PDA

View Full Version : Installing hardwood floors on concrete slab

Greg Crawford
06-22-2007, 9:10 PM
I own a home that's about 8 years old, and would like to replace the carpet with hardwood. I've read about the different installation methods, and have talked with several people that install flooring. From what I've gathered, there is no agreement on the best installation method, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with their floors on concrete.

I want to put in solid 3/4" thick Brazilian Cherry about 3" wide. I don't like the hollow sound of the laminates, and I don't want to wind up with that type of sound with solid wood, either. I also don't want to raise the floor a great deal, as there is tile in the kitchen and carpet in the bedroom, and would like as little height difference as possible. I'm leaning toward a 6 mil poly vapor barrier with 3/4" plywood on top, fastened to the concrete with concrete fastening nails, then nailing the hardwood to the plywood.

I live in the Houston area, but with AC, I don't think the humidity in the house should pose too many problems. Any comments, especially from someone that has had floors for several years in a humid climate?

Thanks

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2007, 10:48 PM
It's my understanding that you do not install 3/4 hardwood floors onto a slab. I've seen it done different ways for concrete but your wishes rule them out. I have "engineered" hardwood flooring cemented onto concrete floors with no problems to date. I've only seen this and "floating" floors on concrete.

Joe Chritz
06-23-2007, 9:57 AM
Ditto above.

Unless the manufacturer has something about installation giving the blessing to concrete I would look for another way.

Have you thought about the floating floors that have a real wood veneer. Basically a plywood base with about 1/8" wood veneer. They are rated for concrete and would have less "thump" than an engineered floor.

Thicker or double padding helps some in the way the floor sounds.

Joe

Greg Crawford
06-23-2007, 10:30 AM
The info on using plywood came from "American Hardwood Information Center" and was copyrighted by "Hardwood Manufacturers Association". They also describe setting sleepers in mastic, which sounds like a great idea, but would raise the floor a bit more than plywood. I went to their page, and they list hundreds of members. This seemed to be a better way to get to the bottom of things, since their are companies stating their products can be installed in ways that go against the "old school" methods. Some companies will say anything to get a consumer's money. Does anyone know if this Association is worth listening to?

I have looked at the veneered plywood, and it seems like a good second choice. I sure would like to do solid wood if I can, though. I'm in no rush, so I've got the time to do my homework so I get it right.

Doyle Alley
06-23-2007, 8:05 PM
Down here in Florida probably 95% of houses are on slabs. Nobody will use solid wood. There is just too much moisture change from the concrete. The flooring of choice (other than that ugly plastic laminate junk) is engineered wood. It looks good, is pre-finished, and goes down pretty easily.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Consider applying an epoxy sealant to the concrete first and don't use any fasteners as they will be moisture penetration points Then consider adding some height. I kno0 you don't want to but you may have to to get the floor vented and supported the way you want

Ken Garlock
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
When we built back in 2002, we briefly talked about hardwood flooring. We then decided on good ole carpet. In this neck of the woods, the contractor said that 3/4" plywood was laid on top of the slab and the flooring over that. I have not seen that process in person, but I do trust my contractor.

If you anticipate a moisture problem, sealing the slab with epoxy paint is a good idea. ) It would be a better idea to paint the slab before the interior framing takes place.)

My advice is worth what you paid....