fuzzy. I would have guessed sycamore, but that would just be a wild guess. Can you get your camera about two feet from the bowl and take a picture with the flash off. Also, sit the bowl on something that is neutral colored rather than a white towel. The white will cause the camera's exposure sensor to not expose properly.

Bill

Randy Rhine
06-23-2007, 2:40 AM
Hmmm..I was thinking maybe white ash. But, like others have said, hard to tell with the small fuzzy pics.

randy

Tom Sherman
06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Ron that is nice little bowl, can't help with the id but Welcome to the Creek.
Don't stop now let's see more.

Ron Hipp
06-23-2007, 5:28 PM
Appreciate the comments, I'll play some with the camera to see if I can get some better pic's and post later..

Andy Hoyt
06-23-2007, 5:56 PM
Looks like another example of Attic Wood.:cool:

Chris Barton
06-23-2007, 6:23 PM
As others have suggested, the pics are difficult to read for species. It does look like it might possibly be a piece from ambrosia maple but, like has been already suggested, its distinct growth rings that are far apart tends to suggest ash instead. Does it need to be maple?

Ron Hipp
06-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Bill, I tried to do as you suggested neutral back ground and closer.
New pics below..

Chris, just trying to find out the type of wood...

Bill Boehme
06-24-2007, 4:14 AM
Ron, I am not an expert at identifying maple since it is not all that plentiful in Texas. It does have wide growth rings, but the high color contrast between the heartwood and sapwood make me think that it is something else. Did it have a "cow patty" smell when turning it? If so, sycamore is what I am thinking that it could be.

Nice pictures and nice form on the bowls. It appears that you have very nice and even wall thickness. I like the smooth and delicate curved shape that doesn't overpower the size of the bowl. How long have you been turning?

Bill

Jim Becker
06-24-2007, 9:50 AM
Bill, soft maple has much darker heart than hard maple, so it's possible this is something in the maple family.

Ron, is this wood very smooth? (no noticeable grain texture)

William Bachtel
06-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Looks like Silver Maple, I have turned lots of it, usually will have a small brown heart. 80% on the sure side of it being S/Maple.

Kurt Whitley
06-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't know woods very well, but could it be Ash?
That is what I thought of, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how it might be ruled out.
Ash has a more open grain than Maple, but I can't tell from the picture.

Cheers,
Kurt

Ron Hipp
06-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Bill, no "cow patty smell" to the wood. Have been turning for a year this is the second bowl...

Jim, the wood is glass smooth after sanding to 500 grit. No noticeable grain the oak bowls number 1 and 3 are heavly grained noticeable after sanding...

Kurt, I have a rolling pin that I turned that has ash included. Doesn't appear to be the same. However, if i knew for sure I wouldn't be asking the question, grin..

Thanks to all for the kind comments on the bowl... And appreciate the probable confirmation as the bowl indeed being maple..

William Bachtel
06-25-2007, 7:54 AM
It is not Ash, it is Maple.