PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 55 - Am I missing Anything?

David Weaver
06-22-2007, 7:01 PM
This is a semi-gloat, but with questions - and could turn into a cry if I'm missing anything.

I just got my Stanley 55 in the mail today - got it off the bay, and I can't tell if I'm missing anything. If I am, that's where it could turn into a cry.

The seller didn't claim it was complete, and because of that, I think I got a decent deal. There are no cracks and none of the threads anywhere are blown out.

I got the lee valley reprint of the original manual, and will be getting the book mentioned in another thread.

Thanks for your help guys.

Barry Vabeach
06-22-2007, 9:44 PM
David, it looks pretty complete to me - the only thing I don't see in your picture is an additional shoe for the auxiliary center bottom ( I had to go look at all the parts to my plane to be sure) and I am not even sure that was included in your plane originally, it is not referenced in my brief review of the 55 manual reprint by Astragal. It looks like you got a nice haul hope you enjoy using it. Barry

Jim Haddox
06-23-2007, 9:08 AM
David, Take a look at Patrick Leach's website. He has a parts list and diagram of the #55 in the Blood & Gore section.

Jim

David Weaver
06-23-2007, 12:49 PM
It looks like it's pretty complete. It came out of an estate, and the seller said his grandfather was using it, though most of the cutters haven't been honed at all.

The next thing to tackle is sharpening it given the lack of support before and after the cutter.

Am I out of the water to think that I can get some high grit wet and dry sandpaper and use it on the curved pieces with contour sanding blocks?

I can do the backs with the waterstones I already have, but I need something for the front, and I don't want to unload $100 on a bunch of slipstones if those aren't the best way to sharpen. With the amount of use the tool will get, it isn't necessary to have the fastest way to sharpen, either.

Paul Chapman
06-23-2007, 2:11 PM
Hi David,

For honing the bevel side of the shaped cutters I've had some success making up wheels from MDF, fitting an arbour and then fitting that to an electric drill held in a horizontal drill stand. It's fairly easy to shape the MDF wheels to the shape of the cutter profile using rasps on the revolving wheel. I then put polishing compound on the wheel and hone the cutter freehand with the drill set to a very slow speed. The blades come up razor sharp:)

Hope this helps;)

Paul Chapman

Chuck Hamman
06-24-2007, 8:02 PM
David,
It appears that you are missing the cyanide pill that Stanley put in the bottom of each box, but that's not uncommon. Most likely the previous owner used it after trying to figure out how to make that thing work. ;-)
I've had some success with mine but I've almost lost my religion in the process.

But on the other hand, Jake Darvall can make those things get up and dance.

Good luck,
-Chuck

Jeffrey Larsen
06-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I too have been gloating over my new 55... I have a 45 and have been having fun making beads on pieces of wood, etc. Somehow, I envisioned the 55 being similar to the 45 but a little more complex.... I still haven't even tried to put it together. It looks complicated enough that I am hoping to get it together and maybe get it going within year from now...

Your 55 looks good! congratulations. Jeff