PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jet Performax Warranty

John Weber
01-12-2004, 9:49 PM
Two years ago this coming weekend I bought my Performax 16/32 and have been very pleased. After a couple minor issues and several paper rolls wasted I got the hang of it, and the machine worked great. After about a year the DC motor started buzzing. I called Performax and the said not to worry, now the motor is buzzing much worse and there is a loud metal grinding sound as well. The motor also seems to get hotter then it should. With my limited shop time the machine has seen light use, so I don't think I wore out the motor. I think the motor is about shot and Performax should replace it. Any word on how to approach them? My guess is they will say since it still runs it's ok. But after working in Plant Engineering and Maintenance for six years I have some idea of how motors fail. Thanks for any thoughts.

John

Mark Singer
01-12-2004, 10:20 PM
John,
That is now owned by Jet (WMH) They stand behind everything from my expeince. They took back my 18"bandsaw after a year and sent me a new one...no questions asked. It had a vibration problem...they agreed and said they were changing the design. They sent the new one out. Call them , if you are still in Warranty there should be no problem. Call them soon!
Mark

Martin Shupe
01-13-2004, 1:13 AM
John,

Call them TODAY and demand a new motor. State plainly that your motor is failing and you expect them to honor their warranty and ship you a new one TODAY. Then start a diary of every phone call and what was discussed.

Then follow up your phone call with a registered letter stating that your motor is shot and you expect a new one.

Ask them for the local Jet authorized motor repair guy. Take it to him, and ask for a written report on the state of the motor.

Document and maintain copies of everything you send them.

Once you are a day past your warranty, you will get nothing from Jet.

For more info, read my thread on my tablesaw motor.

Time is of the essence. I don't know if they were trying to delay you on purpose, but don't wait until your warranty expires. This problem must be addressed immediately if you want them to do what they should do anyway.

Good luck.

Martin

John Weber
01-13-2004, 10:11 AM
I called this morning, they are going to replace it, no questions asked. WOW! I guess I jsut talked to someone that was having a bad day last time. Thanks for the comments.

John